Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2021, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,249 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some assistance and advice on how to proceed. My license was suspended for not having insurance on a vehicle approx. 13 months ago. This has been a nightmare for me to address post Covid and this is taking forever.

Or if anybody knows anybody who I can hire to help me with this process, that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I am a full time student, who works only 3 days a week to make ends meet because I am taking 90hours of course work per week. In the last year alone, my monthly uber/lyft combined bill has been on average $1300 per month.

I went to the DMV website and paid approx. $700 (One fee for approx. $500 for an uninsured motorist fee, and the other approx. $200 for license reinstatement fee), afterwards my license was not reinstated, so I requested a compliance summary. Here is a copy of my compliance summary.

"
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT OF YOUR DRIVING RECORD.

This is a courtesy summary designed to assist you in complying
with the requirements associated with orders of revocation,
suspension, disqualification, or cancellation as of the date
listed above. To provide the court and other entities with
detailed information on your driving history, this compliance
summary should be accompanied by a driver transcript.

You are ineligible to drive until you do all of the following:

* Have a Liability Insurance Company licensed to do business in
Virginia file a form SR22 (Certificate of Insurance) as proof
that you have insurance.

Note: I went ahead and signed up for insurance on my vehicle, and requested a "sr22", and began booking my DMV appointments. Unfortunately two weeks later, my insurance canceled my policy, for NOT HAVING A VIRGINIA'S DRIVER'S LICENSE!

So I went ahead and sold this vehicle, as I have been unable to drive it, and plan to buy a new one before getting my license reinstated.

So my question is now, how do I get insurance, if I do NOT own a vehicle, and if I do purchase a vehicle, how do I get liability insurance without a valid license???

* Take and successfully pass a complete driver examination. The
examination will include a vision, written and road test.

I've gone ahead and booked multiple DMV appointments. The first one is just an appointment for "reinstatement of driving privilege's", and after two months, it is now only three weeks away. I plan on using this appointment to ask as many questions as I can on how to get my license reinstated.

My next appointment will be two weeks after this, august 13, for the written portion of the driving exam.

Unfortunately I was not able to book a third appointment for the actual driver's test, because it wouldn't let me. I don't know if its because I need to first pass the written portion of the test, before I can even book an appointment for the driver's portion, or if DMV's simply are not taking driving exam appointments right now. And unfortunately the DMV I've booked an appointment at for the written exam, doesn't even DO the driving exam, so there's 0% chance of me knocking these out on the first day, so I will have to wait probably at least 5 months from today before I will maybe get my license back.

The written and road test must be taken at DMV. The vision test may
be taken at DMV or you may have your eye doctor complete the vision
portion of the Customer Medical Report (MED 2) or a Vision Screening
Report (MED 4).

DMV will review the completed form. We will notify you of the results
and whether additional reports are required in the future.

WHAT FORM? They did not supply one.

If you do not have a form, you may contact DMV at one of the
telephone numbers listed below and request that forms be mailed to you
or you may visit our website at [url]www.dmvnow.com[/url] and download the
form.

DMV IS NOT ACCEPTING ANY CALLS AT ALL. I can go to the DMV website and download the form, but have no idea what form I am looking for. Does anybody have any idea?

ATTENTION: Administrative hearing requests for insurance monitoring
orders of suspension issued July 1, 2012 or after must be received
by DMV within 180 days of the order issue date. Your right to
request a hearing will expire at that time unless evidence is
provided that one of the following circumstances existed on the
date the order was issued: active military duty, incarceration,
hospitalization/in-patient treatment, or physical presence outside
of the United States.

Should you have any questions, please call:
VOICE: 1-804-497-7100
Connect to hard of hearing TTY Device at 1-800-272-9268

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT OF YOUR DRIVING RECORD.
END OF SUMMARY.
"

Last edited by Gambits1988; 07-05-2021 at 12:51 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 01:12 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
While the "jail" component was taken out for an arrest for Driving on a Suspended when it is a financial issue it is still important you get on top of this. Getting in touch with DMV is obviously very tough right now but I do see them answering messages on Facebook. Go to their Facebook page and see if you can get them to respond to a message sent directly to them. I am a retired VA LEO and I know how frustrating dealing with DMV can be. I know of no one, but an attorney that you can hire, and I really see no benefit to this. You may just have to tough it out. But do try the Facebook route just to see.

Last edited by Bigfoot424; 07-05-2021 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-05-2021, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,249 times
Thanks my friend. I will def give that a try!

Old 07-06-2021, 10:17 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
Talk to an insurance agent, who specializes in SR22. Move closer to campus.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:04 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
You have my sympathy.. the Va DMV situation now is getting beyond ridiculous. My son had to get his license upgraded to a Real ID, and when that process online did not work, his license was suspended and it took 2.5 months to get an appointment.

You need to follow the process of
- getting the driver's license
- then getting the car
- and then getting the insurance with an SR-22 form filed. Check with the insurer (or a few insurers) NOW to make sure there is no unforeseen problem with taking many weeks to get the car finally titled, registered, and tagged, and what you need to do to satisfy the insurer that the car is really yours. Or if you are doing the title/register/tag process by mail.

That last matter is to get the titling and registration and tagging completed for the new car. If the car is bought from a private individual (who do not have special access to the DMV for title and insurance work), then you may have to wait to drive the car until you can get another appointment to get it titled and registered (and maybe insured... why you should speak with the insurer(s) now). Or do the title by mail process. Private sales are not eligible for 30 temporary tags. Dealers can issue temporary tags to help to get around that problem.

Insurers will and do check you license situation from time to time and certainly for a new policy or any significant policy changes. Recent example: We bought a large umbrella policy for our auto's to satisfy a customer, and they checked the status of all our driver's licenses; they found my son's driver's license was suspended at that time, but when we explained what was going on, the insurer took no action to cancel, as they knew the VA DMV delay situation. With your long-term license suspension, they really had no alternative but to cancel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia