Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orioles or Nats?
Orioles 10 41.67%
Nats 14 58.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

All it takes is for the team to compete and this market it large enough to instantly produce a large following for baseball. I think there are plenty of potential fans in DC, they just need a reason to get excited about the team and Nats park needs to be the place to be and that can happen pretty fast in any market, let alone a market with 6 million people to pull from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 07:28 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
I favor the Orioles as I grew up with them. I do not remember the Senators. I was happy to see the Nats arrive though.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:27 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
Why "support" either one? They're businesses. Entertainment business. Happen to be doing business in Baltimore and Washington, respectively, at the moment. The Nationals used to do business in Montreal. Neither team moved o its local due to having mainly players form the area or representing chracteristics of the city. They can be entertaining to watch, for sure. We lived in Silver Spring, Maryland for a while, before the Nationals arrived. Went to a couple of Orioles games. Enjoyed it. Also went to theatres, concerts, etc. And go a couple of Caps games in Washington. We based our choice on what sports team to see based on the particular game, the loction and comfort of the stadium. Teams do come and go. If the money is good enough elsewhere and/or they can't get enough money from their present location (and sometimes that means public money), they move. Remember the Senators? And Colts? I'd feel more "allegiance" to a university team that is rooted, for the long haul, in the location near where I live. That said, I did quite enjoy seeing the Prince William Cannons minor league baseball team once, and heard the Frederick Keys are great fun to watch. I miss Garfinkels department store. Don't miss Hechinger's.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 AM

345 posts, read 976,388 times
Even though they've stunk up the joint for the past 14 seasons and are run by baseball's equivelant of Mr. Magoo, Orioles all the way.

I never identified with any of Washington's teams, even though I grew up closer to DC than Baltimore. I never even bothered to root for the Redskins even when they were the only NFL team in the area. To me, Washington is Washington, while Baltimore is Maryland. And I consider myself a native Marylander, first and foremost.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
Even though they've stunk up the joint for the past 14 seasons and are run by baseball's equivelant of Mr. Magoo, Orioles all the way.

I never identified with any of Washington's teams, even though I grew up closer to DC than Baltimore. I never even bothered to root for the Redskins even when they were the only NFL team in the area. To me, Washington is Washington, while Baltimore is Maryland. And I consider myself a native Marylander, first and foremost.
i agree

Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post

Washington is Washington but as a DMV'er and Marylander, Baltimore is in MD but doesnt represent my part of Maryland

Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
If you're on the Maryland side of the DMV metro...do you get both stations from both metros? i.e. a choice of which team to follow?

Old 11-04-2011, 01:25 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If you're on the Maryland side of the DMV metro...do you get both stations from both metros? i.e. a choice of which team to follow?
depends on where you live. in some counties you can pick up both.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:03 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Nats fan. I never cared about baseball and really don't still, so I never grew that affinity for the Orioles that a lot of Marylanders have. I spent most of my time in/around DC growing up, so when DC got the Nats I sort of just became a Nats fan.

If I ever end up living in/near Baltimore or other parts of Maryland I might end up supporting the Os more, not to mention the Ravens.

Tiger Beer, I live in College Park and I only get the DC area stations. I think folks up in Laurel can get either, same in Annapolis if I'm not mistaken. Interestingly, when I watch shows on Hulu they show the logo for the Baltimore affiliates rather than the DC affiliates (so for instance, Modern Family shows the WMAR logo instead of the WJLA logo).

Old 11-05-2011, 05:54 PM

342 posts, read 912,208 times
im not really into baseball but the orioles are like the Indianapolis Colts,

NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY SUCK PEOPLE WILL STILL LOVE THEM BECAUSE THEY USED TO BE GOOD!!!

PEYTON MANNING - CAL RIPKEN JR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland