Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,527 times

Advertisements

Jeb--I think you have pretty much figured out what I am looking for. I love the rolling hills with smaller "mountains". I don't want to be isolated-that's part of what I am having trouble with. I would definitely like to "downsize" my metro area. Orlando is just way too huge and congested. I liked that when I was in Mechanicsburg, PA (edge of Harrisburg metro) I was 3 minutes from being in the country, driving by historical stone farmhouses; small, sleepy hamlets; creeks with some of the best trout fishing in the world, historical sites galore; etc. Yet I was only 10-20 minutes from any/all shopping I needed. To have places like Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City, Washington DC, etc. all within 1-3 hours was very nice. This is part of what is drawing me to this area of Virginia, NC, TN, etc. I am only a hop, skip, and a jump from at least 7 states and many, many meto areas--tho they are smaller than places listed above, I find them all intriguing! We didn't make trips to the city often, but it did make for a nice day trip or weekend getaway.

I grew up in a town of only 5000 in a very rural area. I could go back to a small town if I had city conveniences relatively close--say within 30 miles. I have heard so many nice things about Lexington & Roanoke and Blacksburg--none of which I have spent any quality time in. The time that I did spend driving in the western part of Virginia though--I was in heaven....it was absolutely beautiful!!!! I got on back roads--and I mean real back roads--that went on for miles, got narrower and narrower, eventually turned to gravel, dirt, or just plain ended--but I had a blast--even with no cell service for a good part of the time--which meant I had no navigator or GPS--as my GPS is on my phone....It was quite fun....I am the kind of person that can find pleasure in looking at an old barn, old homestead, herd of goats, fenceline of sunflowers, antique stores or junk stores with hidden treasures!

And, as I said, I have visited Asheville several times--it just isn't my cup of tea. It is an interesting place--but not especially where I want to move and call home....

Last edited by itsajourney; 12-17-2009 at 09:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:28 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,210 times
No one commented on the issue of state taxes, property tax, car tax, etc. Any thoughts on comparisons there, both for the gainfully employed and those on pensions/social security/retirement etc.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,474 times
the money to manage a state is going to come from somewhere. and if it doesnt then you're losing what would be more funding toward nicer sidewalks, programs for the less fortunate, and other things. i'd personally rather live in a state with an income tax.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:47 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
Remember you're really comparing three "states". North Carolina, Virginia and, really 'Northern Virginia' because they may as well be two different states. Northern Virginia is very urban and developed and more (God I hate this term) "progressive". Virginia, south of Fredericksburg is more rural and conservative. Then you have to dissect NC into different areas. So, pick an area of Virginia and a comparable area of NC and it will be easier to decide.

Best of luck!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:18 AM

9 posts, read 49,159 times
Default Small World...

We're in the same situation - grew up in PA, moved to Orlando, moved back after 3 years - now looking to set roots in NC/SC/VA - just not sure where.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:27 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,527 times
znelson--where in PA are you? I was in Mechanicsburg--western edge of Harrisburg metro area. I had the rolling hills, historical homes/buildings, all the shopping & dining I could want for, close proximity to Baltimore, DC, Philadelphia and New York City, quaint & charming towns all around me, and foothills of the mountains within a few minutes drive. I would really like to replicate this in a somewhat warmer and more friendly location.

As I said earlier, the more trips I take, the more places of interest I find. I have come to the conclusion that there are many smaller to mid-size metro areas I could live in or near and be totally happy. That's why I am now trying to find out more about the personality & costs of living in each state.

At least you survived 3 years down here. So many people barely make it a year and then go back home--realizing they didn't want that either.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:08 PM

239 posts, read 711,214 times
I lived in Raleigh, NC for just over one year and did not like it. It is really pretty and the beach is easier to get to than from here in NoVA, but I did not like the people. Most of the people that I got along well with were also from different areas; one day at my volunteer job I asked a couple of women if they had any friends that are actually from the Raleigh area and they realized that all their friends were from elsewhere. The people are polite, but that can only get you so far. Polite when you walk into a store is a good thing, but when someone says 'hi, how are you?' I usually respond with ' great!, how are you?' not realizing that they only asked me that to be 'polite' with no actual interest in my answer was very disheartening.

I have found that here in Arlington I meet people that are actually friendly and nice. My daughter has also met people here that are much more pleasant.

I think that if you are really into soccer or being a 'soccer parent' Raleigh may be a good place for you. If you want to have a variety of friends and things to do, VA is where you want to be.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:55 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times
Although both states are pretty much similar, there are a few differences I notice. Both are pro-business and center-right states politically. Both have a mixture of urban and rural, with a lot of scenery. VA I think does a better job of preserving historic areas. Charlotte, pretty much bulldozed most of historic buildings for newer buildings downtown. NC also seems to let developers pretty much run the state, while some areas in VA do a better job of restricting growth, although sprawl is still an issue there.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:51 PM

162 posts, read 229,578 times
Both Virginia and North Carolina are wonderful states. No state can touch the history of Virginia and no state can touch the BBQ of North Carolina! Both have beautiful mountain scenery and beaches. Just take a look around and find the town you really like.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:35 PM

156 posts, read 369,907 times
I was born in PA and lived in Benton until I was 5 and my parents wanted to move to Nj and was raised there but have retired to VA and live 15 minutes from NC and like visiting there but seems costs are higher there than here .I love Eden NC and Reidsville and stoneville pretty towns and really nice people .But same here in Axton VA .Nice little towns to visit around here too .I go to the Hillsville flea market every year ,it is a town wide event 2 times a year .I like to shop in all the small towns around here like Stuart, Martinsville , Collinsville ,Rockey mount , Critz ,just to name a few . Check it out you can;t lose by going online to google maps for a list of towns and then checking out the towns you like online , good luck and best wishes to you and your loved ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia