Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 09:35 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Hurricane fatigue is understandable! C'ville or near northern VA is probably your best fit, not further west or SW in VA.
Is Winchester worth taking a look at or is it too rural and not what I am looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 10:17 AM

230 posts, read 220,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Is Winchester worth taking a look at or is it too rural and not what I am looking for?
Winchester may be a good fit for you. It's a diverse small city in the northern Shenandoah Valley with a surprising amount of history and character (relative to its size). Surrounding areas remain rural, but the region continues to grow and is becoming more and more integrated with northern Virginia. Winchester is 75 miles west of D.C., which you might find (justifiably) too far removed from the city. Massachusetts can be reached via I-81/I-84 instead of the more congested I-95 corridor. I think it's at least worth taking a look at.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:28 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,055 times
I think Charlottesville, Crozet and areas west of Richmond will give you a lot of what you are looking for while still being close to some "big city" amenities. A lot easier to take the train to DC as well.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominionite View Post
Winchester may be a good fit for you. It's a diverse small city in the northern Shenandoah Valley with a surprising amount of history and character (relative to its size). Surrounding areas remain rural, but the region continues to grow and is becoming more and more integrated with northern Virginia. Winchester is 75 miles west of D.C., which you might find (justifiably) too far removed from the city. Massachusetts can be reached via I-81/I-84 instead of the more congested I-95 corridor. I think it's at least worth taking a look at.
Thx! Definitely worth a look.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I think Charlottesville, Crozet and areas west of Richmond will give you a lot of what you are looking for while still being close to some "big city" amenities. A lot easier to take the train to DC as well.
Great, thanks! We've been to Charlottesville but not for a while so will check it out again when we check out the Richmond burbs. Any town specifically west of Richmond that you would recommend?

Old 07-06-2021, 03:41 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Apologies as I do not recall exactly what you are looking for. I live just a little south of Winchester and have been in this region of VA since 73. NOVA (Manassas) and the valley now. I worked in Winchester for a long time after retiring from my first career and still visit all the time since we are so close and Winchester has more stores and restaurants than my little town. Winchester also has more traffic and it's grown steadily over the years. But still nowhere near the level of NOVA and the I-95 corridor from Richmond to DC.

But Winchester, as already mentioned, has some extensive Civil War history here and the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley is a great place to visit. They have a very old still there that belongs to the family of my next door neighbor who is something like the 6th generation farmer for this farm. They accidentally found the still several years ago buried under some rubble in one of the old barns.

But you have easy access to the Dulles/Tysons areas VS Rt. 7 and 50. Easy access to I-81 to go north to New England. Easy access to NOVA/DC. Easy access to the west to WV and easy access to go south through the valley and continuing on to wherever. Many of us do not like I-81 due to it being 2 lanes and all the trucks but in reality it beats I-95 from DC to Richmond about 75-90% of the time. Comparing the two areas on Googlemaps shows 95 pretty much always tied up, especially in the summer months.

I've seen others mention Rebel flags to you and yes, you will see some. Are they dominating the landscape? Of course not. Do people shove it down your throat? Absolutely not. I am a southerner and am in my 60's. I have never owned one of these flags and have never encountered anyone flying one that was looking for trouble.

We decided against living in the Winc area as we were done with traffic and we settled further into the mountains with some incredible views and neighbors. (That we cannot see). If you want access to some beautiful countryside then anywhere in this valley is where you want to be. Plenty of choices in small towns and larger towns and cities as well.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Apologies as I do not recall exactly what you are looking for. I live just a little south of Winchester and have been in this region of VA since 73. NOVA (Manassas) and the valley now. I worked in Winchester for a long time after retiring from my first career and still visit all the time since we are so close and Winchester has more stores and restaurants than my little town. Winchester also has more traffic and it's grown steadily over the years. But still nowhere near the level of NOVA and the I-95 corridor from Richmond to DC.

But Winchester, as already mentioned, has some extensive Civil War history here and the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley is a great place to visit. They have a very old still there that belongs to the family of my next door neighbor who is something like the 6th generation farmer for this farm. They accidentally found the still several years ago buried under some rubble in one of the old barns.

But you have easy access to the Dulles/Tysons areas VS Rt. 7 and 50. Easy access to I-81 to go north to New England. Easy access to NOVA/DC. Easy access to the west to WV and easy access to go south through the valley and continuing on to wherever. Many of us do not like I-81 due to it being 2 lanes and all the trucks but in reality it beats I-95 from DC to Richmond about 75-90% of the time. Comparing the two areas on Googlemaps shows 95 pretty much always tied up, especially in the summer months.

I've seen others mention Rebel flags to you and yes, you will see some. Are they dominating the landscape? Of course not. Do people shove it down your throat? Absolutely not. I am a southerner and am in my 60's. I have never owned one of these flags and have never encountered anyone flying one that was looking for trouble.

We decided against living in the Winc area as we were done with traffic and we settled further into the mountains with some incredible views and neighbors. (That we cannot see). If you want access to some beautiful countryside then anywhere in this valley is where you want to be. Plenty of choices in small towns and larger towns and cities as well.
Thank you for the info! I worry with all the focus on the Civil War history that the strong dislike of Yankees might be as prevalent there as it is here in Charleston.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:04 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Thank you for the info! I worry with all the focus on the Civil War history that the strong dislike of Yankees might be as prevalent there as it is here in Charleston.

Seems several have told you this is not an issue here. But you seem to be overly concerned so maybe you should not consider the area. But keep in mind the Civil War pretty much covered all of VA.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:42 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Quote:
Seems several have told you this is not an issue here. But you seem to be overly concerned so maybe you should not consider the area. But keep in mind the Civil War pretty much covered all of VA.
I recommend she move to..... Massachusetts.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Because I was told it was not an issue in Charleston either - but it is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia