Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:12 AM

95 posts, read 466,962 times

Advertisements

Here is a map location of where I am (annapolis md) to where I want to be near (buckhannon wv). Problem is that the job situation is not very good near buckhannon considering I have just retail, hospitality, and some office experience. I'm also finishing a business management certificate.

Interactive map of the direction I am going.

Driving Directions from Buckhannon, WV to Annapolis, MD

Basically I am a single 20 year old female trying to find a small apartment in a nice community that will have jobs that pay enough for me to get by. You know, can't make $9/hr if the standard rent is $700/month for an efficiency or something. Are there any towns to live in and cities to work in that I should check out.. in virginia.. that are at least somewhat in between where I am now(annapolis) and where I am trying to be close to (buckhannon)?

I want to get closer to my long distance boyfriend so we can decide if we will really make it, but I don't want to live terribly over there just because I am anxious to be close.

Any educated or well intentioned thoughts (lol) would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 AM

It appears based on the map that harrisonburg is good geographically, but I don't know if its the best economical choice for my demographics or not...

Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM

168 posts, read 842,461 times
Hburg has a JMU there. So there are alot of people your age. Not that you are looking for friends,...but there might be apts...etc...geared towards younger people without alot of money.
There is major sprawl all around Hburg,...so again,..retail work, light office..etc....might be available.

Your question is ultimately rather vague. Everyone faces the issue of salary vs quality of life. Could you make $10/hour x 40hr a week x 4 weeks month = $1600/gross - 400taxes = 1200net/month? Probably. And then find an apt for 500 a month (will it be nice? Maybe?..gotta look!). Have $700/month left over?
No idea what other bills you have...etc..etc.

On the upside Hburg is growing! Alot of restaurants (tips!) and alot of rural areas around it where rent would be quite cheap.

Come up with some more specific questions about the area...........

Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 PM

Okay. Really this is what is important to me:

an apartment that is safe and very cost effective. Heat/ac matters. I don't care how it looks though or how big it is. Basically looking for the cheapest thing I can find. I don't really know what other questions to ask.. I just need to be near lots of businesses so I can be hired as a receptionist, admin assistant, hotel clerk, data entry clerk .. something like that. I have about 200 in car bills (payment and insurance).. plus gas is 130 a month, plus health insurance= 40 a month, cell phone $110... I want to save about $100-$150 for whatever... if possible.

I guess I've never moved out before so I'm not sure what to do. I was looking in WV for a while but it seems like the job situation sucks enough that I don't want to do it entirely blind. Thanks for your help though..

Old 02-04-2008, 01:08 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,628,671 times
Smile Roanoke ??

Hello! As a 21 year old I know exactly how you feel right now.. I moved out of my parents houses and transferred with my work to Roanoke Va. The main reason I moved here was because I wanted to be out on my own and learn some self dependantcy. Where I was from (Richmond Va.) was just too over priced for what I was making. I have to say Roanoke is a great place to start out. I making about the same as Richmond (a little higher) and I am able to live a comfortable life here in the Mountains! I live in an older but very nice 1 bedroom apartment in a wealthy neighborhood directly across from my job for $510.. that includes all utilities but electric. I think you should check it out here.. You would be about 4 hours from Md. and 2 hours from Wv. (maybe a little closer). The views here are great and the people are friendly. The quaility of life is really great. There are plenty of retail jobs here (we have 2 malls, plenty of chain resturants and grocery stores). Good luck to you! and let me know if you have any other questions about Roanoke va. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahreed87 View Post
Okay. Really this is what is important to me:

an apartment that is safe and very cost effective. Heat/ac matters. I don't care how it looks though or how big it is. Basically looking for the cheapest thing I can find. I don't really know what other questions to ask.. I just need to be near lots of businesses so I can be hired as a receptionist, admin assistant, hotel clerk, data entry clerk .. something like that. I have about 200 in car bills (payment and insurance).. plus gas is 130 a month, plus health insurance= 40 a month, cell phone $110... I want to save about $100-$150 for whatever... if possible.

I guess I've never moved out before so I'm not sure what to do. I was looking in WV for a while but it seems like the job situation sucks enough that I don't want to do it entirely blind. Thanks for your help though..

Old 02-04-2008, 01:12 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,669,471 times
In what order are you looking?
Find a job first in "place x" and then find/move to an apt there?
Or are you first seeking a town in your rental range and then look for a job there?

Judging by your map H-burg might be an option. It is a college town, and there will be lots of competition for work. This usually means a generally lower rate of pay as well.
Maybe look into Staunton as well. The cost of housing in Staunton is approx 25% lower than H-burg.

A good rule of thumb (although it can be stretched if you are careful) is to not pay more in monthly rent than you make in one week.

Last edited by j1n; 02-04-2008 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-04-2008, 01:18 PM

Smile Some rentals have utilities included

While this is a good advice.. you have to remember a lot of rents have utilities included in them.. Meaning you wont be spending additional money for utilities.. So you can afford the higher $$ on rent.. so that is something you have to think about when looking at rentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
A good rule of thumb (although it can be stretched if you are careful) is to not pay more in monthly rent than you make in one week.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:25 PM

Thanks everyone!

Yes... in fact I am extremely flexible about geographic location; that is, I would love to be within about 120 miles of Buckhannon (the point on the west side of the map that I provided a link to. I'd just like to find a little, non ritzy place where I won't get too cold or hot inside... where I won't go broke since I'm not any engineer or anything.. where I could meet a few people. I just want to live somewhere and like an earlier poster said- establish my own sense of independence so i can feel good about myself as a growing adult.. I was originially just lookingn in north central west virginia but since i live in maryland now I think virginia may be an easier transition for me(a little less rural and i can possibly find a job that wont leave me destitute; living on govt assistance)... thanks for your help. if anybody knows a 20 something year old person who isnt fully college educated but works and lives alone in a va town... let me know what town it is! because if they can make it on entry level jobs perhaps I can!

thanks.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:02 AM

Default me

Did you read my post? because I am exactly that person And the town is Roanoke Va. 24014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahreed87 View Post
if anybody knows a 20 something year old person who isnt fully college educated but works and lives alone in a va town... let me know what town it is! because if they can make it on entry level jobs perhaps I can!

thanks.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Did you read my post? because I am exactly that person And the town is Roanoke Va. 24014

Yes I saw that, thanks!

Right now, what I make in MD (I know I could make a bit more if I just switched jobs) is 9.25/hr. Basically I'd be happy with that in WV, but in WV they will try to pay me $7/hr and that won't cut it. With my experience and college certification coming up, I really should be makingn around $12/hr...

but I will just have to look and brush up on my interview skills I guess.
I don't really know what to ask you.. but .. if you're 21.. then maybe you have a myspace! if its okay I could ask you more stuff as I thin k of it.. or if myspace is too personal thats ok too I'll just post here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia