Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:34 PM

321 posts, read 1,126,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Oxon Hill is the next area that will get develope as well because its really close to the NAtional Harbor
I hope that does happen because the area really needs it. Not to sound cynical, but I've learned not to put much faith into that type of thing until I actually see it.

Example- FedEx Field was supposed to "revitalize" Landover. It's been 10 years and all that's happened is that they demolished the Crescent Square apts on 75th ave and they finally got around to tearing down Landover Mall. Kentland/Palmer Park/Seat Pleasant are all still ****holes

PS- the new Woodmore Town Center that's being built to replace Landover Mall isn't in Landover, it's further down 202 in the Largo/Lake Arbor/Mitchellville area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:06 PM

144 posts, read 631,111 times
Woodmore Town Center is not replacing Landover Mall.

That is an additional development within the county directly opposite to landover mall on the other side of the beltway.

Landover mall and surrounding vicinity will undergo a major revitalization of its own.

I do agree Kentland/Palmer Park and vicinity remains an issue for the county

Old 10-01-2007, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,904 times
It's hard to say what is the "best" city is for you, because there are so many variables to consider. And, each person has his or her own preferences. I've lived in the DC/MD/VA area all of my life. In PG County, I've lived in Mount Rainier, Hyattsville, Takoma Park, Greenbelt, and Bowie, to name a few. Of those areas, I actually prefer the Greenbelt/Bowie because of their quiet nieghborhoods, proximity to the various beltways, and other conveniences. When we lived in Bowie, I loved it. The only downside was the schools and the property taxes. I really dis not feel that I was getting much from my investment. And, a lot of areas closer to DC (forestville, oxon hill, etc.) are seeing a huge amount of people relocating out of the city because of it's high cost of living. And, when you try to cram a lot of people into a small area (that's unprepared to deal with the population), you are ultimately going to have problems. We finally decided to move to Howard County, where we had less property taxes and far better schools and amenities. The only downside to our area now is the lack of diversity and the fact that it is so far away from my job (DC). But, you have to weigh your pros and cons.

In all, there are plenty of nice areas within PG County. Your best bet is to talk to people who have actually lived in these areas and that are able to give you an honest, unbiased opinion. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 47,885 times
I agree with the above...
I have lived in PG for about 17 years... a rule of thumb use to be the most northeastern (north laurel) you are the better you will be... so the more southwestern (oxon hill) is the worst... but now its has all changed... oxon hill is really building up and landover had lots of money invested into it...
PG is now the wealthiest minority county in the Nation and the largest county in the state

Old 10-02-2007, 11:51 PM

30 posts, read 154,210 times
Lightbulb ummmmmm.....

I must say that from exits 24 to 2 ( from top to bottom) of 495 are hot spots. To be completely honest with you, it would not be in your best interest, if you have children to move there. The public school system is terrible (teachers molesting students, doing drugs with students after hours, poor test scores, high aids/std rates, very minimal parent involvement, the list goes on). The cost of living in Prince Georges County is astronomical. The county within the limits that I mentioned is crime ridden in part because of youth being neglected by their parents who are too busy working their "good government jobs" to spend time with their children. When the parents are not too busy working, they are too tired to make sure that their children are making progress in school, to help their kids with their homework, or to even ask if their child has homework. In turn the kids are basically raising themselves and wreaking havoc on the area. The parents who are attentive to their children are making an effort, however, there are quite a few of those parents who raise their kids to act like they live in Buckingham Palace instead of the area they actually live in, which happens to be crime ridden. In turn, the neglected kids who raise themselves and feel unloved experience feelings of jealousy, resentment, animosity, and most times volatile feelings toward the kids who have been raised to consciously or sub-consciously look down on the less privileged kids. This is a MAJOR cause of many of the crimes that keep the southern most parts of Prince Georges County plagued with crime and high aids/std rates.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:42 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,303,077 times
sweet heart you need to research before you speak. As you can tell by my result of the 2007 Maryland State Assesment preoficiency. Pg county VS Montgomery county. As you can tell by the result Pg county score higher then Montgomery county 3rd graders. So i guess Montgomery county parents are lazy and not helping these poor 3rd graders with their homework. Here is the website to see for yourself.2007 Maryland Report Card

2007 MSA Proficiency Levels - Grade 3 - Reading
Percent

Advanced Proficient Basic

Montgomery County 26.1 basic 58.8 Proficient 15.1 Advanced

Maryland State 20.2 basic 60.3 Proficient 19.5 Advanced This is the average test scores of the entire state of maryland.

Prince George county:
30.5 basic 59.2 Proficient 10.3 Advanced

Old 10-03-2007, 08:28 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,557,508 times
(teachers molesting students, doing drugs with students after hours, poor test scores, high aids/std rates, very minimal parent involvement, the list goes on).

Interesting. I haven't heard that PG county was the hotbed of drug addicted, child molesting, disease spreading teachers. Once in a while you have an isolated incident of teacher being illegally inappropriate but you make it sound like its a prerequisite to getting hired in the PG county school system. I have a 16-year old and 18-year old and both have survived the schools. One is in the Sci-Tech program at Roosevelt and is doing well thanks to caring teachers throughout her school years and my son graduated with honers. My children also grew up in a single parent household where I worked full-time at a "good government" contractor "job." I think alot of the problems are with the parents and students involvement or lack thereof, but don't assume every kid that goes through PG County schools ends up being a blithering idiot with no home training and that all the schools are bad.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:56 AM

30 posts, read 154,210 times
Iscalder and kjg1963,

As alumni of a Prince Georges County public school as recent as 6 years and as the sister of a current PG county high school student, I know first hand that what I spoke of in my previous post is true to form in MANY of the schools there, so in no way shape or form am I making any assumptions about the matter, nor am I generalizing. As a non-blithering idiot, with ample home training I will agree that not ALL of the PG county schools are bad, however, the incidents of teachers molesting students, doing drugs with students after hours, poor test scores, high aids/std rates, minimal parental involvement are not limited to PG county schools, but are also not isolated incidents. Parents naturally don't know as much inside info. about the schools as the students and/or alumni who actually attend/ed them.

And you Iscalder:

1. I am pretty much certain that by the tone of your reply to my post that you ASSumed that since my location says Oklahoma that I couldn't possibly know much about the PG county area and the schools in it, but let this be a lesson to you to do YOUR research before YOU speak.

2. That's great that you were able to locate some source of statistical data, but 3rd grade though? Please come a little better than that and with this subject matter you really should cite various sources on various grade levels or stick to the high school level so that we can see how much justice PG county schools are doing for youth who have reading levels of: 30.5 basic 59.2 Proficient 10.3 Advanced .

3. If you are satisfied with 30.5 basic 59.2 Proficient 10.3 Advanced reading levels then I am truly saddened by that.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:08 AM

If you notice I post the website so you and everyone on this forum can visit the website and compare the county test scores amoung each other.
As you can tell the comparison for Pg county 3rd grade and Montgomery county 3rd grade test scores. As you can tell by my numbers Pg county 3rd graders score higher then Montgomoery county 3rd graders. I am not going to post all school grade level test results on this forum so instead I post the website. Now if you notice the website why not visit it instead of meantioning your household and your parents skills. I think what you mention about parents are really about your parents and you are just blasting every parents in Pg county because if your parents did a good job raising you in Pg county schools you would have had different opionions. Since you went to Pg county school and live in Pg county I am guess your parents were one of the horrible parents you mention above.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:16 AM

MRS VMC
I think you might have a problem with reading numbers as you can tell the middle number with is for the average test scores for the entire state of Maryland. the first test results is for Montgomery county and the last is for Pg county. If you think Pg county test scores are low then what is you opinion for Montgoemry county because Pg county 3rd graders out score Montgomery county 3rd graders.

2007 MSA Proficiency Levels - Grade 3 - Reading
Percent

Advanced Proficient Basic

Montgomery County 26.1 basic 58.8 Proficient 15.1 Advanced

Maryland State 20.2 basic 60.3 Proficient 19.5 Advanced This is the average test scores of the entire state of maryland.

Prince George county:
30.5 basic 59.2 Proficient 10.3 Advanced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland