Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 07:27 PM

261 posts, read 1,272,206 times

Advertisements

Well since the Appalachians' tallest peak (Mt. Mitchell, 6,684 ft.) doesn't fit the Texan "definition" of a mountain, should we be petitioning to ask the government to rename the range the Appalachian Hills?

Seems like a lot of people have long considered them mountains, despite what the fabricated proud_texan's definition says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 08:10 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL88 View Post
what im looking for is a county where its all mountains, cheap land and cheap rent, low crime, low population yet close enough for shopping and other conveniences, a list of counties to look at would help...and are there any counties i should avoid?
Check out Rappahannock County... It's sort of in and sort of on the eastern slope of the Blue Ridge and it is GORGEOUS scenery... Also have heard people mention that it is a county that is very resistant to changing it's rural nature in favor of allowing development. That sounds like it might be your cup of tea. I wouldn't mind living there myself, but my wife has requirements of being somewhat close to good shopping...

Good luck...

Old 05-13-2007, 09:33 PM

62 posts, read 203,431 times
ok im gonna check the places yall have mentioned out...can someone give me like a triangled area to look in...or the counties on this side of 81 or whatever? ya know what i mean? me and my wife have a 6 month old daughter and are pregnant with our 2nd child...so we want a child friendly place as well..around 1500-5000 people...but i def want a triangled area would be helpful...something like from this county to this county or from this highway to this highway something like that so it would give me an area to look at....

Old 05-14-2007, 04:24 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,119 times
I whipped up this elevation map for you:

http://extranet.digitalspinner.com:8180/virginia_topo.gif (broken link)

Pretty much everything light and dark brown is where you want to be looking. With the most mountainous counties being Grayson, Smyth, Tazewell counties in SWVA and Highland County in north central Virginia.

Cheers,

Sean

Old 05-14-2007, 08:02 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Proud to be Texas, or whatever your handle is/was, Virginia and West Virginia are beautiful and full of great people. BTW, a mountain is defined as being over 2,000 feet. I know someone already set this person straight I just wanted to chime in.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:20 PM

267 posts, read 1,674,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Proud to be Texas, or whatever your handle is/was, Virginia and West Virginia are beautiful and full of great people. BTW, a mountain is defined as being over 2,000 feet. I know someone already set this person straight I just wanted to chime in.

Don't worry about that poster. It appears all his/her posts have been pulled. Maybe due to the fact that nothing that was posted by him/her was any help to anyone.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:37 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Check out Rappahannock County... It's sort of in and sort of on the eastern slope of the Blue Ridge and it is GORGEOUS scenery... Also have heard people mention that it is a county that is very resistant to changing it's rural nature in favor of allowing development. That sounds like it might be your cup of tea. I wouldn't mind living there myself, but my wife has requirements of being somewhat close to good shopping...

Good luck...
Oh, that's too sad for you. Mountains over shopping rules!!

I'm confused. Isn't Rappahannock County in Northern Virginia of which people don't speak to favorably?

Last edited by KewGee; 05-14-2007 at 04:51 PM..

Old 05-14-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Oh, that's too sad for you. Mountains over shopping rules!!

I'm confused. Isn't Rappahannock County in Northern Virginia of which people don't speak to favorably?
Can't speak for those you're referring to, but usually when people refer to NOVA they're referring to D.C.'s surrounding counties. Technically Rappahannock wouldn't be more than an hour and a half from D.C., but it is about as rural as it gets.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:03 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,119 times
An hour and a half away still counts as NoVA. I have family in Winchester; he is a master electrician and heads to work by 4:00am to get to work by 5:15am by beating traffic, as I imagine does most of the residents of the Winchester area. Of course he still runs into an enormous amount of traffic at 4:30am but it's much less congested than 8:00am!

Sean

Old 05-14-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
An hour and a half away still counts as NoVA. I have family in Winchester; he is a master electrician and heads to work by 4:00am to get to work by 5:15am by beating traffic, as I imagine does most of the residents of the Winchester area. Of course he still runs into an enormous amount of traffic at 4:30am but it's much less congested than 8:00am!

Sean
And that has what to do with Rappahannock???

When people talk of NoVA yes, they are referring to outlying bedroom communities as well, but Rappahannock (Winchester is a good 40 minutes northwest BTW) falls under a different category. One MAY be able to get to D.C. in 1 1/2 hours from there, but it is hardly a bedroom community and they intend to keep it that way.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia