Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 03:56 PM

599 posts, read 693,341 times

Advertisements

Montgomery County failing to create jobs - Washington Business Journal

Traffic is horrific in the morning on 270 and at night . I just came back to the area after four years and i can't get over the BOOM in population, all the jobs located in VA or DC, all the new housing developments, but no new job creation. Why must i travel out of my way for a decent paying job each day for a total of 2 hours or more, this is just absurd. I use to love Montgomery County but now i hate it, it's way overcrowded, Maryland's governor SUCKS ASS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 03:22 AM

70 posts, read 152,152 times
What kind of "decent paying job" were you looking for? I think there has been plenty of job growth in MoCo but most of the jobs were probably taken by all the people that moved in while you were gone for four years.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 AM

503 posts, read 807,322 times
It's all going to NoVA because the cost of doing business in Maryland is too steep.

All you have to do is watch all of the traffic streaming from MD to NoVA in the morning and then in reverse in the afternoon to understand that MD's anti-business climate is hurting the state.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:14 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
It's all going to NoVA because the cost of doing business in Maryland is too steep.

All you have to do is watch all of the traffic streaming from MD to NoVA in the morning and then in reverse in the afternoon to understand that MD's anti-business climate is hurting the state.
That 2nd paragraph is inaccurate. Traffic on the American Legion bridge is equally bad in both directions, and just might be worse heading towards NOVA in the PM. It sure looks worse when I'm heading home in the PM and also when I've got to go back to NOVA again while the traffic is still bad. Even if it's not actually worse (I don't have data) it's pretty much just as bad as the traffic heading the other way. It may have been as you describe, at one time, but not for the past few years that I've been going that way.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:32 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
I just got a really good job in MoCo. So much for there being no jobs in the area.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:44 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post

People have said that for years, including when I lived in the area from 1983-2005 (retired elsewhere, far from the area, due to wife's job). Yet there's still building in Montgomery County and, as noted, the traffic goes both ways, not just Maryland to Virginia (commuting). When we were house-hunting in 2000, we decided on Montgomery County over Arlington/Alexandria due to both prices and less urban sprawl (Mo Co has plenty of that, but No Va was even worse).

Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 AM

19 posts, read 43,985 times
Washington Post just tackled this question
Closing the Montgomery-Fairfax gap - The Washington Post

Montgomery is having an increasingly anti-business stance as well, as illustrated with their recent big box bill travesty, which was also ravaged by the Washington Post.
Montgomery’s big-box bill sends the wrong signal to retailers - The Washington Post

Old 11-16-2011, 03:08 PM

599 posts, read 693,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigatou View Post
Washington Post just tackled this question
Closing the Montgomery-Fairfax gap - The Washington Post

Montgomery is having an increasingly anti-business stance as well, as illustrated with their recent big box bill travesty, which was also ravaged by the Washington Post.
Montgomery’s big-box bill sends the wrong signal to retailers - The Washington Post

Well what a coincidence i actually work in Fairfax.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 AM

396 posts, read 1,105,369 times
The Gazette had an article as well:
Gazette.Net: Montgomery flailing in job creation
"Councilman Marc Elrich (D-At large) of Takoma Park said the county does not have a plan for attracting high-end jobs and businesses. He said the primary investment the county has made in economic development has been to Westfield Group"

Old 11-19-2011, 07:38 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
I wish we could give O'Malley and his Montgomery county to VA or DC. Both Clueless when it comes to luring and growing business. I'd hate to see what the economy would look like without the endless pot of Gov't money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland