Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:15 AM

30 posts, read 122,549 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was reading another thread a while back, and it mentioned that if you were just moving to VA that it was really hard to find a job, because they see that you are not from VA- and they would give the job to someone else from the area. Is that true, in every part of Virginia? I am particuliar looking to move to Roanoke, and my line of work is Accounts payable & Receivable, and my husbands line of work is Billing and collections, in the medical field. I'm just afraid of looking to get things in order, traveling over there to check out the location, liking it, then worrying that we can not find jobs.... Please respond if this isn't the case, or hey even if it is the case. I just don't want to make that big of a move and be disappointed. I live in Connecticut now...

Thanks for any insite you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 11:27 AM

67 posts, read 282,818 times
In Virginia, I only have experiences of Lynchburg and yes, outsiders do have plenty of problems. I think Roanoke is better, but I have also heard similar stories.
I am certain posters will pop-up and say that they never had any problems at all. That is probably true in their case.
Overall I would recommend you and your husband to FIRST land at least one job, and THEN move.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:18 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,024 times
Have at least one job or 12 months worth of cash to live on. All decent jobs have 10 applicants and most will be locals who will get preference.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:36 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Yeah, land the job first.... I'm not necessarily buying the "They won't hire outsiders" rap. It's just common sense that it's easier to hire someone local all else being equal....

Old 12-20-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Yeah, land the job first.... I'm not necessarily buying the "They won't hire outsiders" rap. It's just common sense that it's easier to hire someone local all else being equal....
Can you please explain in better detail? I pretty much ruined my career moving to Va. Just because an employer knows an applicant’s father or his childhood neighbor does not make the applicant better qualified...or am I missing the point?

Old 12-20-2007, 11:35 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,024 times
It's called networking and it is how many jobs get filled here. If you know somebody's family you might have a better idea about his background and that they are likely to stay in the area. Even Wall Street jobs that pay high six figures get filled this way as often as not.
Most of my good jobs have come through friends of friends--not the want ads. The only job I have had to apply for in the last 30 years was Starbucks on Boonsboro Rd. And they hired me mostly because I was from Seattle and knew something about coffee and Starbucks.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:21 PM

Yeah, but it is a tad extreme around here.
About the same time I moved to central Virginia an old childhood friend moved to Paris. His girlfriend got a job there and he wanted to be with her. Now, France is some-what infamous for having a very un-flexible job market. My friend told everybody he would give it 4 months. In 3 months he had a very well paid job as a software developer, and he did not even speak French at the time!!! After 4 months in central Virginia I had landed a part-time job paying a whopping $7.50 an hour. Of course, each of our stories could just be extremes. I personally do not think tat is the case. I think this is how central Virginia works. After 5 years in Lynchburg it is to my understanding that people operate in an almost tribal mind sate were family connections and place of birth is ranked higher then competence or education. Were I work today I have seen people routinely put out of state applications to the side with the comment “they are not from around here”.
Now, since that is how it works complaining does little good. Virginia is for Lovers

Old 12-20-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Williams View Post
Can you please explain in better detail? I pretty much ruined my career moving to Va. Just because an employer knows an applicant’s father or his childhood neighbor does not make the applicant better qualified...or am I missing the point?
No, all I'm saying is that all else being equal it makes perfect sense to hire the local person instead of someone from out of state... I'm not making any claims of nepotism or preferrential treatment, just saying between two similarly qualified individuals, the local one will get the job because it's less hassle. That just makes sense.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
No, all I'm saying is that all else being equal it makes perfect sense to hire the local person instead of someone from out of state... I'm not making any claims of nepotism or preferrential treatment, just saying between two similarly qualified individuals, the local one will get the job because it's less hassle. That just makes sense.
I have lived in other places were this was not as obvious as here in Virginia.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Think about it..... You're a company and you have two candidates who are more or less equal in qualifications. One lives in town and one lives 1000 miles away. Common sense really dictates that you take the local. Less hassle for all involved and less chance of complications.

Seems straightforward to me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia