Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the National Harbor in PG County?
I love it! It is fantastic!!! 10 17.54%
It's OK, and should get better as the economy recovers! 18 31.58%
It could be better...a whole LOT better. 22 38.60%
They should rename it "National Disaster". 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 AM

520 posts, read 1,006,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Ajsmith, you and I will have to agree to disagree on ways to handle the "riff-raff", bad actors, thugs, foolish-acting folks, criminals, whatever anyone wants to call them. I just have a few points here:

1. Pentagon City -- The foolish-acting folks had indeed stopped me from shopping at Pentagon City back in the day. They must have stopped other people from shopping there too, because the mall made some changes, and it is better today for those changes. That's my point -- you either have to not attract the bad actors the first place, or you will have to make changes to decrease their numbers later.
I agree. Example. The NH used to have a nightclub in the Gaylord. I heard a fight broke out and took a good while to break up. Now, it is not really a club and only hotel guests have access to it.

Quote:
2. Just because you build near the riff-raff doesn't mean they will come or that they will tear a place down, IF you don't include attractions that interest them and you discourage them. Including stores that they may not care about is one way to discourage their presence. Admittedly, whether such stores are high or mid-range, chain or independent, quirky or mainstream, I don't know if it matters so much. But a sneaker store (just as an example, lol) may be attractive to them whereas a Birkenstock store may not. My point in this whole discussion is that with the number of sneakers stores out there, I am loathe to desire yet another in NH. I don't think the NH vision is yet another mainstream mall that has to be all things to all people. It's a tourist and destination attraction. So, I may not go there every week, I will go if I want special tea, and I will walk around, and perhaps buy something else, go to an art store and probably get something to eat. I won't go for just tea.
Somewhat agree. Unfortunately, for my demographic, that sucks IF the builder intended it to be a tourist destination (which they did not). I think maybe we would need more clarification from Peterson Co. and an official statement, but the tourist destination is what people here are assuming and not a fact; especially since they did not bill it to be that during the community meetings in our area.

You are right, we would have to agree to disagree and that is fine. But, then that leaves a catch 22. You put in a whole rack of stores that don't attract "riff raff", well what kind of stores are those? And, I guarantee you those stores are going to cross over into the civilized middle-class' desires as well. So, that leaves trying to attract probably some white, upper-middle to upper-class whites in their late 30s that live in VA, gentrified DC or MoCo/Anne Arundel who do not frequent PG for shopping and who have certain perceptions of the area. Now, we are back to square one of my whole argument...marketing 101.

Quote:
3. I didn't notice any riff-raff the times I have visited NH...So either they are there and not acting up (which is fine), and they are not attracted to the place, despite its proximity.
No, I haven't either. But, that could be for various reasons which we do not know (lack of desirable stores, good security, lack of access, etc.).

Quote:
4. Despite the recent tone of this discussion, it's still a good one. You do have to give credit to the devotees of NH. It's nice to be devoted to something positive going on in PG.

And I personally don't think Ann Taylor attracts thugs, lol. But the Foot Locker mention probably got some people excited, because sneaker and "gear" stores can attract people who want to act up.
I love that they are devoted to NH and to PG. But, I also give credit to people who know what they are talking about (have been to NH, know the area, etc.) and/or who do not read one post out of 101 and run with it as some on here have clearly done. This is not aimed at you.

Just because you love something does not mean you can't admit its flaws. As I have mentioned, I love the way NH looks; it's fantastic. I also love the way some DC buildings look, too. I love the way the DC arboretum and San Francisco Japanese Tea Gardens look, too. But, I need to shop. If they built it for looks, they get an "A", for shopping, they get an "F" - for now. If you were selling your house in Bowie and you asked your wife and kids does the house look marketable and they said, "it's the best thing since sliced bread. HORRAY!" and 3 prospective buyers came in and told you it's overpriced for the neighborhood, your kitchen and baths are wack and you over-improved for the area, who are you going to listen to - your wife and kids who live there and are blinded by their love for the place, or 3 prospective buyers who have 3 independent, and consistent, critiques?

As for Foot Locker, Addidas, or whatever type of sports shoe store you want to name, I guess I'm the only 30-something middle-class, and self-proclaimed "civilized" person (white, black, yellow or brown) who loves a pair of tennis shoes. Or, for that matter, likes electronics, or clothes from Macy's. Wow, I did not realize how ghetto I was. I have not had any problems shopping at Tysons, Pentagon City, G'town, Mazza Gallery, North Hills and South Point malls (Raleigh/Durham, NC) and all of these places have shoe stores and a Macy's (or Macy's type of store). I guess I am poorer than I thought. Maybe it's because I grew up in DC and have yet to adopt the luxury of suburban lifestyles (fine teas & Birkenstock). Now, I'm offended @ all of these "riff raff" comments, because I just realized that I am one of them Y'all been taking shots @ me and I didn't even know it! Someone, save me!!!

Bowian, please don't read anything negative out of this. I'm am just glad it's Thursday and I am in a fabulous mood, today, for some reason or another. Gosh, as soon as I can step away from this computer for a lunch break, I am going up to Iverson mall to see what new pair of tennis shoes I can get; these old shoes are killing me.

In serious, we can agree to disagree and it's all good. This would be like a roundtable discussion of how to keep out "riff raff". There's no majic bullet (where's Lee Harvey Oswald when you need him). Oh, well. But, I see where you are going with it. NOTE: I tried to keep it short, but dang-on-it, liliblu is right, I talk too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:05 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
As for Foot Locker, Addidas, or whatever type of sports shoe store you want to name, I guess I'm the only 30-something middle-class, and self-proclaimed "civilized" person (white, black, yellow or brown) who loves a pair of tennis shoes. Or, for that matter, likes electronics, or clothes from Macy's. Wow, I did not realize how ghetto I was. I have not had any problems shopping at Tysons, Pentagon City, G'town, Mazza Gallery, North Hills and South Point malls (Raleigh/Durham, NC) and all of these places have shoe stores and a Macy's (or Macy's type of store). I guess I am poorer than I thought. Maybe it's because I grew up in DC and have yet to adopt the luxury of suburban lifestyles (fine teas & Birkenstock). Now, I'm offended @ all of these "riff raff" comments, because I just realized that I am one of them Y'all been taking shots @ me and I didn't even know it! Someone, save me!!!

Bowian, please don't read anything negative out of this. I'm am just glad it's Thursday and I am in a fabulous mood, today, for some reason or another. Gosh, as soon as I can step away from this computer for a lunch break, I am going up to Iverson mall to see what new pair of tennis shoes I can get; these old shoes are killing me.
Uh-oh, someone will be calling you "hood rich" next! Just messing with you.

Really, I don't care who goes to NH, as long as they behave themselves and the place continues to improve. And I hope that FW gets the better retail that it deserves.

I visited Harborplace in Baltimore last week. I noticed the Hooters restaurant there. NH had better not!!

Old 10-29-2010, 02:55 PM

24 posts, read 53,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
But I don't think the number of home invasions -- whatever it is -- is higher than the number of break-ins and home burglaries in Fort Washington.

I don't know anything about crime in Fort Washington, I mention it because that's the area we were talking about as having more crime than one might think for an area with McMansions and celebrities/sports figures with homes there.

I may have been the one to actually say 'upscale for FW, but that was only my adjective for discussion after someone said it had McMansions and celebs with homes there. That's what I think of an area described as such..I think of it as being upscale. Maybe it's not, I don't know.

To me, upscale is McLean, Potomac, Chevy Chase and Glen Echo -- and it may be ignorant to say since I admit I don't know the area -- but Fort Washington is not in that category.

McLean, Potomac, Chevy Chase, Glen Echo, Fort Washington -- which one of those DOESN'T FIT?

Maybe, maybe not....but over the past few months, there have been lots of news reports about break-ins in upscale neighborhoods in Fairfax and Prince William counties. I haven't heard of that same level of bad activity in Ft Washington (unless it's just not making the news).

Some people may lump some Ft. Washington neighboorhoods (particularly Tantallon and other neighborhoods on the water) in with the areas you mentioned. I guess it depends on what does "upscale" really mean?

Old 10-29-2010, 06:39 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,328 times
The Fort Washington mailing address covers a huge territory. It includes several 1960s apartment project communities such as along Palmer Road and Brinkley Road, as well as the "Prophecy" townhomes on lower Saint Barnabas Road. Fort Washington also includes the distinguished country-club community of Tantallon and the large homes of Potomac Knolls and Battersea, as well as very modest 1950s rambler homes such as Fort Washington Forest / Forest Knolls.

The reason why some areas near the Beltway have Fort Washington zip codes (instead of having Oxon Hill or Temple Hills zip codes like you would expect) is that back when the U.S. Postal Service opened the first Fort Washington post office about 1980 or so, and created "Fort Washington" as a new postal designation, they thought mail-sorting would be easier if they assigned the name "Fort Washington" to cover the former zip-20022 portion of Oxon Hill, and left the former zip-20021 portion as still Oxon Hill. Ever since that time, newcomers have been confused at why some neighborhoods up north by the Beltway are considered in "Fort Washington" when they are nowhere near the Fort -- and that is the reason.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:56 AM

Hey, all. Trust me, I am not trying to keep this going, but my co-worker just came over and was talking to me and this subject came up (by her doing, to my surprise).

To keep it brief, she told me she made a visit a couple of weeks ago. She basically was saying the same thing meatkins and I have been saying. She is in her 40s, middle-class, lives in PG county.

She sent me this link. I'm not saying I agree, or disagree, with any quotes in this link. I am just passing this information along so that visitors of this thread who have an opinion on the subject can see what others are saying about NH. Please, as you read the feedback, notice the poster's name, location and picture. Read it 3 times, it's not long. Be well.

Here is the link: National Harbor - National Harbor, MD

Also, please note what people are saying - OR NOT SAYING - about the retail stores.

Last edited by ajsmith365; 11-01-2010 at 08:22 AM..

Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
I notice that a lot of people from Fairfax County is hating on the National Harbor....

Old 11-01-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
I notice that a lot of people from Fairfax County is hating on the National Harbor....
I agree. But, you are focusing on the wrong thing. What I am trying to get US (people who live in PG, more specifically Ft. Wash/Oxon Hill) to realize is the content. Some of this feedback is coming from people outside of the DMV (according to their location status).

If it is primarily a destination point, then it is fantastic and will be better when/if Disney comes. However, a destination spot does nothing for locals in terms of service. You MAY benefit from property appreciation or tax revenue (and these are questionable with tax breaks corporations get and with incompetent representatives abusing the revenue), but in terms of service for locals there is nothing. Largo residents are not jumping for joy at the convenience of having a theme park destination in their backyards nor are Kissimmee residents. Fact is, when you want to go to a tourist destination, you go out of state. When I go on vacation, I'm out of the state/country, not 5-10 minutes from my home. My point is, give us something outstanding that the locals can utilize on a routine basis. The "yelp" thread had some very good, constructive criticism. Biased...maybe. But, you have to admit, if this is how they feel, how do WE as PG RESIDENTS expect to tout it as a great achievement if only WE feel that way. That is the point. They said the same in that thread that people here, mainly me, have complained about (parking, service, lack of shopping, store selection, accessibility). Yet, all people in this thread hear is "they hating". We have to move past getting ticked off when someone criticizes us and learn to take their feedback and look at it objectively, just as I saw your post in that other thread immediately after you posted here bad-mouthing me and calling me a "character" and, basically, a "VA lover/PG hater". It's not about that. Look at my posts (#60, #66 and #68). I got love for the Harbor, but I want us residents to be able to get some usage out of it as well. I hope that you can see that, $mk8795. Because if you were really concerned about Ft Washington/Oxon Hill and PG county residents, you would want them to build the best harbor for our area possible.

But, being as though you all see nothing but me hating on the county and not trying to add value, I guess maybe I should move somewhere else. But, I feel as though if I pay > $40,000 in taxes per year, I should enjoy the Harbor, not just go to a convention there, sleep in the hotels, or walk around and admire the beautiful architecture.

$mk8795, you are partially right, some of their comments may be hate driven. But, if we do not attract their dollars nor build something to make the area attractive to just PG residents, then how can we expect the county, or Ft Wash/Oxon Hill/Nat'l Harbor area to move forward?

Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Ehrlich, a Republican, used to be the Governor of MD; thus, putting PG county under Republican control due to the fact that the governor decides the overall direction of the state and allotment of funds.
Yadda, Yadda, Yadda!!!!!!!!

Was Robert Ehrlich the Governor before 2003?????

Was Robert Ehrlich the Governor After 2007?????

Is Robert Ehrlich the Governor NOW?????????????????

Was there any Republican County Executives/Commissioners and Republican Majority County Council Members Running PG County between 1970 and Today?????????

Quote:
PG County may not have been directly RUN by Republican Delegates, but it definitely has been controlled by incompetent Democrats.

But, this subject is veering off the topic of this thread.
Sure because the Main Topic is Bad Talking Prince Georges County and the National Harbor.............

Old 11-06-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Yadda, Yadda, Yadda!!!!!!!!

Was Robert Ehrlich the Governor before 2003?????

Was Robert Ehrlich the Governor After 2007?????

Is Robert Ehrlich the Governor NOW?????????????????

Was there any Republican County Executives/Commissioners and Republican Majority County Council Members Running PG County between 1970 and Today?????????

Sure because the Main Topic is Bad Talking Prince Georges County and the National Harbor.............
Again, another stimulating conversation with you...sigh.

The main topic may have been slightly harsh in delivery, but true. It is criticism, but constructive. Obviously, you are very loyal to PG county and National Harbor and only want to hear outstanding things. So, I'll give you some "horaays" so you can be satisfied.

1) The National Harbor looks like it's never been stepped on.
2) They are doing an outstanding job at getting every dollar they can with those parking fees and by not allowing bike docs; thus, forcing you to drive or walk 5 miles into the complex.
3) The Gaylord is impressive and doing a great job at attracting conventions to PG county
4) It is a lovely place to sight-see and take pictures.
5) The Mandarin, Rosa Mexicana and Cadillac Ranch are value-added restaurants
6) Ice and the Christmas festival are wonderful. I especially love the Gaylord when they drop the snow inside the hotel around 9-ish during the Xmas season.
7) They transformed a dead piece of real estate into a POTENTIALLY fantastic waterfront.

Again, you only hear the negatives. I have given NH props for the things they have done right and for the things they will do in the future. Unfortunately, I do not live in the future and God has not promised me tomorrow, so I have to live for today. But, you get very dismissive when you hear 1 bad thing about PG or National Harbor. That's no way to live. You have to take the bad with the good and improve upon your flaws. But, why should you care; you don't work for NH - or do you?

All of your posts are a bunch of one-liners about people player hating on PG. No substance, and definitely no disposition of comments to justify position. PG class...at its finest!

Old 11-11-2010, 07:36 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Since there are now three threads on National Harbor, please make sure to confine remarks to one thread only as others will be duplicates.

For this thread, opinions that National Harbor is not successful are appropriate.

For general opinions on National Harbor (not the extremes of success/failure), please see: //www.city-data.com/forum/washi...l#post16620148

For opinions that National Harbor is very successful, please see: //www.city-data.com/forum/washi...as-been-4.html

Were it not for the polls in the recent threads that duplicate the intent of this thread, all three would be merged into one comprehensive thread. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do that and leave the polls intact.

Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland