Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 04:58 PM

109 posts, read 611,663 times

Advertisements

Leaving LA to come to Northern VA would not be a smart move... IMHO. If you wanted to come to Virginia, go to a different area. LA and the Metro DC area are like one in the same. (ok, its a teeeny bit more expensive in LA) but there are great schools, traffic, good jobs, traffic, lots to do, traffic, did I mention the traffic? We have pollution too. And the congestion is getting more so every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 10:05 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,005,261 times
Default More on Virginia Beach

worldwidebridgette

I posted some comments about Virginia Beach on the thread below. Read it at the the bottom of page 4:

Thinking of moving to VA Beach area ( 1 2 3 4)

best wishes regarding your move.....Franco

Old 06-19-2007, 01:52 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,800,290 times
Northern Virginia won't offer the finer things like cultural arts, etc.

Richmond has great restaurants, fine art museums and galleries, great live music scene, hip areas like carytown, southern charm, hospitality, beauty, gracious living at an affordable price, less than 2 hours from the beach, less than 2 hours from the mountains, 2 hours from D.C. (if you must), and its just nice !

Did I mention its beautiful?

Old 06-19-2007, 09:06 AM

261 posts, read 1,667,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Northern Virginia won't offer the finer things like cultural arts, etc.
NoVA has access to a huge amount of arts and culture when you consider the fact that it is a suburb of DC. We have places like The Kennedy Center, Ford's Theater, etc, as well as Art Galleries, Museums, and plenty of live music from places like Wolf Trap, Nissan Pavillion, etc. We also have all of the professional sports teams located here.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:27 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
with all your criteria Richmond is probably your best bet. also, an alternative to VA beach is Hampton/NN, not too far from VA Beach but i wouldn't suggest commuting. All three cities have neighborhoods to avoid for b/c of crime so be careful with each one, (richmond around the projects, hampton the south side, Newport News the east and SE side and denbigh.)

Old 06-19-2007, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,696 times
Smile What part of virginia are you wanting to move to?

I use to live in Tazewell Virginia, and Bluefield Virginia, as far as colleges go I attended the National Business College and they have great colleges there. But as far as jobs goes not so many of those there in that section of town. It is mostly farmland there and coalmining. That is why when I graduated National Business College I moved to North Carolina to find a job. So I would not recommend moving to Bluefield or Tazewell not a whole lot going on there. I have been here in North Carolina for 7 years plan on moving to where I met my wonderful husband now we are planning on packing up and moving to tennessee soon.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 18,776 times
hi, we are thinking of relocating to bluefield from texas. we are looking for a small town that is peaceful. not alot going on is ok. we have 4 kids all under 11. my husband is self employed so that is not an issue. we are not wealthy so cost is a factor. just a middle class family. we love the outdoors. and is a major part of our life. if not inside bluefield then how is the outside or surrounding areas like. is this area senic. breathtaken views. try if you will to be open with your points of view. i read that you dont care for it anymore, i just need some idea as to what we are looking at. seeing that we are so far away and i is nit just a jot over there im asking for the kindness of others for help..your the only one that i have seen that has been around bluefield..
please help.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:50 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,800,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
NoVA has access to a huge amount of arts and culture when you consider the fact that it is a suburb of DC. We have places like The Kennedy Center, Ford's Theater, etc, as well as Art Galleries, Museums, and plenty of live music from places like Wolf Trap, Nissan Pavillion, etc. We also have all of the professional sports teams located here.
Its just a tad pedestrian for my tastes. I prefer more artistic areas like Richmond and Charlottesville.

But don't get me wrong, the Washington Redskins are great.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,414 times
Default What are the benefits to moving to the State of Virginia?

I am retired US Military (24 Years US Marine Corps GnySgt). I am presently living on the island of Puerto Rico. To be honest, this place SUCK's! There is absolutely NO LIFE WHATSOEVER on this ROCK! I am considering relocating to the state of Virginia. I remember in the mid 1980's I used to drive thru Virginia, while driving up to NYC, and returning to Camp Lejeune, NC. Can ANYONE give me some SOLID leads, on some safe respectable cities that I should consider looking for a home for me & my family. My family is; My wife, a 5 year old son, an 8 year old daughter, 2 Chihuahua's, an of course ME. We are looking for a 2 story home, 4 Bedrooms, 2 ½ / 3 bathrooms. Modern kitchen, large living room, 2 car garage, etc. Near reputable Public Charter, Private Schools. We have a $225,000 budget, but we have no idea of good safe cities in Virginia. Near an airport, Amtrak stations, a military base. Can ANYONE give me some reccomendations, and websites that I can search thru? I would really appreciate this.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,139,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humberto Rodriguez-Lopez View Post
I am retired US Military (24 Years US Marine Corps GnySgt). I am presently living on the island of Puerto Rico. To be honest, this place SUCK's! There is absolutely NO LIFE WHATSOEVER on this ROCK! I am considering relocating to the state of Virginia. I remember in the mid 1980's I used to drive thru Virginia, while driving up to NYC, and returning to Camp Lejeune, NC. Can ANYONE give me some SOLID leads, on some safe respectable cities that I should consider looking for a home for me & my family. My family is; My wife, a 5 year old son, an 8 year old daughter, 2 Chihuahua's, an of course ME. We are looking for a 2 story home, 4 Bedrooms, 2 ½ / 3 bathrooms. Modern kitchen, large living room, 2 car garage, etc. Near reputable Public Charter, Private Schools. We have a $225,000 budget, but we have no idea of good safe cities in Virginia. Near an airport, Amtrak stations, a military base. Can ANYONE give me some reccomendations, and websites that I can search thru? I would really appreciate this.
Most of the VA military bases are either near the DC area (which is way to expensive for your budget) or Hampton Roads. I would search there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia