Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 05:47 PM

32 posts, read 172,766 times

Advertisements

This is a tough question to ask (as I have on previous threads), but what are your thoughts on the New Town Develeopment? This question is directed mainly at Mr. Williamsburg. What is the buzz like (if any), among Williamsburg/JCC residents regarding New Town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 06:42 PM

213 posts, read 1,023,105 times
"gated community" refers to the 2 subdivisions: Kingsmill and Ford's Colony. You can not drive right through security - you must either be an invited guest 9they call the resident) or going to the club/resort. You get a pass for your windshield. CAN someone sneak in? Maybe. FC has a number of entrances w/o guard - they are closed via an electric arm 9similar to parking garages) and residents have cards/codes to unlock. kingsmill has 2 entrances and both are manned security houses 24/7

governor's land is not "gated" the streets are public, it does have a secuirty guard 24/7 and cameras monitoring the only road in. you do not have to stop at security since roads public (there a few private roads in the neighborhood - off a publuic road - usually with 1-6 houses.)

In all neighborhoods security patrol. certainly easy to enter gov land - the other 2 not so much. some lie at kingsmill and say they are going to resort byt then enter the residential area.

houses are most expensive on average in GL. KM and FC close to the same. KM has many at the lower end, particularly townhouses. KM is 30 yr old and many of the homes need or have had renovating - like any 30 yr old home. it's big draw is amentities for those who want them. FC is about 16 yo or so, was in a big slump about 13 yr ago - has come back nicely. gov land oldest house is 13-14 yo.

we have some wonderful communities. I mentioned to someone a few weeks ago windsor forest is a jewel - and queen's lake in york county. both older, need work on homes, about 300-500K

the one point i want to keep making is cost of living is high. i have seen posts where people think this may not be true. the farther away from the City the less costly, the rural areas are beautiful, we have decent schools, rarely any major crime and OK weather. NO NIGHTLIFE.

I have info on New Town but it looks like someone wants Mr. Williamsburg to answer.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:32 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,988,332 times
This is a tough question to ask (as I have on previous threads), but what are your thoughts on the New Town Develeopment? This question is directed mainly at Mr. Williamsburg. What is the buzz like (if any), among Williamsburg/JCC residents regarding New Town?

What's the buzz about New Town ?

If you talk to locals some hate some love it. It is becoming a major businesses district for the area. Quite a few local business's are relocating or building additional stores or offices there. We are building a new building there and currently occupy space there at present. There are quites a few new stores & restaurants that are opening so it will become a great eating & shopping destination. Real Estate continues to sell and appreciate. There is still a lot more to be developed. New condos were recently announced in another section they will start at almost $300k for a one bedroom ! but very upscale 10 ft ceilings, gourmet kitchens,underground parking.

When finished it will have ton's of retail and commercial businesses. Small park areas throughout along with condos,townhomes and detached homes. Total build out is many years away.

As other posters have said come experience it for yourself. If you are thinking of living in Williamsburg come and spend some time here. Hang out explore, walk, hike, bike, eat out, shop, look at homes for sale.It's not for everyone but we love it. I don't want to sway any one's opinion by my comments after all I hate liver.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 PM

213 posts, read 1,023,105 times
I forgot to mention - the third gated community is Colonial Heritage - a 55+ active community. It is a few years old, on Rt 60 in Lightfoot.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:28 PM

143 posts, read 759,563 times
I just read something really silly in the Virginia Gazette. Is it true that JCC intends to start taxing rainwater (storm drains)?

Old 01-20-2007, 05:29 PM

22 posts, read 79,480 times
As far as I'm concerned, the slightly higher prices and the commute from Williamsburg (even in traffic jams) are worth it! Newport News and Hampton can be a little shady & what looks nice is more often than not, not what it appears to be, especially if you aren't seeing it in person. We're even considering commuting from Williamsburg into Portsmouth...

Old 01-21-2007, 05:02 PM

291 posts, read 1,363,640 times
Hope you have at least 300 grand for a home or your be sorry.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,078 times
We live in Williamsburg. In a non gated community. We spent 102k on our house 15 years ago. We're right next to a great elementary school, very close to a great grocery store, Jamestown, and many other amenities Williamsburg has to offer. Our neighborhood, which does not have a HOA, is safe and clean. It does have a few renters who can be mildly annoying but one has to remember the more important things in life at those most annoying times The houses sell anywhere from $250 to $270 now, nothing for over $300. The idea that you have to have a certain amount of money, or a HOA or a gate to keep everyone out to be happy or safe in a community is flawed. You have to look carefully at other factors as well. Williamsburg/JCC have problems just as any other small municipalities going through growing pains. If you're planning to move to a community be aware of the trials your chosen community is going through and be prepared to be a part of the solution perhaps. Growth, at the moment is the single most challenging issue that James City County has. Balancing the need for homeowners, jobs, and municipal responsibility has been fodder for hundreds of heated debates among the supervisors. Experience in any of those planning areas would be welcome from any incoming and interested parties.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:30 AM

New Town is not as nice as it looks. They did a story the other day on the news. Gangs are already fighting over who gets the territory and they found crack cocaine pipes as well. One 14 yr old assaulted an police officer. Friday nights are the worse it seems. I suspect it will grow worse, just like everywhere else for that matter.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:34 AM

15 years ago we could of bought two homes here, but when the market values jumped, we were outsourced for a home in a safe community, then again I am beginning to think that all areas around here are not as nice as you think, I am learning alot by being on the neighborhood connetions committee here, the things I hear are appauling...its just that the news never reaches the news "most" of the time, in wealthier areas...crime is well hidden in Williamsburg...its still better than NN, but give it time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia