Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 12:19 PM

10 posts, read 35,965 times

Advertisements

What can anyone tell me about raising kids and living in Lexington? We have two pre-school kids and a 6th grader. We are both self-employed professionals who were impressed by the smaller college town feel of Lexington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 05:40 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,893,682 times
Apparently, Lexington doesn't get much attention these days. Its in a beautiful rural environment. Washington & Lee and VMI are strong universities undergoing expansion. The downtown area is quaint. Nearby Natural Bridge is up for sale and Lexington lost out to get a new civil war museum. I hope tourism isn't going downhilll there but the area certainly seems to be getting more isolated, in my opinion. It does have good access to I-81 however.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:01 AM

210 posts, read 1,140,189 times
Sorry but I just climbed onto my soapbox. It depends on how you look at it as to whether Lexington lost out on the civil war museum relocating from Richmond. Tourism is holding it's own. In my opinion, Lexington (including Rockbridge County) gets a lot of attention. Sure you have the usual attractions that comes to mind: W&L. VMI, Stonewall Jackson House, Lee Chapel and don't forget the Stonewall Jackson Cemetery. Over time I've noticed that people will travel all over exploring the U.S., but can't tell you a lot about their own home state and area in which they live without reciting the usual that everyone knows about. The attention is there it just varies depending upon the time of year. Springs brings a major influx of those wishing to travel Rt.39 by the Maury River through Goshen Pass to view the Rhododendron. But the Maury gets a good bit of attention for other reasons. Formerly known as the North River, a tremendous number of Meteorologist, Oceanographers and Naval buffs come to the area to see the river and the Monument dedicated to Mathew Fontaine Maury, He was nicknamed Pathfinder of the Seas and Father of modern Oceanography and Naval Meteorology and later, Scientist of the Seas. Maury was in awe of Goshen Pass and taught at VMI after the civil war. I bet if I mentioned Samuel (Sam) Houston, you would immediately think of Texas right? Yep, you’re right. Sam Houston was a very controversial figure in Texas History and the first elected President of the Texas Republic, Governor of two states. Do you know where he was born? Here comes Lexington with more quiet attention. Sam Houston was born in a cabin right outside Lexington in Rockbridge County in an area known as Timber Ridge on March 2,1793. There is a monument which is made of a 38,000 pound piece of Texas pink granite located at the Sam Houston Wayside on Rt. 11 North, right off I-81 at mile marker 195, commemorating his birthplace. To some that may be no big deal, to others that is the reason for their trip to Lexington. We all know the Appalachian Trail is in our backyard along with the Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and Parkway. But do you know about The Devil’s Marble Yard? Nope, not going to tell you anything else about Lexington. Look it up or better still come see us. I have to just shake my head when I hear Virginians say there is nothing here to see or do, that it’s so boring! More than anything I just wish people would take a good look at their own backyards regardless of what state they live in. Sometimes it takes an Outsider to Educate an Insider.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:50 PM

9 posts, read 41,588 times
Default Raising Kids

I recommend sending off for some information from the local schools. There are Lexington City Schools, Buena Vista City Schools and Rockbridge County Schools. Some students are home schooled or attend private schools such as Stuart Hall which provides bus service to Lexington.

The folks at Rockbridge Area Tourism are happy to spend time talking with people both in person and over the phone to help answer questions. The Lexington/Rockbridge Chamber of Commerce can provide all sorts of concise profile sheets of and brochures on the area.

There is also a Newcomers Club and a Mom's Club, and I'm sure that they would be happy to answer any questions that you might have as well.

Please use this website created by the volunteer organization "Rockbridge Area Information Line" for contact information for all of the groups that I mentioned above:

Rockbridge Area Information Line Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia