Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 12:07 AM

150 posts, read 219,389 times

Advertisements

Kind of, yes. Because in the 1960s Northern Virginia was part of that Sunbelt boom. After air conditioning there was big move with businesses from the Northeast to places in Northern Virginia and around DC. D.C. was considered the South's Gateway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:07 PM

797 posts, read 1,431,835 times
I was only taking about appearance and architecture because of all of the new shinny cookie cutter buildings, only exceptions would be parts of Arlington, Alexandria, and maybe Fredricksburg if that counts

Old 06-22-2016, 01:39 AM

998 posts, read 1,251,095 times
The built environment of most of Hampton Roads is a carbon copy of sunbelt regions largely developed after WW II and catering to the automobile. Think strip malls, cul de sacs, wide boulevards, condos, garden apartment complexes etc.
The area may not be "officially" sunbelt but in reality is a mirror image of other sunbelt regions.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:51 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I guess when your average winter has 100'' of snow and sub zero weather we could be looked at as a sunbelt state.
VA is a pretty big state. I know our winters are nothing like that.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:01 PM

150 posts, read 219,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
VA is a pretty big state. I know our winters are nothing like that.
I know. That is ridiculous. Compared to most places, Virginia gets quite a bit less snow on average.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:49 AM

1,808 posts, read 1,958,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
The built environment of most of Hampton Roads is a carbon copy of sunbelt regions largely developed after WW II and catering to the automobile. Think strip malls, cul de sacs, wide boulevards, condos, garden apartment complexes etc.
The area may not be "officially" sunbelt but in reality is a mirror image of other sunbelt regions.
I'd still say that Southside/Hampton Roads qualifies more than any other region of Virginia. IMO Hampton Roads/Norfolk is more like Jacksonville than it is like NYC/Philly and some winters in that part of the state pass without a measurable snowfall similar to cities like Atlanta, New Orleans, and Dallas. They are also further from the mountains that can generate cloudiness in the winter and on the edge of the Gulf Stream's influence. Northern Virginia on the other hand is more similar to say Kentucky in terms of being transitional between a true subtropical, sunbelt feel and a mid-latitude climate. Even though it has a lot of new development, it still has a more comprehensive transit/Metro system that you'll ever find compared to any city further south.

The Richmond area sort of falls in between. Some years/seasons, it feels sunbelt, but others, it feels midland. But generally speaking, I typically see Interstate 40 as the traditional northern boundary of the Sunbelt (and southern boundary of the Upper South), with a few exceptions to include all of Eastern North Carolina, Hampton Roads, and none of the Southern Appalachians.

Overall though, Virginia is not a Sunbelt state but does contain a portion with noticeable characteristics of the region.

Last edited by Borntoolate85; 06-24-2016 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia