Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:30 PM

112 posts, read 804,145 times

Advertisements

Depending on the kind of car you drive, house you live in; income, etc., it's my opinion that your tax burden is less in Maryland than in any of the high-growth counties (Pr. William, Loudoun, Spotsylvania, et al.) of Northern Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 09:59 PM

143 posts, read 758,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theburro View Post
Depending on the kind of car you drive, house you live in; income, etc., it's my opinion that your tax burden is less in Maryland than in any of the high-growth counties (Pr. William, Loudoun, Spotsylvania, et al.) of Northern Virginia.
What about James City County, VA?

Old 01-01-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Taxes, VA v. MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley View Post
What about James City County, VA?

I did a quick check of the R.E. tax rate in JCC and it's .77 cents - that's dirt cheap. To put this in perspective, during my years in MD my R.E. tax was under $1000 and the market was kinda up-and-down in those days. We had a nice home on a huge lot, although the other houses in the area were newer, bigger, and fancier. Moved to northern VA, RE tax about $1200/year; and that has increased to almost $9000/year

I suggest the following: Search this forum under the subject "Williamsburg" where you will also find info re. James City Co. Contact a RE agent in JCC and ask about the 3 biggest subdivisions (condos, or what you are interested in), drive over there and look over the neighborhoods. If you see a lot of sprawl development, traffic jams, strip malls, and evidence of uncontrolled growth it's a sign the area economy is unsustainable and taxes are going up. Good luck.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theburro View Post
Moved to northern VA, RE tax about $1200/year; and that has increased to almost $9000/year:mad
Holy crap! How many years passed between the $1200 and $9000 rate? You must be in Fairfax or Loudon county.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:37 AM

569 posts, read 1,229,605 times
I've had many conversations with friends that live in the "Peoples Democratice Republic of Maryland" about the MYTH of Virginians having to pay more taxes.

Generally, it's a wash. Yes VA has the "car tax" that you pay every year but it it reduces every year. MD has a higher income tax because you get hit by the state and county combined. Gasoline is ALWAYS more expensive in MD because the gasoline tax in MD is $.06 higher than VA.

As far as RE is concerned, the tax is based on assessments, property values have soared in Northern VA in recent years, so as the property values increased so have the taxes. While MD properties vaules have also increased, they haven't increased nearly has much as VA. My homes taxes have doubled in the last three years, however the property is worth more than double of what I paid for it also. This should be a good indication on where the majority of people would like to live because of better schools, less crime, etc.

I read a article in the Wash Post a few years back that broke down everything and after all was said and done VA was cheaper than MD by a few pct. points.

The problem is MD and it's counties get their taxes from your paycheck before you even see it. While Virginians write a check once a year for the "car tax". SInce Virginians have to write this check everyone automatically assumes that the taxes in VA are higher.

Personally I refuse to cross the Potomac River to move into MD.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:21 AM

That's good to know. Thanks for responding.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:48 AM

[quote=rdbeard5;245620]

Generally, it's a wash. Yes VA has the "car tax" that you pay every year but it it reduces every year. MD has a higher income tax because you get hit by the state and county combined. Gasoline is ALWAYS more expensive in MD because the gasoline tax in MD is $.06 higher than VA.

As far as RE is concerned, the tax is based on assessments, property values have soared in Northern VA in recent years, so as the property values increased so have the taxes. While MD properties vaules have also increased, they haven't increased nearly has much as VA. My homes taxes have doubled in the last three years, however the property is worth more than double of what I paid for it also. "

I agree with your excellent assessment of the 2 states and their taxes. Having lived in both, I favor Virginia for a variety of reasons and plan to stay here. One point of clarification: Richmond has capped car tax "relief" reimbursements to the localities, so many jurisdictions such as Lodoun and Pr. William are now passing their increased costs to the taxpayer. So, our tax on a particular vehicle can theoretically go up (or stay about the same) depending on its value, mileage, etc.

I have many acquaintances (esp. in Fairfax Co.) who have R.E. tax over $10,000 a year, and some whose tax is more than their mortgage payment. Some folks might call their places "mansions" but they are just nice, big houses. Like you say, they benefited from the market inflation and now are sitting on a fortune in assets, at least on paper.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:22 PM

I just thought I'd table this again to see if anyone has any additional comments—especially in regard to business taxes.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:43 AM

157 posts, read 780,757 times
Very interesting topic. We are about to move to DC, and are contemplating (of course) NoVa, Montgomery County (Bethesda), and NW DC.

I get the feeling taxes may be similar in NoVa and Montgomery (not enough of a difference to base our decision on).

However, I favor NW DC- does anyone know how this figures in....

Old 02-12-2007, 10:27 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,056,113 times
Hi - VA sales tax is now 5% not 4 and the sales tax on groceries will be 1.5% after July 1, 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia