Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 08:12 AM

11 posts, read 45,439 times

Advertisements

Any cities that stand out from the rest because of its music/art scene? We also love neighborhoods with funky shops and restaurants. Entertainment for kids is also a plus. Any input will help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 09:23 AM

126 posts, read 483,949 times
Well, the best culture is DC which means NoVA. The downside being that it's NoVA which, IMO, makes it one of the top 5 worst places to live in the U.S.

Richmond has decent culture, but will likely pale compared to what you're used to. Hampton Roads/Norfolk/VA Beach has some too, but really nothing compare to NoVA.

The question is whether culture is you're #1 criteria and what you're willing to sacrifice to have it.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:03 AM

I'm not expecting any place to be exactly what I'm used to, I just want to live somewhere that has some live music, maybe some festivals. Some place with things to do on the weekends besides go to the mall. Friendly people is a plus. I've heard the attitude in in NOVA is a little different than what I'm used to. How is the attitude in Richmond?

Old 04-12-2007, 11:22 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,326,210 times
Attitude is definitely better than Nova. Check out the link I provided in your other thread. Richmond has a wide array of festivals, and the live music scene will be much improved beginning this summer when two awesome venues open.

Some Festivals I can think of off the top of my head:
Lebanese Food Festival
Greek Festival
Festival of India
Italian Festival
Irish Festival
National Folk Festival (this is the 3rd of 3 years it is in Richmond. It will move on but plans are to make a similar festival a tradition in Richmond.
2nd Street Festival (mostly a celebration of African American culture)
Easter on Parade (Easter festival on Monument Avenue)
Asian American Festival
River City Beer and Seafood Festival
French Film Festival (largest in the U.S.)
Brunswick Stew Festival
Shamrock the Block
Strawberry Hill Races
Highland Games and Celtic Festival
Carytown Watermelon Festival
Cinco de Maya Fiesta
Friday Cheers (music series)
Innsbrook Afterhours (music Series)
CaribFest
Arts in the Park
First Fridays Artwalk

etc.. etc...

Plus if you're into outdoor/extreme/offroad sports and activities, Richmond has a ton of things to offer for that.
Check out this website for more on that kind of stuff: http://www.sportsbackers.org/

Old 04-12-2007, 11:26 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,197,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA207 View Post
I'm not expecting any place to be exactly what I'm used to, I just want to live somewhere that has some live music, maybe some festivals. Some place with things to do on the weekends besides go to the mall. Friendly people is a plus. I've heard the attitude in in NOVA is a little different than what I'm used to. How is the attitude in Richmond?
Roanoke has live music in all sorts of venues every weekend. If you enjoy bluegrass and/or eclectic and/or jazz then Floyd, VA, about 40 minutes from Roanoke, has live music every Friday night at the Floyd Country Store - http://www.floydcountrystore.com/. One great resource for learning more about Roanoke is The Roanoker Magazine - http://www.theroanoker.com/bestof/food/index.cfm (broken link). Here is a shot of the downtown market area:

http://johnsmilitaryhistory.com/downtown57b.jpg (broken link)
(image from http://johnsmilitaryhistory.com/roanokephotos.html)

Floyd is a special town on the weekend, and for those that live close, the music is hard to resist. For more about the music in Floyd check out http://www.making-ripples.com/music/index.html.

Sean

Old 04-12-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Some Festivals I can think of off the top of my head:
Lebanese Food Festival
Greek Festival
Festival of India
Italian Festival
Irish Festival
National Folk Festival (this is the 3rd of 3 years it is in Richmond. It will move on but plans are to make a similar festival a tradition in Richmond.
Asian American Festival
River City Beer and Seafood Festival
CaribFest
Arts in the Park
First Fridays Artwalk
that's awesome. My husband will be very happy to hear about the festival with emphasis on beer. He loves IPAs and pale ales, and those are hard to come by down here! Are there any good breweries up there?

Old 04-12-2007, 12:32 PM

474 posts, read 1,263,137 times
That's a beautiful photo, Sean. You should win some kind of award for promoting Roanoke in general and Franklin County in particular!

Old 04-12-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA207 View Post
that's awesome. My husband will be very happy to hear about the festival with emphasis on beer. He loves IPAs and pale ales, and those are hard to come by down here! Are there any good breweries up there?
That's great.. Last summer there were actually two beer festivals... The River City Beer and Seafood festival was you pay $25 ($20 in advance) and they give you a tasting mug and it's all you can drink, choosing from more than 35 different brews.

The other one was the first annual Legend's Beer Festival, which had over 50 imports and microbrews. The pricing was the same but instead of a small tasting mug you were given a really nice glass pint glass to keep!

There's a great place here called Capital Ale House, which has over 50 beers on tap, and a selection of more than 300. It was named the 10th best place to get a beer in the country.

There are two prominent microbrews in town, Legend's Brewery and Richbrau. Legend's produces a really nice product.

They even have a 5k Beer Run where you run a 5k, but along the way you have to stop at bars and chug a beer. Never done that one but it sure sounds interesting!

There's also an Oktoberfest event every year as well though I haven't attended.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:56 PM

Also, Here's the Ale and Lager menu at Capital Ale:

http://www.capitalalehouse.com/libations/lager.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia