Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:32 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
To be fair, the GOP hasn't done enough to attract black people to the party. All I here is how we are "slaves to the Democratic Plantation..." yet Republicans have done nothing to change that except showcase their special "token(s)" at the convention or make him/her the leader of the party whenever it's convenient to quell rumors of racism from Liberals on the far-left or prove to America that they're diverse.

I personally think the party's message on economics would work well with middle and upper middle class blacks in PG County.
They both have the same effects on black people just different ways about doing it. Democrats are the same party that long ago supported blacks in slavery, ironically they still institutionalize many black people by giving them 'hope' by relying on them to solve all their problems, and they do not encourage advancement or encouraging prosperity. Republicans have shown that they simply do not care about black people. They do little to try to understand the issues that go on in the black community.

The problems with black people, especially in this county is that there are so many that are so fixated on one party that they do not take the time to consider who they are actually voting for. There are honestly some Republicans that actually connect with black people well, but they will forever be ignored because of the stigma of party lines. It's honestly just a lazy mentality. How many of these people actually know the candidates' stance and their track records? Party affiliation aside, you should have more reasons why you should or should not vote for certain people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I hear you and I think there is truth to that, but I also think people don't do the research on other candidates. Let's be honest, people vote for Donna Edwards because she is well known, but really when you look at the elections and the credentials of the people who have been running against her, why are the elections so lopsided? Is she really that good of a candidate or is this a matter of her being the most well known?
Brand loyalty plays a part. Which is why some Senators spend decades in office. For example, people know Edwards, they have seen her in their communities, on TV, in the paper. They feel comfortable with her. She has a track record. That's a pretty big uphill battle for someone new who has to first get people to know who they are. And forget it if it's your first time in politics. People will say, well, what has this person done compared to Edwards? And for most challengers, that's a daunting task to run against. It will take Edwards running for something else before someone else can take her seat. I guess this is a case for shorter term limits in the Senate.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:22 PM

460 posts, read 1,018,145 times
Why can't we take away party affiliations completely? No one belongs to a party... No dems, no repubs, no independents, just people....their ideas, their effort, hard work, history, ability to connect, etc.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times
Quite telling that attention shifted from the "what does MD think of voter ID laws" discussion to scathing criticsm of black voting in PG county, LOL! Nah, no voter supression attempts here, move along!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:51 PM

575 posts, read 554,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Quite telling that attention shifted from the "what does MD think of voter ID laws" discussion to scathing criticsm of black voting in PG county, LOL! Nah, no voter supression attempts here, move along!
Stop complaining!

Old 09-21-2012, 03:57 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
It's a different thread!!!! But even then this was created a long time ago. Noticed I never said who people should vote for! All I said was people need to do their research first, how is that related to voter suppression? If you like people supporting people just because they are a certain color or in a certain party than that's REAL voter suppression.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:26 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
To be fair, the GOP hasn't done enough to attract black people to the party. All I here is how we are "slaves to the Democratic Plantation..." yet Republicans have done nothing to change that except showcase their special "token(s)" at the convention or make him/her the leader of the party whenever it's convenient to quell rumors of racism from Liberals on the far-left or prove to America that they're diverse.

I personally think the party's message on economics would work well with middle and upper middle class blacks in PG County.
Doubtful even many upper middle class blacks are deeply invested in the notion of racial solidarity. Also many middle class blacks derive their living from the federal government (postal workers, military, various agencies etc.) so a message of smaller government would not appeal to them.

I will say this socially speaking though I do find that many middle class Blacks can have downright hostile views towards lower income Blacks.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:27 AM

200 posts, read 293,279 times
Quote:

The class of people you suggest should realize the attraction without a welcome wagon coming around; all they need do is tune in and listen as it's not told in any form of secret "white" code language. It's not hard and they aren't shunned. They won't be "token" either. Even you are brainwashed.

Why do you suggest PGC middle and upper middle class blacks as examples? Couldn't the same be said for the entire country?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 AM

575 posts, read 554,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreater View Post
The class of people you suggest should realize the attraction without a welcome wagon coming around; all they need do is tune in and listen as it's not told in any form of secret "white" code language. It's not hard and they aren't shunned. They won't be "token" either. Even you are brainwashed.

Why do you suggest PGC middle and upper middle class blacks as examples? Couldn't the same be said for the entire country?
Sorry, but I'm not brainwashed considering I vote for Republicans all the time. THe reason I said PGC was because this thread is about PG Country and the economic message would best resonate with that segment of the population as opposed to the working class and those on welfare/gov't assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland