Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 12:09 PM

17 posts, read 60,964 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're looking for the retirement place . Anyway, we've been focusing towards TN, but we're also interested in VA & KY. They all have beautiful wooded areas, the cost for property is very reasonable ($1K-3K/acre). We like the mountains and the trees and good churches (Pentecostal). Looking for a place where retirees from TX aren't frowned upon. TN doesn't have state income tax and VA has a "personal property" tax. So, how does the actual cost of living compare between these 3 states ? Figuring we'll be retired and on a fixed income. Which state make more sense finacially? I've heard some folks like to live in TN and shop in VA or NC. Does anyone have any comments/info or preferances?

We're hoping to buy land within the next 12-18 months . We're wanting rural wooded land (50-100 acres) with small percentage pasture. Also seeking the proverbial spring fed pond and creek. We'd like to be within an hours drive of a "larger city" (e.g., Nashville, Knoxville, Rahleigh, Bowling Green, etc.). Does anyone know anything of the Lebanon & Abington areas? Is it anything like Crossville, TN ?

Well, I guess I've rambled on enough. Would love to hear other folks opinions!

Thanks!
TX2TN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 03:31 PM

213 posts, read 1,021,217 times
it is impossible to compare states - you need to compare exact areas - too many variables. where I live property taxes are 2/3 the cost less than a mile from me - since that is a different legal jurisdcition - or as much as 30% more 10 miles away.

you can compare GENERALIZATIONS, sure. such as is area X less expensive than area Y.

In general - the less the cost of housing and taxes the less you have in services OR location OR both - again, another genralization, but a good starting guideline.

fore retirement info much better resources than thios forum - check out AARp and the "places to live" publications.

sounds like you might like these areas in VA 1) south of smithfield towards NC and into the center of the State 2) north of gloucester - tappahnnock, mathews 3) SW area of the State

so many choices!!

Old 07-02-2007, 07:37 PM

17 posts, read 60,964 times
Smile Looking at Virginia

Williamsburgfan,

The areas north and east of Kingsport are where I'm potentially looking in Virginia. Also, near Lebanon. My knowledge of Virginia is pretty limited. One of my co-workers is planning to retire near Martinsville. Their daughter graduated from Virginia Tech. That's a little further east than I wanted to be, unless there were some definite benefits. I do understand that until I am actually comparing one town/county to another I won't have a clear answer. Right now, I just have more information to chew on. Thanks

TX2TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia