Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 02:06 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,284,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
You think going 81 MPH on the highway should be a felony?!

People like you are the problem with this country
Where in the world did you see where that poster wanted 81 mph to be a felony? Get real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 PM

158 posts, read 247,985 times
I grew up in Virginia and travel extensively for work. It wasn't until I started traveling that I realized it's not normal to have police hiding spots every mile on the interstate and them just camping out like predators.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 PM

60 posts, read 160,379 times
http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/g.../caseSearch.do

If you go to this website and find a hearing date for a certain county's court, you can see a cross section of the people who get pulled over. Looking at June 11th in Greensville County, you see a TON of people getting nabbed for 80/70, 81/70, 82/70, 83/70 and getting charged with reckless driving, which is a criminal offense.

But that is a notorious speed trap. I've been in Norfolk for three years and EVERYONE goes 10-15 miles over the speed limit, and I almost never see anyone get pulled over, except for the occasional trooper on I-64.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:40 AM

35,197 posts, read 31,523,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post
I grew up in Virginia and travel extensively for work. It wasn't until I started traveling that I realized it's not normal to have police hiding spots every mile on the interstate and them just camping out like predators.
I drove about 400 miles yesterday through TN, KY, OH, and IN. I did not see one LEO checking speed the whole way. If I had driven through VA, I would have likely seen more than one on the rural, sparsely populated stretches of road on my way.

You're correct in that it's not normal and I know several people who avoid VA as much as possible just due to traffic enforcement. Each state has a statewide forum and I can't think of any other state, even much bigger ones, where people are constantly posting about traffic enforcement issues.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:35 AM

40 posts, read 58,740 times
It sure does feel like a police state. I can't drive anywhere w/o see them hiding waiting to collect some dollars instead of going after shoplifters, doppers and other real criminals. We also have to pay yearly tribute to the county ( PP tax) to even own a car, truck, boat, motorcycle, airplane, anything with a title they can trace plus a lot of business equipment w/o a title.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:16 AM

6,423 posts, read 1,457,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_DC View Post
Hard to believe that you went to school in Virginia, Coastalbum. Please be advised that Kentucky (originally Kentucky County, Virginia) is also a Commonwealth. Likewise the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

(Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth also, but PR is not a State ... not yet anyway.)

People who drive up I-95 from NC at an excessive rate of speed should be damned glad when they read those warning signs on the highway as they cross the VA border (assuming they know how to read).

The Virginia State Police are just trying to help keep the rest of us who use the highway safe from the stupidity of reckless drivers and those who drive in an altered state.

And if you think that makes us a "Police State" you shouldn't be driving in Virginia! Sober up and ride Amtrak or call a taxi!
Thank you for correcting me Professor Dan! I did not major in History and I am sorry Sir!
Thank you for the history and knowledge regarding Kentucky and Pennsylvania.

Back on topic, I always come rollin up I-95 from NC , flyin as I hit the Police Line of VA. Such welcoming signs to VA! No welcome to our state, Enjoy your stay! No!
They read: Radar Detectors Illegal! Speed Enforced by Aircraft! Welcome to the Police State , the Commonwealth of Virginia!

I can assure you I am sober when I fly into Va in my 6 speed, and I don't take Amtrak because it is too slow! A taxi won't drive 6 1/2 hours from the south! So, give us a break and move to the right when I am rollin up at 75 hittin the VA line

Old 06-04-2014, 12:04 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,130,781 times
I lived in CO for 2 1/2 years and I think I saw a cop running radar just a handful of times there. I got a ticket for running a yellow light here a few years ago. I was driving with a friend in CO once who said UGH, why are you slamming on the brakes every time the light turns yellow. She said she's never heard of a cop writing a yellow light ticket there. I also know a few people who have gotten tickets here in VA for not coming to a full stop in a stop sign. Ridiculous. I drive interstate 64 to work everyday and it's not at all unusual for me to see 3 or 4 cars in hidden spots running radar going just one way. They sure love to write tickets here.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:43 PM

725 posts, read 1,243,746 times
Virginia is the worst I've ever seen in terms of heavy speed and other traffic enforcement. The Dulles Toll Road has an army of marked and unmarked car patrolling it and the access road every single day, and it's ridiculous how drivers are continously targeted day and night. When I first moved to Hampton Roads back in the day I think I got three regular speeding tickets the first year.

Completely different world from Houston and LA (and I'm sure pretty much anywhere else). Shameful.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:18 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,532,796 times
Idk. I live in rural NC and here police Chargers are everywhere waiting to pounce, sitting around curves waiting for unsuspecting speeders especially at night. I can't tell you how many Virginians I have seen pulled over. Contrast that to living in Virginia Beach and am used to seeing the cops sitting on 64. The only thing here is it may be easier to get rid of a ticket - if you know the right person.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:34 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,898,668 times
I gotta say, highways in VA are treacherous, especially on I-95. People drive way too fast, cut across lanes far too close to the next car's bumper, don't signal, run ahead and cut people off in a merge, etc. In Richmond City, I see so many people blow through stop signs, run red lights, and practically run pedestrians over that it's amazing that more people aren't killed.

All of that being said, people always seem to get upset when police enforce the law. Driving 15+ MPH over the speed limit? You deserve the ticket. Blow through a stop sign without even looking? You deserve the ticket. After all, driving is a privilege.

A police state refers to a body of government that exercises excessive control over the populace. People in a police state can expect to have their basic liberties (e.g. free speech, freedom of religion, etc.) constrained, and with little to no official definition around the enforcement of rules/laws/penalties. Many times this is in complete alignment with executive government directives.

Enforcing officially predefined and basic driving laws, which are there for purpose of public safety is hardly in alignment with the definition of a police state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia