Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 10:54 AM

102 posts, read 162,165 times

Advertisements

Hello.

We are considering a move from N.J to VA and would like your feedback to a few questions.
A cursory glance at the mainstream press shares the economy is, somehow, getting better. Yet for many in the Garden State this does not seem to be so. In fact, from what I've read around here, in quite a few places, it may not be so.

Some research into locations in VA suggest it would not be greatly less expensive to relocate to than N.J.; yet we, though we have degrees, are finding it truly challenging to think of staying in this state.

New Jersey, despite all the jokes in the media, is really a great state with a lot of wonderful qualities. Sadly, it has also become one of the most prohibitively expensive states to live in, and I can conservatively say, that for the state, that is pretty much across the board.

We've heard that some places in the South, such as VA and NC, for example, may be more affordable than N.J., as well as having just well, better regional and local economies; and that those facts combined would possibly make them better, more cost effect places to move, than our staying in N.J.

I have tried to ask this question with different responses and replies at these forums. I asked it more indirectly, so I am plainly asking it here.

Has anyone here moved from N.J. to VA and if so, how did you find the job market, as well as the economy, in contrast to, say, Northern New Jersey?

Do you feel your move was worth your while? Or do you feel the opportunities for jobs and the cost of living was basically the same?

I recognize, as well, that there are a lot of discussions on the VA boards about NoVa vs. 'the rest of the state', and all that, which I cannot really connect to, except that the perception varies between some saying NoVa is the main or only place for lucrative job opportunities and much of the Western portion of VA is awash with patches of poverty..To actual online squabbles where residents would go back and forth about the differences between the two parts of the state.

I don't want to digress into that.

We'd just like to get a better idea of what are the more developed regions or portions of the state, what have you..and whether or not these areas would truly be fiscally a better choice than our current state.

We understand different states are not going to be the same, and I have been all through on here, folks going on about North and South. We are past this, as we just want to hear from those who know VA and NJ, or have moved from one to the other and can speak to whether or not it's worth it, from their view to make the jump.

We already know the weather's better. But that would not be enough to cause us to move if other things we're inquiring about were not in place. Are there better job opportunities in VA in general? Can a family relocate to a low crime area there which has good access to amenities and development as N.J does (or close), without having to live in another place which is also prohibitively expensive as, say the Fairfax area?

Our income bracket would not be that much, under the 70k range; though we are getting training above and beyond our degrees, (2nd career), we'd still be looking for a place with amenities and focusing on the affordability aspect. Ideally, we'd like to be within an hour of a major metropolis, (like D.C. for example), though not necessarily closer. We understand the whole Jersey experience cannot be reproduced, we are not looking for that; on the other hand, it would be a huge step down in our quality of life if we could not find viable work opportunities in VA, as we would not want to be relegated to the more run-down, very rural parts of towns.

While we aren't per se a family who visits Whole Foods very often, it would be nice to know one could be found there 15-20 minutes away. Are these wishes achievable in VA for a modest income family who does not want to leave a very expensive state, just to find ourselves challenged by living in a much less developed region, with comparably similar low job options, and an economy which is just as slow?

I'd love to hear from former N.J residents, (others feel free to chime in as well!), who have had real positive change and success in moving to VA. I'd genuinely love to hear what you have to say; it would be wonderful to know your experience, and any advice you can provide along the way.

We have no illusions, nor an expectation, of living in a place like a Fairfax, for example. While we retain hope for an increase in our income and job options, we don't presume, and are just wondering about cost of living, and so forth, what moves have wrought for others, and the job market.

Thank you again for taking time to read this. I hope some out there can share some pilgrim's notes on their move and outcomes for them. There are no right or wrong answers to these questions. We're simply looking for genuine life experiences and opinions on a move and move options.

Last edited by hears_where_the_story; 02-17-2015 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: edit
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:12 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,355,746 times
Hello! I used to live in northern New Jersey right after college in Hunterdon county. The only major difference for me was the weather although it still can get pretty cold down here as well. It snowed a lot last night, where I live got 7 inches of snow although this was not comparable to the 10.5 inches I got in Hunterdon!

It will be very helpful if you could provide your budget? Also, what field you work in as well
Also Virginia in general has very good schools and since you want to live near DC or in a major metro area there will be many amentities accessible.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:09 PM

19,272 posts, read 17,143,423 times
I am from NY but have been in VA 35+ years. I won’t tease you about which exit you live at, you’re looking for a cost comparison where in North Jersey are you and where in Virginia are you considering? If I am comparing East Orange to Norfolk or Paramus to Short Pump the figures will be quite different. There are online calculators that can give you a rough comparison between localities (Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney ) and will allow you to evaluate if another locality is better for you.

You ask about the job market I can say Virginias unemployment rate is currently %4.8 New Jersey is %6.2, again what type of employment are you seeking?

With regards to the differences between regions in Virginia there are differences just as you would find in most states including NJ. You can’t tell me the make-up of Northern Jersey is the same as Camden area or South Jersey….

Based on your anticipated income the Richmond area might serve you well, we have all the amenities, stores and a healthy dose of transplants from up north, the region is smaller than Northern VA but much more reasonable to live. If you truly want to be near the DC area than look a little further north in Fredericksburg.

Focus on the availability of jobs in your field first and worry about regional differences last, good luck..

Old 02-17-2015, 01:28 PM

Thumbs up Hello and Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Hello! I used to live in northern New Jersey right after college in Hunterdon county. The only major difference for me was the weather although it still can get pretty cold down here as well. It snowed a lot last night, where I live got 7 inches of snow although this was not comparable to the 10.5 inches I got in Hunterdon!

It will be very helpful if you could provide your budget? Also, what field you work in as well
Also Virginia in general has very good schools and since you want to live near DC or in a major metro area there will be many amentities accessible.

Yes, I saw about the snow in VA here today :O) Someone called it "snowmaggeddon..I suppose it may feel like that for some there, but those aren't really particular issues for us, in terms of weather concerns, really..

I've provided our budget above. Schools aren't really a big issue, unless their location ups the home tax bracket, then, yes, a little bit. Naturally, schools in safer areas highly preferred.

I'd rather not get into too many personal specifics about our field or location, except to say we are degreed professionals, and, while our first degrees were in the Arts and Humanities, we're going to be taking further study beyond this; possibly something in the broad range of IT fields. Our income range has already been specified. Hope this helps and thank you!

P.S. How do you find it down there? How would you compare regions an hour or so from D.C. to the Northern N.J areas?

I do recall that D.C.'s absolutely lovely in the Springtime (cherry blossoms! :O) ), 'though I don't expect we'd be looking to work there in particular. (I can say that is almost certain..)

Are there any towns or counties that come to mind for you that you would find comparable to N.J. which are low crime areas, good for families, and within a reasonable (an hour or less) to greater regional development?

As I shared, we'd like to be within a 15-20 minute drive to places like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, decent malls, reputable med. care, that sort of thing. 'Though we aren't averse to slightly more rural areas, (and our dollar may need that), we'd like ones-towns-that are at least a bit bigger than an average small town. Say 14/15 thousand in population status, or more than this!

Are these things possible at a savings cost compared to NJ with regions in driving distance for jobs around?

I've heard shared on these boards, by at least one person, that much of VA is deeply pocketed with 'swatches' of poverty; and, not to be insulting towards your state, as I by no means mean this, but I am not talking simply about some poverty in urban areas like Camden, for example, but true regional poverty in the more broad rural areas outside NoVa. Is this really so? Are there counties you'd advise to stay clear of, ones you might recommend which might be closer to what we're looking for as location options?

I may have more questions, but thank you again!

Last edited by hears_where_the_story; 02-17-2015 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-17-2015, 01:43 PM

Thumbs up Hi and Thank you.

Quote:
I am from NY but have been in VA 35+ years. I won’t tease you about which exit
you live at, you’re looking for a cost comparison where in North Jersey are you
and where in Virginia are you considering? If I am comparing East Orange to
Norfolk or Paramus to Short Pump the figures will be quite different. There are
online calculators that can give you a rough comparison between localities (Cost
of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney
)
and will allow you to evaluate if another locality is better for you.
Well, we are not in East Orange, (nothing against there :O), and we aren't in Paramus either!
(That should narrow it down.. ) Suffice to say, we are in a suburb which is not urban, but not one of the more affluent areas of N.J either.

Quote:
You ask about the job market I can say Virginias unemployment rate is currently
%4.8 New Jersey is %6.2, again what type of employment are you seeking?
The broad range of the IT field. Not to question you, but I have a feeling those Jersey stats are off a smidge. We've seen it as high as 9.something, in some of our research, but, in any case..

Quote:
With regards to the differences between regions in Virginia there are
differences just as you would find in most states including NJ. You can’t tell
me the make-up of Northern Jersey is the same as Camden area or South Jersey….
Right, but we aren't looking for an area like Camden, or any urban area, really. More than this, we're looking for a place with low crime, that is not challenged by poverty, nor profoundly inaccessible to those with income in the modest ranges of the middle class.

Quote:

Based on your anticipated income the Richmond area might serve you well, we
have all the amenities, stores and a healthy dose of transplants from up north,
the region is smaller than Northern VA but much more reasonable to live. If you
truly want to be near the DC area than look a little further north in
Fredericksburg.

Focus on the availability of jobs in your field first and worry about
regional differences last, good luck..

Thanks so much! We'll give this some thought! Appreciate your feedback. May have more questions as to the differences in states and your experience. But thank you!

Old 02-17-2015, 03:15 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,332,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hears_where_the_story View Post
Well, we are not in East Orange, (nothing against there :O), and we aren't in Paramus either!
(That should narrow it down.. ) Suffice to say, we are in a suburb which is not urban, but not one of the more affluent areas of N.J either.

The broad range of the IT field. Not to question you, but I have a feeling those Jersey stats are off a smidge. We've seen it as high as 9.something, in some of our research, but, in any case..

Right, but we aren't looking for an area like Camden, or any urban area, really. More than this, we're looking for a place with low crime, that is not challenged by poverty, nor profoundly inaccessible to those with income in the modest ranges of the middle class.

Thanks so much! We'll give this some thought! Appreciate your feedback. May have more questions as to the differences in states and your experience. But thank you!
The NJ and VA numbers VA Yankee provided are the "official" numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It could be as high as 9% in some places, like Paterson. But looking at the economy of the state overall, while interesting, does not indicate the situation in your industry specifically. You'll get a lot more useful information talking to colleagues, recruiters, etc. than by comparing general stats like unemployment rates.

VA Yankee is also right in his recommendation about figuring out the job options and then worry about the locations of those options. There are lots of great places to live and lots of cheap places to live, but the chances of landing a job, and of getting the compensation you need to make it worth your while are what you need to focus on now IMO.

I did the opposite move a decade ago, from VA to NJ. For me it made sense. It doesn't for everyone.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:26 PM

Arrow uhm, re. stats..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
The NJ and VA numbers VA Yankee provided are the "official" numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It could be as high as 9% in some places, like Paterson. But looking at the economy of the state overall, while interesting, does not indicate the situation in your industry specifically. You'll get a lot more useful information talking to colleagues, recruiters, etc. than by comparing general stats like unemployment rates.

VA Yankee is also right in his recommendation about figuring out the job options and then worry about the locations of those options. There are lots of great places to live and lots of cheap places to live, but the chances of landing a job, and of getting the compensation you need to make it worth your while are what you need to focus on now IMO.

I did the opposite move a decade ago, from VA to NJ. For me it made sense. It doesn't for everyone.

Quote:
The NJ and VA numbers VA Yankee provided are the "official" numbers from the
Bureau of Labor Statistics. It could be as high as 9% in some places, like
Paterson.
Uhm, disputing about this, numbers and so forth, really does not add to the discussion here. We could argue all day about how our experience in New Jersey in recent years, economically, does not really measure with your latest stats from the 'official'-what-you-note-from NJ, but that doesn't really speak to the reality of our experience in recent years, nor does it make it less real..

Someone could do that here, I suppose, debate and argue all day about minutia, but that's not really our interest, nor the purpose of my questions; it would not really help to answer my questions which are very much not about data, or stats, or even people's links to stats,

but actual human experiences..

Old 02-17-2015, 04:48 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,332,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hears_where_the_story View Post
Uhm, disputing about this, numbers and so forth, really does not add to the discussion here. We could argue all day about how our experience in New Jersey in recent years, economically, does not really measure with your latest stats from the 'official'-what-you-note-from NJ, but that doesn't really speak to the reality of our experience in recent years, nor does it make it less real..

Someone could do that here, I suppose, debate and argue all day about minutia, but that's not really our interest, nor the purpose of my questions; it would not really help to answer my questions which are very much not about data, or stats, or even people's links to stats,

but actual human experiences..
Right. As my post explained, those numbers aren't all that important. There was advice in that post if you bothered to read it. Good luck.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:21 PM

Arrow Thank you, and I appreciate that..

Quote:

Quote:
Right. As my post explained, those numbers aren't all that important. There was advice in that post if you bothered to read it. Good luck.

Thank you, I did read it, and it was helpful..
Sorry if my reply seemed a bit annoyed..
I just tire of seeing data and statistics which don't necessarily apply to all of the people..

If my reply was off-putting to you, again, my apology..
Broad stats about states and unemployment, while helpful, don't really help my cause if I am debating about them here, that's all I'm saying..

Glad your move to NJ was good for you..

I truly welcome any and all feedback about people's experiences with these things..

Old 02-18-2015, 07:59 AM

19,272 posts, read 17,143,423 times
OP the information you provide are generalities so the answers "Broad stats about states and unemployment rate" will be just that. If you ask for a specific locality/region then an answer can be more specific.

If I understand you correctly you want:

Mid-Career IT position (70k range)
Suburban setting
Trader Joes and other uber/crunchy type establishments
Decent schools
Good Medical
low crime

You want the typical American dream suburb, who doesn't. Northern Virginia has many nice communities but the COL in the DC Metro and your anticipated income will not allow you a decent quality of life. Look at the Richmond Metro especially the West End of Henrico and the Midlothian area of Chesterfield. Many communities in Hampton Roads may also suite your needs.

We even have pizza & bagels....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia