Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 11:14 PM

36 posts, read 104,918 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I need some advice...

My wife and I decided to move to Virginia from New Jersey where we lived all of our lives.. It is a transition time for us looking for a better place to raise our family. We are in our late 30's with a 2 year old.

I like the location of Fredericksburg it appears to be a busier area. I am from a VERY crowded state and it looks very mild to us from what we see.

What we are looing for is a SAFE area 4 or 5 bedroom home more than a half acre but not too much.. I am in the middle of changing careers and will be a High school teacher my wife is in marketing and most likely be working remote from home.

We are looking for our dream house and will be taking the biggest risk of our lives moving where we know no one but it is time we need to look out for the best interest of our daughter

The home can be anywhere from $300,000 -400,00 with property taxes close to 4,000 a year. I am not fond of HOA or gated communities but if the home is a fit then whatever.

We want to be clear of airports and military vehicles any advice or direction is appreciated..

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 AM

354 posts, read 855,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRABill View Post
Hello all, I need some advice...

My wife and I decided to move to Virginia from New Jersey where we lived all of our lives.. It is a transition time for us looking for a better place to raise our family. We are in our late 30's with a 2 year old.

I like the location of Fredericksburg it appears to be a busier area. I am from a VERY crowded state and it looks very mild to us from what we see.

What we are looing for is a SAFE area 4 or 5 bedroom home more than a half acre but not too much.. I am in the middle of changing careers and will be a High school teacher my wife is in marketing and most likely be working remote from home.

We are looking for our dream house and will be taking the biggest risk of our lives moving where we know no one but it is time we need to look out for the best interest of our daughter

The home can be anywhere from $300,000 -400,00 with property taxes close to 4,000 a year. I am not fond of HOA or gated communities but if the home is a fit then whatever.

We want to be clear of airports and military vehicles any advice or direction is appreciated..

Thank you in advance
I lived in Fredericksburg and really hated it. But since you are from a busy and expensive area you may not mind it. A lot of people from NOVA loved it there. It is really weird because some people are sooo nice there but there seemed liked there were way more jerks then anywhere else I ever lived.

Just realize that you probably won't be able to really take advantage of your proximity to DC or most of Northern Virginia. You will be shocked at the amount of congestion on 95 on route 1. It is by far the worst comute I have ever seen.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:37 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,495 times
Do some searches here for posts by myself and EricD. We have both posted quite a bit about the Fredericksburg area and I think you will find it helpful. After going through that let us know if you have any more specific questions.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:37 PM

ddmhughes thank you for the feedback on the commute I was looking for the central location between Richmond and DC just in case my wife had to make a few trips in for work...

onevthoki I will do as you suggested and research the older posts later tonight with the wife to learn more I appreciate the help nothing beats a local perspective..

Where I live compared to homes I researched thus far multiply your home prices by 250 % your property taxes by 500% and car insurance by 300% and you have New Jersey so to me Virginia is a bargin where I can take a pay cut slow donw from a 60+ hr work week and enjoy raising a family instead of burning the candle on both ends. Thank you again.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 24,850 times
I am from Fredericksburg, born and raised and I LOVE it! If you are coming from a highly congested area, then NOVA and DC would just be moving from one busy, overwhelming city to another. Fredericksburg goes from a beautiful, historical downtown area to places like Central Park, and South Point that have lots of restaurants and shopping within just a few miles. Then there are neighborhoods (Both HOA and non HOA) surrounding all of these central locations! If you read reviews of the public schools I think you will be very pleased. Literally you could have lunch at La Petit (a french bistro) in downtown for lunch, and only a few minutes away be in Central Park going to happy hour at a Sport's Bar, or meeting your family at Olive Garden for dinner. It has grown immensly over the past 10 -12 years and there is a lot to do. It is also a great place for families. Just recently there were tons of easter egg hunts for the kids. There is a huge Parks and Rec presence if you want to get your child into sports at some point, as well as an indoor field house for year round sports. Sports aren't your thing? There is no shortage of musicians teaching lessons of every instrument imaginable! It's definitely a family friendly area. And while the commute to NOVA is terrible up 95, there is the VRE, OR just travel during the off commuting hours. However, if you are going to be a teacher, then I would guess you will be looking for teaching positions in Fredericksburg, Stafford and Spotsylvania?

Moderator Cut

Good luck!!
Melissa

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-07-2010 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: real estate advertising

Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 AM

It looks Like it will be another 2 weeks before I get to visit ... I am anxious to see... I just got knocked off my Motorcycle by a careless driver and am a bit banged up.. This is what I get for living so close to Rutgers and Princeton Universities Kids drive like maniacs...
Sooner I move out of here to VA. the better.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:57 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Sorry to hear of your accident. Get better soon!

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I can relate to your move. My DW and I were born and raised on the Jersey Shore. We relocated to Spotsylvania (Fredericksburg area) in 1990 and lived in the area until 2002. A relocation took us to MD and later to NC.

Spotsy is a wonderful area to raise a family, especially when you'll enjoy the economical benefits of leaving NJ! True, the area is continuing to grow and develop, but the positives still outweigh the hassles.

You'll be close enough to civil war history, modern amenities, Richmond and DC for their culture and events, etc.

I hope you enjoy your move. I thought it was the best decision we made for our family!

Old 09-09-2019, 07:28 PM

65 posts, read 98,268 times
Default Curious NHRABill-did you ever move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRABill View Post
It looks Like it will be another 2 weeks before I get to visit ... I am anxious to see... I just got knocked off my Motorcycle by a careless driver and am a bit banged up.. This is what I get for living so close to Rutgers and Princeton Universities Kids drive like maniacs...
Sooner I move out of here to VA. the better.

I am wondering what happened to NHRABill ? Where did you move to and did you like it?

I'm already out of NJ-still trying to figure out where to plant my garden.

Lynn~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia