Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times

Advertisements

I just happened to go over to the Gazette a few moments ago and I read one of the Opinion articles that was talking about a particular candidate (not) doing their job. Here is a snippet of what I read:

Quote:
We turned out in droves, willing and ready to believe the hype. And then we eagerly waited with anticipation to cast our votes.

Many of us proudly left those voting booths feeling like we had voted for our superhero. As I recalled, everywhere I looked, there were posters of a young woman, dressed in a suit with neatly done hair and flawless makeup, and inscribed on the poster were the words “Vote For Karen Toles.” Surely, I thought to myself, she looks professional and competent, and since I cannot run for a County Council seat at this point, why not vote for her?
I'm sorry but I keep hearing this far too often in this county. People are getting voted for because they look good, or that they say all the right things, or that they look like them. I believe this mentality is killing this county in so many ways. We have people like this woman who are blindly voting for candidates without any consideration of their track record, their stances on important political issues, or at least an idea of what plans they have to fix the issues within our community.

To look at these candidates as our 'superheroes' is unhealthy and unrealistic. There is no way possible for these candidates to please every citizen but at the same time we should at least expect the ones that we voted for to have some type of game plan. Am I the only one that sees this as THE major problem here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,688 times
Come on bro- Politics has always been about selling the best package- American's as a whole are basically sheep, look at how the church is able to become a multi-billion dollar industry, selling dreams, while being blindly followed by the masses-

This is not a Prince George's County thing but an American thing, now the question you may want to ask is:

How do you get an equal balance of more than one party in the county, I am Independent, so I can't even vote in the primary or general, as the only canidate will be democrat-

Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Come on bro- Politics has always been about selling the best package- American's as a whole are basically sheep, look at how the church is able to become a multi-billion dollar industry, selling dreams, while being blindly followed by the masses-

This is not a Prince George's County thing but an American thing, now the question you may want to ask is:

How do you get an equal balance of more than one party in the county, I am Independent, so I can't even vote in the primary or general, as the only canidate will be democrat-
I do agree that America can suffer from the same issue, but unlike America, as you pointed out, we don't have many options. At least across the country, people who vote blindly have more options to choose, but here, it's the same people, same government, same results.

I am also an independent and I agree that voting in the primaries is an issue. There should be a rule that if there is no other parties represented in a race, then all party affiliations should be able to vote especially considering that the primary elections general decides positions in this county.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,298,847 times
You aren't going to see an open primary system in Maryland any time soon. It would threaten the power of the Democratic Party, so sadly if you want to vote in the election that "matters" in a one-party county you will have to register as a Democrat.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:36 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
I went to a coffee talk with Rep. Donna Edwards a few months ago at Largo and frankly I was startled at the turnout. I'd say about 30 people showed which is more than I expected. Although she mentioned her next stop was in Silver Spring and that the crowd would be larger.

Anyway the folks, all Black, seemed engaged and up to date on current events. So there are people who look a little deeper into their candidates even in PG.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:56 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,461 times
I hate Donna Edwards for personal reasons.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I hate Donna Edwards for personal reasons.
Hate is such a strong word. Please, if you can, tell us what your problem is with her.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:13 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,461 times
Well i dont really hate her but she rubbed me the wrong way in a interaction I had with her when she was campaigning a few years back.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:01 PM

575 posts, read 554,226 times
You know, I've noticed that we never like to hold our politicians accountable whenever they do wrong. I'm not saying we all do it, but it seems like the black community just seems to sweep these things under the rug. I don't know if it's because we want to protect our "own" or if it's because we don't want to challenge the status quo but it really needs to change.

Sorry if thread necromancy is forbidden.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:27 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,587 times
So.... How come we can't do away with "political parties"? How'd they come about anyway.... That way, if no one running was associated with a particular party, people would either a) be forced to actually listen to each candidates ideology and plans, b) base a decision off of completely the "sell package" whether it be true or not, or c) just make a guess......

I think it would create some more people researching and understanding candidates ideas and goals better..... But let's hear all the reasons why that's not possible since I know I'm going to get them.... Haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland