Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:16 PM

102 posts, read 161,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Because DC was only offered as an example of a large urban area nearby.
The OP actually asked for info about Virginia's urban areas

uhm, no...

I did not :O)

If I've ever used the word "urban", it would have been in the context of suburban..
We have no interest in living in, or near, an urban area..
'Though I did say an hour, or so, from DC..'though, not to work in DC, especially..

If you go back to my original posts, they are pretty explanatory..

Thanks, all, to those who respectfully provided feedback for us, when asked..

It's genuine, and appreciated, when people actually do reply!
Even better when the replies don't relegate me to rote answers..

It is of true value to know and understand where one wants to actually live in an area.
A family can get jobs, and find the jobs aren't really very close to any place they'd actually want to live..

Therefore, research, and information about locations is really helpful..

Knowing the region we want to live in is going to be far more important than other considerations, in terms of gathering data about a potential move..

I'd like to get back to this forum at some future time, and, perhaps, discuss VA further on these boards.

But for now, this is it..

Again, your replies have been appreciated

Last edited by hears_where_the_story; 02-26-2015 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 05:59 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Because DC was only offered as an example of a large urban area nearby. The OP actually asked for info about Virginia's urban areas.
The OP did not. Again spencer you're wrong, stop reaching.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:12 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
lol

Old 03-04-2015, 04:25 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
lol
twins.

Last edited by Deluusions; 03-04-2015 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 04:43 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Former NJ resident here. Moved to the DC area within the past decade. Currently live in the NOVA area.

For my field, the job market in the DC area is much more robust than NJ. Also, since there are that many more jobs, the professional development opportunities are greater. I'm a Fed now, and plan to stay a Fed for the foreseeable future, mostly because of job security reasons.

Inside the beltway, real estate is expensive, obviously. $500k+ gets you an outdated 900sqft SFH or maybe a modest split level in an ugly neighborhood. Traffic can be horrendous depending where you're trying to go, so don't kid yourself into thinking you can commute 50-60 miles one way into DC (and not go bonkers) like some folk think they can.

Your best is to aim for jobs just outside the beltway. The quality of homes you can get for your dollar are much better, and you can still make a premium dollar. Supposedly there's a "tech corridor" around the Dulles area. IT contractors can clear 100k easy, even w/out a diploma.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:47 AM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
twins.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:03 PM

102 posts, read 161,893 times
Arrow ok, thank you; but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Former NJ resident here. Moved to the DC area within the past decade. Currently live in the NOVA area.

For my field, the job market in the DC area is much more robust than NJ. Also, since there are that many more jobs, the professional development opportunities are greater. I'm a Fed now, and plan to stay a Fed for the foreseeable future, mostly because of job security reasons.

Inside the beltway, real estate is expensive, obviously. $500k+ gets you an outdated 900sqft SFH or maybe a modest split level in an ugly neighborhood. Traffic can be horrendous depending where you're trying to go, so don't kid yourself into thinking you can commute 50-60 miles one way into DC (and not go bonkers) like some folk think they can.

Your best is to aim for jobs just outside the beltway. The quality of homes you can get for your dollar are much better, and you can still make a premium dollar. Supposedly there's a "tech corridor" around the Dulles area. IT contractors can clear 100k easy, even w/out a diploma.

Thank you for that info. I'm glad your transition worked well for you!

However, we're not really looking for D.C to be our focus, nor the greater/near D.C region to be a place we'd like to work, shop, or live..I mentioned within an hour of D.C, because I thought the greater region, in Virginia, might have jobs, amenities, and development, beyond places that are strictly NoVa and D.C. The hour from D.C. could be an hour and ten minutes, as we're simply looking for regions which have potential work opportunities, and amenities. Otherwise, we're not getting much of a break with the cost of living; and we wouldn't want to live or work near D.C anyhow..(I'm fairly sure I've mentioned this on this thread before.. )

In any case, if anyone else has info. about affordable, lowcrime regions, or counties in VA, which are near enough to clusters of business development, shops, and so forth, we'd appreciate this..

I know I have asked these questions before here, earlier in the thread..
I have seen others, later, write similar versions of my questions here and on the N.C boards,
(Maybe they thought the questions were a good idea?)

We want to leave New Jersey, it's official..The rest is just a matter of a few more important parts of the picture which come into place, and we're out of here..

Thanks to the 'twins' for the feedback as well..

Am kind of feeling like I'm spinning my wheels asking these questions much more at city data..(At least when it comes to VA and NC)..I just don't really feel like the questions I carefully made an effort to put on here are getting the kind of feedback and input I would have first hoped for when I posted here. Thanks to those who did reply, however..

Last edited by hears_where_the_story; 03-16-2015 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 03-19-2015, 01:47 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hears_where_the_story View Post
In any case, if anyone else has info. about affordable, lowcrime regions, or counties in VA, which are near enough to clusters of business development, shops, and so forth, we'd appreciate this..
Perhaps you should check out the Charlottesville, VA area. I know of few people who live there now and who moved away, reluctantly. There is a gov't presence, which means jobs, both Fed and contractor, as well as the University of Virginia. Nearby, it has some beautiful scenery, and plenty of outdoor recreation. As far as Virginia is concerned, I think its good place to live.

You'd be a little more isolated, being about 2-2.5 hours from the DC area. I've never checked out the airport so I'm not sure how easy or cheap it is to fly anywhere.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:56 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
I think that only one person has talked about the traffic in Northern Virginia.

Let's make that two.

Traffic in Northern Virginia is ludicrously terrible. It's totally insane, and I've driven around the beltways/freeways in cities like Los Angeles and Chicago. Totally absolutely nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia