Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,954 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My family and I will be relocating to the DC Metroplex within the year. I have my heart set on Fredericksburg, but am truly unfamiliar with the area as a whole. We have 3 children, one (soon to be 2) are elementary school aged. Therefore, are biggest concern in buying our house, is we want to be zoned for good schools, and also a friendly community!! We are originally from the Northeast (Western New York), but have spent the last 10 years living throughout the country (Seattle, Nashville, and currently Dallas, TX). We think that we will be in the DC area for quite a long time so we really want to be happy with the choice we make in picking the right area. Any feedback on the area, schools, communities, etc would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 05:38 PM

15,182 posts, read 27,967,104 times
Curious how your have your heart set on F'Burg - is there a particular reason? Have you been? Lot's of traffic!

Old 02-25-2015, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,954 times
My husband travels to DC often currently for his job- and has spent a lot of time in Fredericksburg. Personally, I love the historic downtown and supporting local shops and would love to be near that!!! But, yes- have heard traffic is a nightmare! However, I doubt that can be escaped in any area surrounding DC?

Old 02-26-2015, 11:13 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,549,548 times
You can't really escape the traffic unless you live way, way out in the boonies. Nice thing about living around there is that you're only 35 minutes from Lake Anna which is really nice in the summer.

I don't think that area really has any terrible schools.

You may want to ask this in the Northern Virginia section: https://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/. You would probably get more responses.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:47 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,307,447 times
Log on to wtop.com most any weekday and see what traffic is like on I 95 which is the main route between Fredericksburg and DC. Of course taking VRE in may make a difference. Check WTOP in the hours you'll be commuting.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:11 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,045,690 times
This entire area, because of the interstate (3 exits!) has more than it's share of traffic...that's for sure! What should be a 40 min commute to DC will take around 1 1/2 hours, on a good day!

All of the schools around here are pretty good...

As far as "friendly"...well, this has become a "bedroom community", and folks don't know each other like they used to. You'll meet folks via the schools, I'd imagine.

I would look into the Stafford area....and avoid anything on Rt. 3 W....because of the shopping mall and a big retail area (Central Park), you will spend hours getting anywhere....too congested out there!

We are in S. Stafford and can get almost anywhere without going thru the shopping corridor...saves my sanity!!!

All in all, this is a nice area....it's just that planning and infrastructure has not kept pace with the growth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: