Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:50 AM

150 posts, read 219,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
You make it sound like Winchester gets slammed with snow. LOL. If NOVA gets 3 inches Winchester might get 4, 5 at best. Really very little difference in snow totals for area.
Oh i know. But compared to Hampton Roads which is milder. Winchester does get a bit more snow because I went to school in Middleburg and the kids coming from Winchester were always getting 4 more inches than we did. Higher elevation makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 03:27 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,260,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
Oh i know. But compared to Hampton Roads which is milder. Winchester does get a bit more snow because I went to school in Middleburg and the kids coming from Winchester were always getting 4 more inches than we did. Higher elevation makes a difference.

Usually this was likely along Rt. 50 where the elevation increases as you near Rt. 17 where it goes to I 66. It does seem to be worse here but this could also be due to the steepness of the hills in this area.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:53 PM

153 posts, read 173,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by were-to-retire-wolf View Post
Hi, All! I recently joined city-data.com [What a great resource this is, BTW!] Although my wife and I still have about 12-15 years before we plan to retire, we don't want to wait too long to start our "where should we retire" project. So ... here we are ... hoping for some "retire in VA" options/advice!

Below are the answers to the questionnaire I found at the top of this forum. Any and all replies/suggestions will be most welcome!

When are you moving? Upon retirement (about 12-15 years from now). (I hope we will have decided by then! )
Where are you coming from? Northeast part of NYC's Queens county
Why are you moving? Looking for lower cost of living: income taxes, home cost, property taxes, etc.
Where will you be working? Not applicable.
Have you been here yet? Not yet.

Will you buy or rent? Buy.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Either. Wife would like a yard to do a bit of light gardening. Ideally, we would like to put some money in the bank after selling our house so ... we would like to keep the cost of the new place under 350-400K. Would prefer a place in an area that offers more municipal services (water, sewer, electricity, etc.) than those which can provide fewer.

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? NA
How much can you spend? NA
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? NA

Are you married or single? Married.
Do you have children? Two; but our home will most likely be an empty nest by the time we retire.
Do you prefer public or private schools? NA
Do you have pets? No.
Do you want or need a yard? Wife:Nice to have. Me:Meh.
Are you keeping a car? Yes.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm/quiet but not too far (less than 30 min.) from entertainment/restaurants/etc.

What do you want to be closest to? Shopping / Basic services
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
I appreciate the detail you provide in this post; however, given that you're planning to retire 12-15 years from now, and it sounds like you're not buying your retirement place until you move, it's difficult to give you sound advice. Who knows what the state will look like in 2030, or what the housing market and its affordability (or there lack of) will look like? Places that may look attractive today may look very different by the time you move down. As of 2016, Virginia is a great place and an attractive destination for retirees. However, I'd check in again a decade from now. The advice you receive then will be better grounded and more suited for the times.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:59 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,662,686 times
We bought our Lynchburg retirement home in 2003 and retired to it in 2015. Rented in between.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:09 AM

20 posts, read 27,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff22152 View Post
I appreciate the detail you provide in this post; however, given that you're planning to retire 12-15 years from now, and it sounds like you're not buying your retirement place until you move, it's difficult to give you sound advice. Who knows what the state will look like in 2030, or what the housing market and its affordability (or there lack of) will look like? Places that may look attractive today may look very different by the time you move down. As of 2016, Virginia is a great place and an attractive destination for retirees. However, I'd check in again a decade from now. The advice you receive then will be better grounded and more suited for the times.
jeff22152: Yes, I realize that a lot can change in a decade. However, due to me being "well-practiced in the art of procrastination," the sooner I start, the better. In the coming years, I hope to make a number of vacation trips to VA to check out various areas of the state. Thank you for your reply! --- w-t-r-w

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
We bought our Lynchburg retirement home in 2003 and retired to it in 2015. Rented in between.
badger74: Thanks for your response! Did you retire to Lynchburg from another state? If so, what made you decide upon Lynchburg? How do you like it, so far? --- w-t-r-w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia