Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:38 PM

351 posts, read 693,161 times

Advertisements

We personally like Ford's Colony the best. It offers the most for the amount of homeowners due you pay and they are less expensive than Kingsmill and Governor's Land. Those make you pay for just about anything you want to do and has a higher price. But the community is really nice at Ford's Colony! They let you use their pools and tennis courts for free. The open grassy areas are also yours to use when you need. The clubhouse is easy to rent out for parties and you have free access to the kitchen as long as you clean up after yourself. You do have to pay a monthly fee however to use their restaurant which is a 5 star rated restaurant by AAA. That's very high! Their home price ranges vary from the mid $300's to over $1 million...depending on where you want your house of course

I don't remember as much as far as Kingsmill goes but the price range is higher. They do start more in the $400-$500 range up to over a million as well.

As far as shopping, I'm afraid that a lot of the big stores are more in Newport News but they are starting to build more stores in the area and I'd imagine more of the larger stores will be moving in soon enough! It isn't a dead town by any means though. There are places to shop there and they do have a few larger stores there in Williamsburg.

As far as Stone House. It's a really new development. I did like it. It'll be a little more cookie cutter than Ford's Colony, Kindsmill, and Governor's Land. But you would have the option of buying a brand new home. It is supposed to be very big. Eventually, they are supposed to have access to I believe the York River since they are a little more north west of The main Williamsburg area. I don't think we will be moving there, however, because we want to be closer to Newport News. It isn't too much further, but still, I'd prefer to be more inside of Williamsburg closer to the more finished areas.

I'm currently living in a new subdivision in NC that didn't have anything surrounding it. It was the first in the area and is still being built. Now the town decided to drop a bunch of apartments and town homes in the area. It's supposed to look really nice, but I'm not too comfortable living in an area that's going to be so new and have no idea what's going to be placed around me. At least the subdivisions in Williamsburg where the three communities I saw were already finished so I pretty much know what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 05:21 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
Appreciate all the feedback. Are there any areas of williamsburg you would avoid to live in or around? Also can anyone offer an opinion about the two communities; Ford's colony and Governor's Land.

Both offer similar amenities. Governors Land monthly fees are much higher because you have to join the country club as a social member. Fords Colony fees are $105 month which pays for Swimming Pools, Tennis, Road Maintenence, Security etc. Fords Colony is gated. Governors Land is not. Governors land has Marina and many waterfront homes. Golf is an option in both communities. Fords Colony current price range is from $320k for an attached home to $2,500,000. They are building a mid rise condo building and have a few other projects in the works. There are currently approx 2000 homes in the community.

All the neighborhoods seem to have a certain feel it just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:32 AM

Wow! That's a huge spread. What do you know about Stonehouse?

Current price range is $340k to $760k. There is one home listed at $1,500,000. Closest major retail stores i.e. Wal Mart, Home Depot, etc. are approx 9 miles Although they are planning to build stores close to the community within the next year. Golf is optional.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:51 AM

How's the real estate market in Williamsburg these days? What about new and existing home prices? What's the average time on market for most homes in Williamsburg?

New townhomes start at $205k
New detached single family homes start at $310k-$330k
Average days on market 2005= 54, 2006= 68
Median Sales price 2005= $334k 2006= $390k

Old 12-05-2006, 07:45 AM

143 posts, read 757,963 times
That's great information. Thank you. Do you know anything about this? http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/briefs/dp-94067bf0dec02,0,3674537.story?coll=dp-briefs (broken link)

Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 AM

143 posts, read 757,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
Median Sales price 2005= $334k 2006= $390k
So I guess this would indicate that Williamsburg is a good investment opportunity as well.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:35 PM

That's great information. Thank you. Do you know anything about this? http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/briefs/dp-94067bf0dec02,0,3674537.story?coll=dp-briefs (broken link)

From what I understand Dominion is getting out of the Land Development business. It will take some time to see what the new owners plans are.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:52 AM

213 posts, read 1,020,432 times
I've read through some of the posts and know that you guys want as accurate info as possible when trying to make such important decisions. I've noticed a few things that are slightly off base, so maybe these clarifications will be useful. it's hard to get to know a lot about a community on short visits or through forums.

"During the warmer months when Busche Gardens is open, I-64 tends to get really crowded, so it's recommended to take the side roads if you must travel during rush hour/rain"

with the "busch floyover" exit, I-64 is less crowded than Rt 60. Always an easy route to navigate no matter where you are headed.

"You have full access to the James River, a few really nice restaurants, tennis, pools, a hotel, and walking trails. It's also a gated community. The golf is a public course so you don't have to pay tons to use it"
You do pay "tons" to use the golf courses. They are the best around and priced accordingly. You can join the country club, it is semi-private.

"Ford's Colony is right next to the College of William and Mary. It's a large and nearly finished gated community. It has the top rated golf course for a community. it has walking trails, pools, tennis, a restaurant with another being built"
FC is nowhere near The College. It is in the County about 10 min away. The course is nice, but not as good as kingsmill.

"There will be a hospital about 10 minutes away and a new school also being built also within minutes from the community. It's a slight more of a distance from Newport News/Hampton but it is still in Williamsburg"
The IS a hospital - recently moved from inside the city limits to York County. it is not in williamsburg proper, it is centrally located to serve the area. Newport News and Hampton also have hospitals

[i]"I looked at a new subdivision being built in Williamsburg, Stone House. It looks good. it'll also have direct access to the York River and is planned to be very big. However, it will be placed more north west of the main area Williamsburg so that may not be your best option if you need to commute to Newport News/Hampton"
Stonehouse is at least 10 yr old, still being developed. It is not on the river. Although in the upper end of the county easy to commute since it directly off an exit of I-64

plenty of families and children - always has been, retirress are fairly new as far as the numbers - specifically governor's land and ford's colony and colonial heritage fraw them. great place to raise a family. housing and cost of living is high compared to surrounding areas. also consider gloucester, new kent, suffolk and smithfield if cosr of living in JCC is too high. job market also an issue - most are service/tourists - many commute to richmond or newport news & hampton.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:48 PM

351 posts, read 693,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsburgfan View Post
"I looked at a new subdivision being built in Williamsburg, Stone House. It looks good. it'll also have direct access to the York River and is planned to be very big. However, it will be placed more north west of the main area Williamsburg so that may not be your best option if you need to commute to Newport News/Hampton"
Stonehouse is at least 10 yr old, still being developed. It is not on the river. Although in the upper end of the county easy to commute since it directly off an exit of I-64
Actually, If I may correct you here. I recently was there. They are expanding to the York River. Currently, they are not at a river, but I talked to the person working at the office there, and she said they are planning to expand to the river. They ARE building a marina there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsburgfan View Post
"There will be a hospital about 10 minutes away and a new school also being built also within minutes from the community. It's a slight more of a distance from Newport News/Hampton but it is still in Williamsburg"
The IS a hospital - recently moved from inside the city limits to York County. it is not in williamsburg proper, it is centrally located to serve the area. Newport News and Hampton also have hospitals
There are plans for a school (I believe more than that as I was told) very near by. Doctor's Hospital is planning on building a community hospital inside of Williamsburg within minutes of Ford's Colony. It is not there at the moment, but it is currently going through approvals (they had to make some changes in the plans, but no doubt it will be approved shortly). Sentara is also moving their urgent care to a shopping center in Williamsburg. I'm well aware of the hospitals near by and in Newport News/Hampton. In fact the area is filled with them, but for anyone's information, there is another hospital on the way.

Sentara Urgent Care:
http://www.sentara.com/Sentara/News/sentara_announces_plans_for_medical_complex_in_new _town.htm (broken link)

The Doctor's Hospital is trying to build a hospital in the Williamsburg. Sentara, which is nearby, is not making it easy but they are planning on making a smaller hospital. They are planning on making in a unique care facility...something that Sentara is not offering. They are trying to focus more on the elderly. Currently the plans are not being approved, but the changes are expected to make it through.

Riverside Doctor's Hospital info: (look around site for more info) http://www.riversideonline.com/about...s/vg070905.cfm
http://www.riversideonline.com/facil...s-hospital.cfm

Seeing that you basically picked apart everything I said, I just thought I'd point out that most of the information I have mentioned was told to me by the people living there/working there as of Nov 2006. Some of those things mentioned are relative..such as if you prefer the kingsmill golf course over Ford's Colony. I am not trying to start a fight, but I did give the most accurate information I was able to, but your opinion is greatly valued and just as useful. I'd just rather you state your opinion rather than putting other's down. Thank you.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:32 PM

213 posts, read 1,020,432 times
Alize

I am just trying to clarify some information. I have lived here and owned businesses and properties for over 40 years. I am active in the community and know it pretty well. Most of these points are informational - such as the hospital. yes, riverside is trying again to get approval - so far no go and if it is approved it years away. we have a great hospital, many urgent care facilities-2 within walking distance of each other - and an ambulatory operating facility. These are not the same as another hospital. Sentatra just moved in August from the City to York County. Although many people want another hospital it will be a long, hard fight and if won many years before completion.

stonehouse eventually will hit the river - but it is 10 years old, not new, and people need to know that. just to make an informed decision.

also, i just saw where you mentioned in a post that fords colony lets you use pools and such for free. Not true - you pay a HOA fee for the community amenities. In order of cost for monthly fees, not including any country club, just the HOA portion high to low is: Gov Land, Ford's Colony, Kingsmill, Stonehouse. These include different amentieis in each community so comparison shop and know what you are getting for your money. If you want to golf and join the clubs that is over and above the HOA fees. i own property in all 4 neighborhoods and all 4 are wonderful.

I know you have visited and some people have told you these things - I just don't think you have gotten COMPLETE and accurate information and was trying to help. if you feel like I am tearing apart your information so be it. Take or leave the information, visit, and make decisions based on your research, that's all anyone can do.

A-

a few more points to clarify.

I never addressed your info on school - a new school is being built minutes from FC - Just know that it will not be the closest to FC - Lafayette High is directly across the street and will remain the closest school, DJ Montague elementary is on centerville rd just outside the back entrance to FC. A new elementary is being built on brick bat road, warhill high near centerville and richmond road. both of these are close to FC, just not THE closest. redistricting is always a sticky wicket. you can contact wjcc school system to know which sections of FC will attend whioch schools. we need more schools - growth is rampant and way behind.

"but no doubt it will be approved shortly" you said this about the proposed new hospital. unless you have crystal ball into the minds of the governing body in Va who grants hospital approvals I would not say this lightly. the request has been turned down numerous times, and as I said, IF and when approved will take years. A huge PR campaign going on now by riverside, but for the very near future sentara regional in YC is the hospital. that combined with all the other faciltiies you mentioned provides great care.

know that most of the subdivisions we have discussed are in James City County - not Williamsburg. Much of the area has williamsburg mailing addresses but JCC, the City and York County (YC) all are often referred to as "williamsburg". the taxes, government, infrastructure, etc vary GREATLY. Once you narrow down chocies know which legal jurisdiction you are in. The City and JCC share schools - YC has its own.

Good luck on your move.

Last edited by williamsburgfan; 12-26-2006 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: additional thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia