Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 04:35 AM

11 posts, read 43,351 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Virginia from Ohio. My husband will be stationed at Naval Station Norfolk. We are looking for great schools, friendly people and safe shopping. Also, I am teacher so I will be looking for a job! We will not be able to spend more that 350K on a house.

Can anyone tell me if York County would be a reasonable commute for us? If not, can you recommend another area that would be similar and fit the bill? Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 07:23 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,981,758 times
York County Schools are great but the commute through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel daily could be a disaster. I know people that do it but it can be a challenge. some Virginia Beach schools are great as well. $350k should buy you a house you would be happy in both in York County and Va Beach. The commute from Virginia Beach to the Naval Station Norfolk would definitely be easier than the commute to York County. Chesapeake would be another area to consider.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:03 AM

798 posts, read 2,730,598 times
We lived in York County (by Langley AFB) and a number of our neighbors made the trip to the Norfolk Naval Station every day. The tunnel traffic can be a real pain some days and a smooth ride on others. I would look at both areas and check the schools to see what you think. If you are thinking about VA Beach, be aware that it can be a real pain in the summer months.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:50 PM

11 posts, read 43,351 times
Thank you so much for the info! I'd heard that the traffic was terrible, so I guess that is something we will have to keep in mind

Old 12-15-2007, 02:07 PM

798 posts, read 2,730,598 times
Have you been checking the Hampton Roads forum? I am not sure if you realize that the Naval Station is in that area.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:39 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,794,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofthree View Post
We are relocating to Virginia from Ohio. My husband will be stationed at Naval Station Norfolk. We are looking for great schools, friendly people and safe shopping. Also, I am teacher so I will be looking for a job! We will not be able to spend more that 350K on a house.

Can anyone tell me if York County would be a reasonable commute for us? If not, can you recommend another area that would be similar and fit the bill? Thanks so much in advance!
York Co. is a family's dream. Low crime, great schools, very clean. But one problem, that commute over the HRBT will be a nightmare. I would look at VA Beach and Chesapeake, mainly b/c of easier commute and not a big dropoff from the quality of life in York Co.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:10 AM

673 posts, read 3,147,913 times
I agree with Alanboy. York County has good schools and is a very nice area to live in. Housing has skyrocketed there just as well as everywhere else around here though. But the trip through the tunnel can be a big headache. Not always but if there is an accident in one tunnel you can guarantee a massive traffic back up in all the others as well as the James river Bridge. It is reasonable as long as traffic is going smoothly. Good luck with the move!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia