Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 AM

939 posts, read 1,892,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
Yes, the rest of Virginia might as well be Kentucky, Alabama, Miss etc.
I certainly wouldn't go that far. Portions in the southwest and west of the Blue Ridge tend to be more similar to WV and portions down by the border in NC can start to resemble the deep south, but a blanket statement saying the rest of the Virginia is basically dirty poor hillbilly land is way too harsh and are probably observations reserved for those that are unfamiliar with many parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 PM

203 posts, read 412,612 times
Exclamation The "rest of Virgnia" is NOT "dirty poor hillbilly land"!

In a previous post #79 in this thread (apparently in reply to my previous "Does Mortar Hold Bricks Together, Or Keep Them Apart" post #78 on 1/24), gaijin_samurai (in attempt to distinguish "Northern Virginia" from Richmond -- and apparently also from everywhere else in the Commonwealth) had stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
"Yes, the rest of Virginia might as well be Kentucky, Alabama, Miss etc."
I replied almost immediately to gaijin_samurai's comment on 1/26 with my post #80, which refuted post #79's ignorance in some detail. Additionally, on 1/30, GustavoFring also replied incisively to gaijin_samurai's previous comments in post #81, which also refuted post #79 as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I certainly wouldn't go that far. Portions in the southwest and west of the Blue Ridge tend to be more similar to WV and portions down by the border in NC can start to resemble the deep south, but a blanket statement saying the rest of ... Virginia is basically dirty poor hillbilly land is way too harsh and are probably observations reserved for those that are unfamiliar with many parts.
I am gratified to see that GustavoFring and I are essentially in agreement in objecting to gaijin_samurai's posting #79.

And while I'm not sure that gaijin_samurai had specifically intended to make a blanket statement characterizing the "rest of Virginia" (and the entirety of several other Southern States) as "basically dirty poor hillbilly land" as GustavoFring had suggested, I suspect most readers of gaijin's posting would be likely to immediately assume that such a characterization was what gaijin had intended.

And I sincerely hope that someday in his/her/its lifetime gaijin_samurai finds the opportunity to visit ALL OF those other states mentioned (as well as the "rest of Virginia", and will perhaps someday come to understand that in any of those "other" places gaijin_samurai had previously mentioned there really are places that could be called urban; suburban; rural; wasteland; or any other imaginable demographic along that continuum, whether within the Commonwealth of Virginia, or any other state in the USA, whether "southern" or "northern" or "eastern" or "western" or anywhere else.

Please, gaijin_samurai, the next time you're traveling, open your eyes and look at what's actually there ... and THINK before you begin making such destructive comments.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,639 times
If ya were smarter HR is better than NOVA overall, history, people, pace is ok js its not hillbilliesh like ya say about VA in general! NOVA to me is a lil wack lol its nothing there but DC and maybe pentagon city and arlington other than that ya do dickride DC hardbody, DC is kind overrated, i was raised in NYC and was born in NEWPORT NEWS,VA, ya talking bout crime rates, Richmonds Crime rate has recently dropped at one point a long period of time Richmond was the WORST city in FROM SC to NJ, having higher crime rate than both DC and BMore not to glorify it, so stop sleeping on VA cuz honestly VA and DC isnt to much different depending on where you at in VA!

Old 01-28-2015, 12:02 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee wise View Post
If ya were smarter HR is better than NOVA overall, history, people, pace is ok js its not hillbilliesh like ya say about VA in general! NOVA to me is a lil wack lol its nothing there but DC and maybe pentagon city and arlington other than that ya do dickride DC hardbody, DC is kind overrated, i was raised in NYC and was born in NEWPORT NEWS,VA, ya talking bout crime rates, Richmonds Crime rate has recently dropped at one point a long period of time Richmond was the WORST city in FROM SC to NJ, having higher crime rate than both DC and BMore not to glorify it, so stop sleeping on VA cuz honestly VA and DC isnt to much different depending on where you at in VA!
NoVa is not wack and please learn how to speak proper English.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:29 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
As a Texan who has visited your state, once just on I-81 ,then another time going to Charlottesville, and then visiting Williamsburg, and down to Norfolk, I want to commend you on a beautiful state. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in VA both going and coming back from our daughter's place in Philly. The people were friendly and the scenery was beautiful. We hope to go back and spend more time someday. You should be proud of ALL of your state, IMHO.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:58 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,379 times
Thank you, there is a lot to be proud of! Please do come back and stay awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia