Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:54 AM

774 posts, read 1,862,090 times

Advertisements

I STARTED to move to Virginia before simply getting tired and buying a place here in North Carolina.
It's lovely out here in the country, but I've discovered that I want to be closer to civilization.
  • I'm 61 but still in pretty good shape.
  • As I age, I'd like to be closer to a better Veterans Hospital than they have here in N.C.
  • But mainly, I want to be able to drive into DC, spend a day at the museums, walking to coffee shops and bookstores... and maybe picking out a real quality suit when I want to.
  • But I also crave ... peace and quiet when I need it.

Is there a spot where a creative-type African American single man who doesn't need to work can live in relative harmony without crime ... nor gestapo police???

Glancing at the map... what's your take on a finding a home to rent somewhere between Woodbridge and Fredericksburg?

After I sell my home here, I'm not sure if I want to buy again. I'm enjoying the delicious peacefulness of living out in the country... but it's just too far from other intelligent life forms.

So... if I spent ... somewhere between $1,000 and $2,000 on rent (or mortgage), is there a location that comes to mind that anyone thinks I should look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 12:32 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,289,939 times
What are gestapo police? I was a LEO for over 30 years and when I used to hear that term it was usually from morons and idiots.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:38 PM

Default wow ...

wow. So I'm either a moron or an idiot??
Name calling off the bat.
You're just the type of narrow-minded person I do NOT want for a neighbor.

I asked a civil question about ME ... not YOU. If you don't have anything constructive to say, I'll ask you not to contaminate the thread. Yes, I'm aware that some people just need an "enemy" and others are so Narcissistic that EVERYTHING is about them... but since we've never met, please let me assure you that this question is about me-- not you.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:02 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,552,794 times
Retired vets would be right at home in the Hampton Roads area. There's urban areas if you need 'em, but you're never more than 20 minutes from the countryside. Racial tensions aren't nearly as bad as most places, but being white, I'm not sure whether or not you'll be profiled more. The police here are pretty nice, near as I can tell, just so long as they determine you aren't a threat. (I used to go door-to-door and had the cops called on me a lot)

If you live on the peninsula, you'll probably be three hours or so from DC.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
wow. So I'm either a moron or an idiot??
Name calling off the bat.
You're just the type of narrow-minded person I do NOT want for a neighbor.

I asked a civil question about ME ... not YOU. If you don't have anything constructive to say, I'll ask you not to contaminate the thread. Yes, I'm aware that some people just need an "enemy" and others are so Narcissistic that EVERYTHING is about them... but since we've never met, please let me assure you that this question is about me-- not you.

Feelings are mutual.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:51 AM

998 posts, read 1,255,796 times
wow, right out of the box we have animosity for no reason, excellent example of the breakdown in rational communication between people in this country......

Old 04-19-2015, 04:57 AM

795 posts, read 1,015,477 times
I don't always agree with bigfoot, but was using gestapo really necessary? I appreciate our LEOs and foots 30y of service.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:05 AM

Default Thank you Pyroninja42

Thank you Pyroninja42 and Poquoson7.

I'll search out the Hampton Roads area. It's so deliciously close that I assumed it was heavily populated, but I'll drive through there the next time I'm in the area.

The main thing is that I'd like to be about an hour... maybe 45 minutes away from DC. (Get in when I want to-get out when the "city" overwhelms me.)

Thank both of you for your kindness.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:34 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,552,794 times
The thing about DC is that the traffic is so absolutely horrifying (when my family plans roadtrips, we do whatever we can to avoid Northern Virginia) is that you'll never be 45 minutes-to-an-hour away from DC, even if you should be.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
I don't always agree with bigfoot, but was using gestapo really necessary? I appreciate our LEOs and foots 30y of service.
Thanks. Considering todays environment I resent the gestapo comment but the OP doesn't seem to care. I have so many friends still working in LE that are looking for jobs away from PD's. They are tired of what they face so often on the street with people who think they are being original with their insults or comments. One friend is at 25 years and had plans to go 30 but he's done and has applications in non LE jobs and will leave at the first chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia