Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 28,264 times

Advertisements

Well....there are many pros and cons living in a TOURIST town....beach life is nice... [moderator cut]

We do have tons of stuff to do here...and yes we are a military town, so with that said it is very trafficy. Over all its a nice area. As with any areas you have the good and the bad! Va. Beach is so huge you have several areas to choose from, and yes safe too. There is a Farmers Market located at the intersection of Princess Anne Road and DamnNeck... which is a very nice area. Let me know if I can be of assistance...

Lisa :-)

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-02-2007 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: No realtor advertising or trolling for prospects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,987 times
Default va beach

Have lived here on and off 12 years....crime just goes up daily...including murder...only been to the beach 6 times in 12 years...that's how much I dislike it...traffic is horrible..now for good things...property used to bigger for your buck but starts to feel like New York or Atlanta...some people dislike the military here ...myself I believe they help ....O well my thoughts...I won't be here once my contract moves....thank goodness

Old 01-06-2007, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 15,569 times
I am attending the virginia beach police academy in august 2007, my wife and i are just curious as to what the area is like. we are very blue collar with two children (11 and 12) and one on the way. I dont know anything about this area, so if anyone has any words of wisdom i would love to here them. thanks!

Old 01-14-2007, 07:26 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,467 times
Default living in Virginia Beach

If you're looking for a very conservative, religious, military town, then you won't have a problem living in Virginia Beach. We moved here from Florida five years ago and were shocked at the culture clash. The newspapers, local radio stations (minus NPR) and local tv stations are heavily influenced by the military and conservative base. If you lean toward the liberal/progressive slant, you'd be much better off living in Ghent (very close to downtown Norfolk). But as a whole, this area is not for independent or progressive thinkers. The region is very car-dependent and not friendly to walkers or bikers. Often some of the beaches in Virginia Beach are closed for 'mysterious' reasons during the summer due to 'unidentified' pollution. The tourist part of VB is tacky and uninviting to actual residents. It's rowdy and not peaceful or serene and that's why a lot of locals go down to the Outer Banks beaches in North Carolina for the weekends.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:44 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
whats conservative about it? Usually military families are used to living with diversity and have alot of Interracial families in them, so why would it not be independent minded?

Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 PM

260 posts, read 1,191,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellydance2290 View Post
My husband and I are originally from Florida and have been living about 30 mins outside of Atlanta for 6 years. We are both in our early 30s and don't have children yet, but will be starting a family in the next year or two. We really want to live closer to the beach but don't really want to move back to Florida. We are looking for a city that is within 30 mins or so to nice beaches, good job market, decent shopping, good restaurants and a variety of different ethnic foods, good schools (if we end up staying once we have kids), things to do on the weekends (festivals, arts, concerts, etc). I also need a Whole Foods, Trader Joes or a great farmers market nearby - I can't exist without one. While I realize the closer to the water you get, the higher the pricing I would like to be able to afford to buy a home after a year or so in the area - in the low to mid 200s, doesn't need to be big just in a safe area. Neither one of us likes to eat at chain restaurants, we prefer funky little locally owned places. Can anyone give us some advice on an area or if VA Beach might fit this description?
I would really think about relocating here. I have lived in Va bch for 12 yrs and crime has gotten worse by the day. You should look up our newspaper on line - virginia pilot and take a peek at whats going on in the area. We do have lots to do.. beach, williamsburg, kings dominion... though keep in mind you'd have to find locals beach or you'll be driving around looking for a parking space and sitting right on top of someone else. I don't even go to the beach during the season, just a little locals spot. As for your price range.. 200's sorry but you'll probably have to get a condo or townhome. I know prices are coming down here but to get a starter home in a safe area will run about 250's. I'm sorry to discourage you but just wanted to give you an honest opinion from a local - best of luck! We can't wait to leave here.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:17 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,467 times
There are a few reasons I say VB is conservative. First, the city keeps electing very conservative Republicans to city office as well as congressional office. They've elected Drake two terms in a row and she rubberstamps everything Bush proposes.
Secondly, Pat Robertson and his 'university' and tv station are located in VB, which leads to a saturation of evangelicals living in this area. When I moved here, one of the first questions out of people's mouths upon meeting me was "What church do you belong to?". People in this area are way too interested in other people's religious business. If you're a woman with children and work outside the home, you better come up with a clever defense to their words of apocolypse and damnation and doom. I've never before lived in a place where people so blatantly and unabashedly try to categorize you with your answer to this question. It really is creepy and very Stepford wife-like. Coming from FL I don't think I was ever asked what church did I go to upon first meeting someone new.
Thirdly, yes, a lot of people in the military are very open minded and demonstrate the 'live and let live' motto to life. However, there are a great deal of military individuals and families who are completely intolerant of someone who does not support the war or the president. And a lot of the military guys are misogynistic and power hungry sexist jerks. And we have military friends who also agree with us about the misogyny of many of the military guys.
So that sums up my 'VB is a conservative, religious, military town' post from before.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:25 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
I am originally from Fairfax, VA and moved down to Va Beach for a few years - before I headed out west (and now I am down south!)... but yes, it's very very military, very conservative, very right wing, and still kind of redneck to be honest!

Coming from the Northern Va area, with close proximity to DC - it was a massive culture shock.

It's very much a "beach town" and it (at least when I lived there) is dead at the ocean front during the winter, and way too packed and crazy in the summer. It's more a vacation spot, and not really a city with a beach. If you know what I mean. Locals don't go to the beach much because it's a waste of time.

I also agree with whomever said that the neighborhoods are spotty - one street is safe, and a few streets over - not so much.

I lived there single - I wouldn't want to bring children up there.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:48 PM

41 posts, read 164,200 times
someone asked...Do you really think that the military influence will be a huge shock?

I'm very grateful for our military and the outrageous job they have been doing that is helping ensure our freedoms

and someone commented....There is also a lot of competition from young military retirees who can manage with lower wages. This is very true and drives down the base salary for the entire area. Jobs for less than 50k aren't plentiful but around. Restaurant workers have a choice of places!

someone else said...The really good professional jobs tend to be in Northern VA. FACT! My husband commutes t-th from chesapeake to dc, 4 hrs on a good day, leaving here at 4am. (Not counting summer and the tourists coming in or through to the outer banks). a few times its taken as much as 6-8 hrs.

We rarely get snow but do have winter hot in the summer, I don;t know about flies and fleas the way someone said. We dont have that problem.

You dont mention a money amount, you might want to consider Williamsburg area. We personally are looking to get closer to DC, maybe an hour north of richmond. We love it here but the commute is wearing on him.

Good luck to you, feel free to email if I can help.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:57 PM

41 posts, read 164,200 times
My mistake, I do see you mention low 200s. Isnt going to buy much, and the market will dictate to you what you can buy, you wont be in the drivers seat!

Traffic is awful here, very unpredictible other than knowing it'll be heavy. Sometimes I think they dont use engineers when planning the roads. A lot of transplanted ppl that seem to think VA rules of the road are different than where they came from. Very poor drivers. Mention snow and its every man for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area