Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:26 PM

16 posts, read 25,180 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for an area that resembles Savannah, GA. Is there anywhere like this in VA that has the southern charm and historic plantations? I also need to consider the job market for school counseling. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 12:32 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,279,716 times
I love the Staunton, VA. Great walking downtown and popular area. Not sure if it would meet your requirements for jobs but it is a very nice town near some great mountain views.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:42 PM

13,383 posts, read 27,150,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer5girl View Post
My husband and I are looking for an area that resembles Savannah, GA. Is there anywhere like this in VA that has the southern charm and historic plantations? I also need to consider the job market for school counseling. Thanks!!!
Viginia is a cooler climate than Savannah, so it doesn't have the Spanish moss dripping off live oak trees. Virginia has its own traditional style.

Norfolk is a historic coastal city, which probably most resemble Savannah. However, I hestitate to recommend it because the sea level is rising around it, and it experiences flooding.

The most historic areas in Virginia is the triangle from Fredericksburg on the north to Petersburg on the south, and eastward to Hampton. There are probably dozens of plantations, but many of them are in rural areas like Charles City. The rich required thousand of acres to sustain their wealth, so they were naturally not in cities.

Anyone seeking jobs should probably stick to the most populated areas: Richmond, Newport News, Williamsburg, Fredericksburg, etc.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:31 PM

Goldenage1- Where would you recommend out of the cities you listed in terms of affordable housing and safety? What is your favorite out of all the cities you listed? Thanks!

Old 09-06-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Goldenage1- Where would you recommend out of the cities you listed in terms of affordable housing and safety? What is your favorite out of all the cities you listed? Thanks!
I'd recommend a suburb of Richmond like Mechanicsburg or Chesterfield for affordability and safety. If you can accept a little less safety, there are wonderful vintage areas in Richmond: Manchester, Ginter Park, Church Hill.

As far as a favorite place, I'd say Williamsburg, but it is bit more expensive.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:48 AM

How are the schools? Are charter schools available incase we move to an area where the school system isn't the best?

Old 09-07-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
How are the schools? Are charter schools available incase we move to an area where the school system isn't the best?
Schools in the city range from very good to very bad, as you would expect. Check the following resources for all the schools, including Charter and private schools:

1. Schooldigger.com will give you a detailed map of the good, average and poor schools.
2. Greatschools.com will give you a more detailed picture including parent reviews.

As I mentioned in my previous thread the following elementary schools in the city get excellent ratings: Mary Munford, William Fox, and GW Carver north of the river, and Broad Rock in the far southside of Richmond.

The Westover Hills area has some average and better elementary schools, and some below average. You should reasearch them carefully.

Other areas of Richmond probably would not suit your schools or safety criteria although there are some gorgeous historic houses. These include Church Hill, Chimborazo, Manchester, and Ginter Park. Take a look at this listing in Chimborazo, although it has a pending offer. I think it is gorgeous and well work renovating: 4408 Government Rd, Richmond, VA 23231 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Here's a more realistic example of a house in the Fan:
18 S Addison St, Richmond, VA 23220 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Here's an example of a house in Westover Heights:
1212 Westover Gardens Blvd, Richmond, VA 23225 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Happy Hunting!

Old 09-07-2016, 10:16 PM

553 posts, read 619,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'd recommend a suburb of Richmond like Mechanicsburg or Chesterfield.
Mechanicsville.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:18 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,279,716 times
OP. If you're really looking for southern charm then I don't see Richmond and especially the surrounding areas. Now these areas may have more job opportunities but it's seriously lacking the southern charm with maybe a few neighborhoods in Richmond.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:53 AM

While it is not at all like Savannah, another city I have recommended is Roanoke. It is in a valley between mountains. It has a downtown are called Grandin Village with historic homes in a walkable and friendly neighborhood. I suggest you search the forum for comments on schools and affordability.

Also worth checking out is Winchester in the mountains. It has a walkable downtown with numerous older houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia