Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:58 PM

10 posts, read 33,579 times

Advertisements

Hello Guys,

I'm looking for some suggestions for good to best areas to live in VA. Our family have visited many times VA for vacations and my wife just love to find a way that we can rellocate to this area. We love to have information of approximately house cost, good school districts, and not high crimes (we have kids). Currently, my living area is not so much sky-rise building and not farming area. Basically, a rural community and very quite place to live.

Furthermore, my current career is in information technology, finishing a MS Degree in Technology Management. Therefore, beside my other previous questions, what are the alternative to find a career on this field with a good paying salary?

From what I' been reading in all other Threads, VA can be very expensive place to live. And, a lot of threads sound very positive for us to move in. Please, post some suggestions on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 08:12 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,018 times
Virginia is very large and has something different for everyone. Are there any particular areas you are interested in? If any will do, what kind of work will you be looking for? What kind of environment do you prefer, beach or city or mountains or ???? you will get better answers to your questions if we can narrow it down : )

shelly

Old 06-03-2007, 09:11 PM

261 posts, read 1,666,874 times
Yes we need more information please. See the sticky at the top of the topic.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:32 PM

For the past twelve years, my work experience is network administration or system network support. And, currently finishing a master degrees in Technology Management.

As far what places to live, we'd love to find a place that is, family with kids, friendly and not too far from the main highways. From what I have read, a large percentage of jobs are located on the northeastern of VA. Am I correct?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2007, 09:39 PM

Northern Va. has a lot of jobs, it is centered around Washington DC. Traffic can be a killer. then there is the capital, Richmond. It intersects with 64 and 95. Great place to live. Good jobs, you could check into Capital One. there HQ is there. then there is Hampton Roads, in the southeast. A lot of jobs there, mostly centered around the military and government. You will have traffic and the beach. The cities are Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Hampton Newport News, Suffolk and more.

the western part of the state is very pretty, but not the major job opportunities that the east has.

shelly

Old 06-03-2007, 09:52 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,315,586 times
The three largest metro areas in Virginia have a lot of opportunity. All have unemployments rates at or below 3% (Actually all three are in the top 5 in the country for lowest unemployment). Northern Virginia is the largest, and close to DC and thus has the most jobs. Overall schools are good and the area is very diverse, but the cost of living is very high and traffic for the most part sucks. The Richmond area has over 1.2 million people, high quality of life, good schools in the counties, not a lot of traffic, and lots of white collar jobs (13 fortune 1000 HQ's). Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Va Brach area) has over 1.6 million people, good schools in many areas, a good quality of life, and probably a good amount of tech opportunity. Plus, you're close to the beach which is always nice. Traffic can be a pain in HR though, particularly with all the tunnels. IMO, all three are good choices and worth looking at. There's also other areas of the state which are doing well such as Roanoke and Charlottesville, but I've focused mainly on the 3 largest areas.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:10 PM

Guys,

Thank you for all this information. Thanks for you speediest service.

Shelly, I noticed that you are a real estate agent. Can you share what's the housing cost on the areas suggested? Thanks

Old 06-03-2007, 10:51 PM

35 posts, read 165,641 times
I lived in both the Northern VA area and the Hampton Roads area and loved them both. I would recommend Hampton Roads just because the housing prices aren't nearly as insane as Northern VA, although they are not cheap. (It hurts my heart to see a condo I owned in Hampton Roads in the mid to late 90s and bought for $70K is now listing for $150K.) Jobs in each area are pretty stable thanks to the large government presence in both areas and both have a lot of technology companies.

Here are some web sites that can help you with your decision. Both are run by the area MLS and are free with no need to register to use them.

Northern Virginia

HomesDatabase

Hampton Roads

- REIN

Old 06-04-2007, 04:55 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grblpwr View Post
I lived in both the Northern VA area and the Hampton Roads area and loved them both. I would recommend Hampton Roads just because the housing prices aren't nearly as insane as Northern VA, although they are not cheap. (It hurts my heart to see a condo I owned in Hampton Roads in the mid to late 90s and bought for $70K is now listing for $150K.) Jobs in each area are pretty stable thanks to the large government presence in both areas and both have a lot of technology companies.

Here are some web sites that can help you with your decision. Both are run by the area MLS and are free with no need to register to use them.

Northern Virginia

HomesDatabase

Hampton Roads

- REIN
Personally i think if you can get a job in Hampton Roads, go there and stay out of NoVA at all costs. I lived in Hampton/York County for 12 years before 2004 and have lived in Alexandria since 2004. I would not stay here another day if i had a choice, even though i live in a tolerable area (Alexandria's West End.) The traffic is horrible in NoVA, it isn't cake in HR either but the side streets aren't as filled as NoVA. Housing cost is defintely more sensible in Hampton Roads. Schools are better across the board in NoVA but somewhat overrated and you'd have to buy a one million dollar house to get into the best ones (Mclean, Great Falls, North Arlington) while you could do $325k and get into a great district (Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, York County.) NoVA is pretty much overrun with illegal immigrants and rising housing costs and yuppies. So stay out of NoVA.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 AM

Peteoak, you will find housing is reasonable in the richmod metro district. Hampton Roads went through some tremendous appreciation over the last 5 years, but part of it was catch up. The homes were very affordable, and now have peaked over the midline. That being said, you can still find decent homes with some of the very best schools in the virginia beach area.

if it were me, I would concentrate my job search to Richmond and south to Va. Beach. Although jobs are very plentiful in NOVA and many people like it, I find it to be very congested and housing can be out of reach.

Shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia