Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 06:31 PM

15 posts, read 53,665 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in York County and I was wondering if it's considered one of the nicer areas around the Hampton Roads area. Are there houses that are affordable and in safe neighborhoods? (low 200,000) Any info on the area would be greatly appreciated. If there are any areas surrounding York County that would be better to live in but still close enough to drive to work let me know! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 08:15 PM

798 posts, read 2,729,377 times
York County is very safe and a wonderful place to live. Buying a home in the low 200's may be possible but probably hard to find. (Not sure what size home you would need) York county is pretty spread out, so there are different areas to consider depending on your needs and where you will be working. Do you have school age children?

Old 06-14-2007, 06:03 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,979,608 times
You can buy a townhome or condo in York County in the low $200's . Some neighborhoods to consider would be Coventry, Grafton Woods, Glen Laurel or Willow Lakes. You can currently buy in these areas for $225k or less. Most detached homes in newer neighborhoods in York County will start in the $260k price range. These will be smaller homes approx 1500 sq feet. Please PM me if I can help.
v/r

Old 06-14-2007, 01:04 PM

11 posts, read 47,654 times
Default York County

I live in Yorktown and love it. Although I am leaving the area I can safely say throughout my travels around the US that Yorktown is one of the greatest places I have ever lived.
The Housing market is a little higher then one would expect but generally services are cheaper then DC where I came from, the weather is great, always a breeze, not as DC humid. Additionally, the people are fabulous, our first night in our house we received cookies and cakes from our neighbors, every day in the spring and summer kids and people are biking, rollerblading, walking, running and generally saying hi to their neighbors. Its pretty much fairytale land IMO. York county has several nice areas, I picked Yorktown because I have less chance of flooding as we are prone to bad storms.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 32,602 times
I lived and taught in York County for two years and cried when I had to move . It's an idyllic, wonderful place in the midst of the craziness of the Hampton Roads area.

The Hylton (sp?) area of Newport News is also a nice adjacent area to look for housing - but it might be more expensive than what you're looking for.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:36 PM

50 posts, read 213,383 times
My wife and I have lived here in York County off and on since 1978. We moved away twice courtesy of the Air Force, but managed to get my last assignment at Langley AFB (next door to York County). It really is a fine place to live. Great schools, easy access to shopping, interstate, and recreation. Like most places though, as more and more people move in, it's becoming tougher to get around, and a lot more "citified" . Nothing stays the same though. Our property taxes are still some of the lowest around here (ratewise), but the appreciation has driven everyone's bill up a lot higher in recent years. The good side is that the real estate values seldom go down, even in tough times. The large military population helps keep the demand up throughout the Peninsula. All in all, we love it. I've had two kids go all the way through the public schools here. Both got fine educations that served them well.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:46 PM

563 posts, read 2,774,647 times
I worked in York County during the 2005-06 school year when I lived in the HR area and still have acquaintances that live in the area. I LOVED it. It's definitely family-friendly, lots of great neighborhoods and great people. The housing costs are a little higher, but it's definitely worth it.

Areas to look at in York County...check neighborhoods that are off of Magruder Road. You should be able to find something there in your price range.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:13 PM

798 posts, read 2,729,377 times
I agree, the neighborhoods off Magruder are great and very convenient to a number of major places of employment in this area. Most are just a few miles (5 miles or less) to both NASA and Langley AFB if you will be working at either of those. This area is in the TABB school district which is also a real positive. It's a very safe and wonderful place to raise a family for sure. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:17 PM

15 posts, read 53,665 times
Thanks for all the info! I'm really excited about moving myself and my son there, sounds like a great place!

Old 06-15-2007, 07:46 PM

50 posts, read 213,383 times
Just a word about the schools. There's not a bad one in the bunch, but the lines the district draws as to who goes to what school can be surprising. Ask the realtor of course, but check with the county too before buying. None of the kid's bus rides are too long, but some folks are really surprised when they can literally see an elementary school from their neighborhood, and their child is riding a bus to somewhere else. York is redrawing some of the lines again for next school year. The Air Force base is renovating a bunch of housing on Magruder (Bethel Manor), and it's actually affecting some school populations. That and the local growth we've seen is driving the alterations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia