Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 12:40 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times

Advertisements

As well as cutting vehicle registration fees by half.

https://wtvr.com/2019/12/17/governor-northam-budget/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 01:40 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,849 times
I don't know how to feel about this. Yes I get to keep some money but how safe will cars on the road be? Plus what will the people who h as ve free inspections tied into their car note do? Pay more for nothing?

Old 12-19-2019, 01:57 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Torn about this as well - I haven't been able to find info. on it but I really thought that for yrs. OH didn't require (and you see some real rust buckets driving around, or at least you used to). I think for personal safety and reassurance it would/is be a good thing to have it checked out.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:07 PM

1,023 posts, read 913,495 times
I think its a good thing. As the link shows, there is no correlation between state inspections and increased highway safety. Also, there are already buckets on the road. People who drive cars with problems simply find someone to give them a safety sticker for a cost or go to a mechanic that does lax inspections. Its one of those things where we tell ourselves it must be safer but deep down we know it isn't preventing much...which is the reason that 35 states already don't have them. Our inspections are already lax tbh. They really only check your tires, lights and horn. I hardly think it keeps us safer more so than it just makes us feel safer.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:32 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,122 times
My opinion:

At first I said "great", I like that, but...

I have proved over and over through the years that yearly inspections make people fix things that they would otherwise let slide.

Then most female drivers and non-car people who know just about nothing about cars, will not even know when something is worn, needs replacing, repairing, etc. I have witnessed this many times. In my own "friendly" inspection of said cars, while I was watching other cars get inspected, etc.

But the main thing I would dread, it periodic Road Side Safety Checks. It seems like the states that don't have an official yearly inspection, usually have these Road Side Checks.

I don't know about you all, but I would much rather have my vehicle inspection by the garage of my choice in comparison to some appointed Road Side Inspector. The hassle of a surprise stop alone would kill any benefit we would gain. And you know it, it would always be when you are in a hurry to get somewhere, late for work and who knows what else.

Therefore, I'm against it.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:05 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
I wonder if the cutting of registration fees includes the extra electric vehicle fee.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:25 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
I may be by myself but I like the state inspection not just for myself, many times over the year it has given me a heads up that work may be needed or needed soon. Yes I am a responsible adult who keeps an eye on the car but how many people have a regular mechanic anymore who points things out when you get an oil change? Most don't and its not until something fails that we know we need something especially tires and brakes.

Having lived in locations with no state inspection you would be amazed at the rolling wrecks that are on the roads, scary...

Last edited by VA Yankee; 12-19-2019 at 06:58 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 08:13 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I may be by myself but I like the state inspection not just for myself, many times over the year it has given me a heads up that work may be needed or needed soon. Yes I am a responsible adult who keeps an eye on the car but how many people have a regular mechanic anymore who points things out when you get an oil change? Most don't and its not until something fails that we know we need something especially tires and brakes.

Having lived in locations with no state inspection you would be amazed at the rolling wrecks that are on the roads, scary...
I agree. I don't see any harm in the safety inspection and the current cost is what...$16? That's a small price to pay.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:13 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,122 times
It's actually up to $20 now, what I heard anyway.

Still a small price as you have mentioned.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:31 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,188 times
The state of NJ stopped yearly inspections years ago. To save money. More junk on the road. Stop lights out. I wonder about brakes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: