Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the National Harbor in PG County?
I love it! It is fantastic!!! 10 17.54%
It's OK, and should get better as the economy recovers! 18 31.58%
It could be better...a whole LOT better. 22 38.60%
They should rename it "National Disaster". 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 AM

7,084 posts, read 9,594,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
Without regional bus service being enhanced to DC from outser areas this will equal one big traffic DISASTER And if the commuter buses would improve then they will endup as sardine cans literally

They should build bus depots, not just bus stops. Drop everyone off at one stop. In addition, have satelite parking garages away from the harbor that would help keep the traffic on the perimeter. Leave the inner parking garages for residences and employees. Charge people $20 if they REALLY want to park at the Harbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 10:05 AM

692 posts, read 1,733,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Seems like he has a point because I just asked the NoVA forum if any of them would come to shop over here and so far no takers.
I laughed when I saw this. But I also laughed at the person patting themselves on the back and taking credit for the outlet mall.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,440,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
I laughed when I saw this. But I also laughed at the person patting themselves on the back and taking credit for the outlet mall.
I know, right? Like the developer just started planning the outlet in late 2010 (or even early 2010). Something that big has been in the works for a while, in this case probably since National Harbor itself was in the early planning stages.

As for the NOVA non-takers, they think they have everything already in NOVA, and to a certain extent, there is a loyalty to hometown attractions (and a competition between the NOVA and PG). I wouldn't expect NOVA dwellers to really take to National Harbor or any other big thing in the vicinity. Kind of like bending over and asking for a kick. Furthermore, I am not into WWNVD (what would Northern Virginia do?) type questions. No hating -- NOVA is a nice place, but there are some differences between there and PG.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,007,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
As for the NOVA non-takers, they think they have everything already in NOVA, and to a certain extent, there is a loyalty to hometown attractions (and a competition between the NOVA and PG). I wouldn't expect NOVA dwellers to really take to National Harbor or any other big thing in the vicinity. Kind of like bending over and asking for a kick. Furthermore, I am not into WWNVD (what would Northern Virginia do?) type questions. No hating -- NOVA is a nice place, but there are some differences between there and PG.
I can understand why you would have that feeling, but I thought it was an important question to ask because one of the main reasons for building the mall is to expand the tax base. If we are going to ever get more money for our school system and other things we have to get money coming in from outside this county. That's why I thought it was important to know how they feel.

More money = Hopefully Lower Taxes & More Police & Better Schools

Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I know, right? Like the developer just started planning the outlet in late 2010 (or even early 2010). Something that big has been in the works for a while, in this case probably since National Harbor itself was in the early planning stages.

Great post. I'm going to borrow WWNVD.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I can understand why you would have that feeling, but I thought it was an important question to ask because one of the main reasons for building the mall is to expand the tax base. If we are going to ever get more money for our school system and other things we have to get money coming in from outside this county. That's why I thought it was important to know how they feel.

I don't think you can get that question answered on City-Data. There are already people from Virginia visiting National Harbor. They dine at the restaurants and shop in some of the stores. But if you asked people in NOVA forums you'd think everyone in Virginia was allergic to Prince Gerorge's county.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM

7,084 posts, read 9,594,740 times
Thank God there is nothing I need in NoVA. I have everything I need in MontCo and PG.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,440,349 times
Quote:

I hear you. Maybe people from other parts of Maryland will be more receptive to National Harbor. But I do still see a diverse crowd there.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Thank God there is nothing I need in NoVA. I have everything I need in MontCo and PG.
I refuse to spend weekend after weekend on those horrible Virginia roads like some of my friends do. It's crazy. I can get all the basics and much of what I want in Maryland. Why waste time and gas just to say you shopped in ______ store or mall? If certain stores want my business they need to open stores closer to where I live. It looks like some of them are actually doing that. I say it's about time.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,124,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
But if you asked people in NOVA forums you'd think everyone in Virginia was allergic to Prince Gerorge's county.
Nah, it's just too much of a bother for us to get there, when we can get all the same things right in our own neighborhoods. Just like there aren't many Marylanders going to Dulles Town Center. You can basically find everything you need on both sides of the Potomac, so there's no need to drive to another state just to go shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland