Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 45,584 times

Advertisements

Okay...here's the deal!

I've landed a job in DC with the Federal Government, pretty much next to the Capital off Pennsylvania Ave.. I should be moving to Northern Virginia within the next month. This is the biggest transition for me, as I have grown up in South Orange County (Irvine area) most my life. I'm used to the sunny Southern California lifestyle, mixed cultures, going the beach for boogie-board therapy, cruising in my flip-flops, and nightly dog walks (an 85 pounder) at 12 a.m.. Now, I've never had things handed to me on a silver spoon and I've worked for everything I have. I'm single, 31, well educated, not the ugliest duck in the pond, and have adopted a son with special needs. I know all about politics and California is just getting too crowded, polluted, crime ridden, etc. It's time for a change...

So...I've done tons and tons of research, google earth images while researching housing prices, citi data, school systems, transportation, blah blah blah. I have family in Burke who also works for the Government by the Capital. They say I can live with them but I have pets so it looks like I'll rent in Apt. the first year but I need some feedback on the do's and don'ts, I'll try my best:

Looks like I'll be moving to Burke...I think
$65k should be my income the 1st year, If I do well I'm up for a sweet raise after 1 year. My son whom I adopted has Special Needs and will be placed in a school for children with Behavioral/Emotional Problems. He is 17 in June, thus a soon to be Senior. It looks like Cedar Lane or Quander Road and I'm leaning towards Cedar Lane who has an ED program (Emotionally Disturbed) and in a better area. I need to rent a pet friendly home but it looks like I won't have enough income to rent a house so it looks like Burke Shire Commons off Chase Commons Street might be an option. Does anybody know about this place or area? I do not want to be around any low income drama if you know what I mean. I need a nice neighborhood for my son, WHO IS VERY HANDSOME, so I worry because he is 17 but has the cognitive functioning of a 9 year old due to neglect and emotional trauma. In fact he will make friends and play with 12 year olds all day, yet he is able to work a Vet Hospital on Saturdays as he wants to be a Vet Tech for a couple years after High School which he should be able to do. What about the Manassas area? Hum...also I was told about slugging to DC, well to be honest as an attractive female who totally looks Californian I think this might not be a safe option as I might be a target. Also I have a Ford Ranger which has been my Beach truck. I have it almost paid off and I feel I should get a more appropriate vehicle, however I'll need it to drive out there. Will the vehicle be safe to use till March 09 (when it will be paid in full). What areas should I keep my son away from? Are there any after school programs? My gosh packing up and moving your life is just crazy but I've decided I want my son to be in a safe place and I need good mental health care as I forked out over 6k of personal cash so he could be seen by great Dr.s. Also, I'm still young and want to be able to have a little night life once in a while. Any nice bars/restaurants in town where no weirdos are gonna stalk me. My dogs though, ugh (and cats too) what to do. Give me all your feedback. I'm a pretty smart chick and need feedback. I have survived Los Angeles traffic and am a great driver, but I do have back pain issues and would like to just take a train to work, home-work that's it no rift raft in between. Also, I'm not worried about the school boundaries because due to my sons disabilities, he WILL be placed in the school that can provide a separate day class. I'm an education MS so they can't pull any fast one's on me in that area!

OKAY...i guess I've typed enough for now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 7,259 times
The best place for you would be Burke. There are TH that are in the range of $1800-2000/ range if you could possibly afford that much. My daughter baby sits a kid who is in the same situations and there is a school there for the kids with specials needs. More so the best of all is the Lake Braddock school. One of the top 5 in US. That is all I could suggest.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:48 PM

55 posts, read 141,869 times
Well you sound snooty enough to live in Northern VA. You don't have to worry about crime up there, as long as you stay in fairfax. There's some crime in manassass, but not much, and judging by your... demeanor... i don't think you would like manassass at all. BTW, Northern VA / DC is the 2nd worst traffic in the nation behind LA, so you aren't escaping much in that department. Night life in DC is great, but stay out of Southeast

Old 09-14-2008, 06:05 PM

8 posts, read 45,584 times
Okay......thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia