Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:28 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,158,074 times

Advertisements

You could check Hanover, Amelia, Nottoway, Dinwiddie and Prince George Counties. I think all of them could give you the rural environment you crave. You would be about ab hour from McGuires VA Hospital. If you choose Prince George, Dinwiddie or Nottoway (maybe Hanover) you would also be close to Fort Lee and could utilize Kenner AHC. and come to think of it, parts of Eastern Henrico are still rural and might work for you.

All of these would put you about 2-3 hours from DC. You also might find that you like the museums in Richmond. The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts recently underwent a huge redesign, as did The Valentine.

Hope this helps, and thank you for your service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 06:41 AM

795 posts, read 1,014,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Thanks. Considering todays environment I resent the gestapo comment but the OP doesn't seem to care. I have so many friends still working in LE that are looking for jobs away from PD's. They are tired of what they face so often on the street with people who think they are being original with their insults or comments. One friend is at 25 years and had plans to go 30 but he's done and has applications in non LE jobs and will leave at the first chance.
You are welcome. Looks like more than the OP think that's okay. I guess its becoming more and more a popular view in todays society.
They dislike LEOs until they have a emergency and have to dial 911.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:50 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,279,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
You are welcome. Looks like more than the OP think that's okay. I guess its becoming more and more a popular view in todays society.
They dislike LEOs until they have a emergency and have to dial 911.
Agreed. I have a military family and appreciate those who serve but it never excuses poor behavior.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:44 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,694,660 times
The culture that leads to disrespect can only be changed from within LE.

News flash, everyone is counting the days until they can quit their jobs. Gone are the days when police officers run roughshod over the population they are charged with protecting. No other professionals enjoy job security and zero accountability. "It's no fun now that I'm accountable for my actions. I think I'll quit". Your friends have great attitudes.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:26 PM

774 posts, read 1,861,343 times
Default Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the new information ... and yes, it's added information that this so-called, "Law Enforcement" person is trying to highjack my thread. (So much for courtesy and maturely obeying the rules.) But it's helpful because I've heard about how racist some cops can be in the "Commonwealth."

I know the vets we couldn't get out of the doorways after 'Nam were those who had committed atrocities so I've learned the meaning of, "... me thinks he doth protest too much..."

With all the black men (and Native Americans) being shot down in the streets like dogs by criminal cops these days... I just don't buy the self-righteous indignation. As theologian and foreign correspondent Chris Hedges writes, "America is no longer a democracy, but an inverted totalitarian state where the citizens are trained to keep each other in check."

Two of the reasons I want to move out of my overly conservative area here in the deep South are:
Quote:
1.) The difference between Liberals and Conservatives are--
(a) Liberals usually see everything filtered through the lenses of fairness and racism.

(b) Conservatives usually see everything filtered through the lenses of wanting to be part of the group and acquiescing to power.
... and ...
Quote:
2.) Over time, I've discovered that not only has the last 30 years of movement to the so-called "religious Right" made our minds more rigid ... but it's done the same to the world.
True religion and spirituality is supposed to be about evolving the heart.
Growing up. Growing in love. What's the answer to that childhood question?
Q. What is God?
A. God is Love.

When people strive to make another person angry ... it's not only a sign of projecting their anger and rage onto another (like the baiting that's going on here) ... but it can also signal one or more Personality Disorders. (Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Borderline, Antisocial ... etc ...)

Again, my question is not posted to feed anyone's childish ego or need for attention. I suggest they post their own ... issues ... rather than attempt to distract from my request for information.

When I last checked, as a full grown man over 60, retired after three careers, honorably discharged and a tax paying citizen, I am in my right to think for myself, hold my OWN opinions, and say what I want as long as it's no threat to another. When I can't ... it's clear that the "Inverted Totalitarian State" has become real.

So... I want to avoid narrow minded people.
I don't want to live near their negative vibes nor their "Supremest" cravings.
That's why I want to live near (or in) a metropolitan, urban environment. All kinds of attitudes and beliefs are in large Metropolitan areas... so one can encounter a racist jerk and move onto people who are in touch with their hearts ... human beings of all skin colors who actually read books and strive to make the world more loving ... not more self-centered (babyish), and hateful.

Hopefully it's the last I will need to say on it.
If I had been so rude to a poster, a moderator would have stepped in by now.

This is about me looking for information about a possible move.
NOT... ((LOL))... anyone's unmet needs for attention about THEIR life.
Thank you.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:19 AM

Default Hmmmm..

It struck me after I logged off that you ("Bigfoot") may be crying out for help.

I've seen this behavior before in retired vets ... especially Sergent Major types. (omg)
After taking off the uniform, there's a loss of identity and no one is jumping out of the way when they walk by. And being a retired cop puts you in even a more alarming target group ... suicide.

At least 22 vets a day are killing themselves.
Active and retired cops have one of the highest rates of suicide compared to all career fields.

I was a cop in the military and every year we get together for a reunion. Some of us (those still alive) became city policemen and the rest of us went on to further our education. I hear their stories... the insides of their lives...

Identity crisis is huge. Now that the uniform is off, you're just another John Q. Public... another "Joe." Expecting strangers to provide you with self esteem is not rational thinking and it's those type of guys who often get into trouble. (Like the retired police captain who shot a guy in a movie theater for talking on a cell phone...)

I also worked in Social Services for 17 years ... often linking with cops, probation officers, parole officers and correctional officers. Stress ... trauma ... a hardening of emotions ... even sometimes moral trauma over things they've done.

I'm sure you'll agree that if you saw a person who kept engaging after people tried to disengage, that you'd see it as a huge red flag. Perhaps it's just a simple think like needing to find a new outlet in life ... like going back to school for to pursue a new interest ... or travel ... or ... perhaps therapy is what's needed. No one owes you. You got paid and probably paid well. Now it's time to move on with the gift of your life.

If you don't have a support group, I'm sure there's agencies who can help.
Medication can help too. Agitated depression is still Depression... and Depression kills.

Food for thought. I may be wrong ... but... it's clear that the responses are age appropriate so there most likely is more going on and you definitely have the history. Hope you'll just consider getting some help. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:15 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,279,716 times
The weirdness has come in so I believe I'm done here.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:20 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,158,074 times
Vegan, my husband is also a retired MP. Got out in 2003 after 22 years!

Old 04-21-2015, 05:04 AM

2,285 posts, read 4,083,635 times
Re your original question, except for the distance from DC, you might possibly consider the Roanoke area, especially for cost of living issues, natural beauty, and the well regarded VA hospital.

The Amtrak will get you to DC before 12 noon but I know you really had in mind something much closer.

You would have excellent choices in rental housing at that price level.

There is an easy to access progressive community in Roanoke, much less so than DC of course, but perhaps more so than the far exurbs. . Also .... All signs suggest to me a well above average healthy relationship between law enforcement and community in Roanoke.

Good luck!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:54 PM

Default Thanks Watchful

Thanks Watchful,

Never considered Roanoke. I'll research it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia