Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should our Governor refuse to take Syrian refugees?
Yes 22 56.41%
No 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:26 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,092,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I think these poor people (hopefully, there is some type of screening), can find a safe harbor, otherwise, they are being condemned to things I don't want to think about. All of OUR ancestors came from other countries for a better life!
Hopefully there is screening? Do you feel the same way for personal safety? Hopefully I don't interact with criminals today... Trusting ( hoping that it works) a wide variety of federal resources are going to be responsible for ensuring everyone's safety from any mistakes. Like releasing criminals on parole because they are now safe to be released. Good thing there never is a mistake with early criminal release for our prison population that never commits crime again while on parole. Trust and verify.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:29 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,092,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
I'm okay with Virginia taking refugees just so long as they're properly screened.
And the FBI says the refugees cannot be properly verified. It's not just screening refugees for weapons they are carrying but verifying they haven't committed terroristic activities and they are honest in their history as fleeing Syria with a valid passport.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:49 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
I was at State for 2.5 years and dealt with this Leahy vetting system for every foreign group I brought in to train. I'm not overly confident in this process but I was lucky in the fact I dealt with groups that were known to be trustworthy. I know of other cases though where we did see some issues. Scroll down to VETTING if at all interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leahy_Law

Old 11-19-2015, 03:27 PM

915 posts, read 1,626,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I think these poor people (hopefully, there is some type of screening), can find a safe harbor, otherwise, they are being condemned to things I don't want to think about. All of OUR ancestors came from other countries for a better life!
It was already pointed out repeatedly that adequate screening is impossible as we are limited in any capacity where inadequate information is available . So screening is a crap shoot.

All of our ancestors came from other countries for a better life. Actually, not all came for a better life/some came to destroy the system just like today. There were times at the turn of the century when there were serious limits because of anarchists, radicals and the like entering the country and creating havoc. Presidential assassination issues come to mine. Restrictions were put in place for the same reason people are concerned today. All people coming here have not always had the best of intentions.

BUt even if people wish to come here for a better life, a consideration some seem to miss is screaming to be heard. We cannot take everyone into this country to assure a better life without seriously impacting those who live here now.

There is not the capacity to assume responsibility for all the illegals already here, the challenged legal immigrants who are receiving benefits but not contributing, and all the refugees pounding at the door. On an airplane, you are directed to put on your own oxygen before helping someone else -
- in other words, if you do not care for yourself, you are of no use to anyone else.

It is not compassion to be stupid. Our systems are strained as it is with too many takers and not enough contributors. We have a great way of life as long as we remember why we have a great way of life. It is not as a result of not protecting ourselves, of not meeting the needs of our own peoples here , of not recognizing that we have a unique philosophy that has contributed to our success.

We have been bombarded with accusations of being a racist nation, a failed experiment that was a failure from its founding with our racist founders and then told that everyone wants to come here cuz it's just so darn wonderful. Funny, it can't be so awful for the current people protesting and yet so owed to the tired, the poor and the hungry who are owed a chance to live in the land of the brave and free.

Most all countries, and even in our former screening for immigration, require someone prove if seeking political asylum that they are persecuted and why and yet the President hollers about religious tests (well, that's already part of the vetting test for asylum and has been on the books for years to prove actual risk to the one seeking asylum) . Most countries also require proof that a person immigrating is financially capable of providing for themselves...............the requirements are outrageously high for a reason evident in this country already - people financially incapable or unwilling to provide for themselves will demand and receive benefits and the general population will pay for all of this. There is a limit to the pot of gold.

It is frightening to hear people not using any reasoning on this issue. We don't need to speculate on things that could happen. They are happening - they have happened. After 9/11 we said, Never Forget...........we obviously did.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:06 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Our ancestors did not come to kill our way of life. There is no way to sufficiently screen these people. Obama mocks Americans about being afraid of women and children yet just a few hours later, a woman in a suicide vest blew herself up in a Paris apartment.

Do you realize there are entire neighborhoods in London and Paris where law enforcement do not respond? They are ruled by Sharia law. Is that what we want here?

It's a lovely sentiment on the Statue of Liberty but it is a POEM not a founding document of this nation. We cannot take in the lowest educated, skilled people of every troubled country. They should be relocated to a stable Muslim country where the culture, religion and language are familiar.

Why isn't Saudi taking any? It's a big, rich country.
Actually YOUR ancestors killed, raped, and stole from Native Americans. These refugees aren't coming here to do that, you of all people should be the last to talk about safety. Refugees are the most affected by Isis not US citizens. I remember when Americans didn't want to let Jews in like myself, but we're on the of the most successful people in this country and we don't do any harm at all. Just goes to show ignorance and people not having a heart at all while these poor people are suffering. Children and mothers are being beheaded.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:34 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Actually YOUR ancestors killed, raped, and stole from Native Americans. These refugees aren't coming here to do that, you of all people should be the last to talk about safety. Refugees are the most affected by Isis not US citizens. I remember when Americans didn't want to let Jews in like myself, but we're on the of the most successful people in this country and we don't do any harm at all. Just goes to show ignorance and people not having a heart at all while these poor people are suffering. Children and mothers are being beheaded.
Just curious how you know who MY ancestors were, when they immigrated and what kind of people they were. You do know that many early settlers were indentured servants, right?

But really, broad sweeping generalities much? ALL religious, ethnic, racial, whatever groups have good people and bad people. Let's not not pretend any group is as pure as the driven snow.

You DO realize that these extremists include women and children. Look on-line you'll find children as young as eight or ten toting guns, holding beheaded skulls, and talking about killing infidels. Women have participated actively in bombings and especially in recruitment.

Lastly, there is pain and suffering world-wide. Do you propose letting them all relocate to the United States? And, news flash, there is a lot of pain and suffering right here, right now. I'm more concerned with our citizen.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 11-20-2015 at 11:50 AM..

Old 11-20-2015, 08:45 PM

894 posts, read 2,316,239 times
Honestly there is no surefire way to keep terrorists out. I'm fine with giving people who legitimately need assistance the help they need. To be honest, the IS group has had just as much success in radicalizing disaffected suburban youth all over the US as was the case outside of Richmond. These people are trying to escape a heartbreaking situation and they should not be further punished because of what happened in Paris. Also,some of the attackers were from Europe originally I think from one report I read, so it was naturally easier for them to plot an attack.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:58 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
You have a New York governor. Maryland has a native Republican as a governor, what a strange turn of events.
I'd gladly trade. Unfortunately, so many Marylanders (NJ, PA, NY etc) have moved into, particularly NoVa, and turned it blue.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,587 times
Even with NoVa's help, he just about made it in, but we are sure going to try our best to change that around next time.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:08 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,686,133 times
Damn, I voted incorrectly. Yes, we should accept Syrians. duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia