Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:25 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreater View Post
The best liberal democrat is a wealthy white man. The KKK was led by democrats. I don't know if republicans are calling out blacks as welfare cheats in particular; the media puts those words in their mouths and many believe what they hear/read. The MSM is really good at that. Conservatives are in favor of reducing the size of government and stopping the bloodletting in the form of borrowing money to keep floating what exists now. I hate to say it but the federal government has too many agencies and employs too many people to staff them.
A lot of those agencies should be on the state level. A 10% cut across the board would be a good start. Would it affect this area? Yes, but think of the people who move here from all over the USA for those positions that could be filled by existing citizens of the area. Given that, the people who currently live here would still work.
Bigot is going a bit far as it can be applied to democrats as well. If people ever looked to what conservative values are they may find they agree with them.
Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness anyone?
Actually, once I was talking to an educated, well-to-do acquaintance from my church, and she told me she was voting Republican, and I asked why, and she said "I don't want my tax money going to some old black guy swinging on his porch!" After I picked my jaw up from the floor, I told her "That's sort of racist..." and then she got VERY huffy and said "I'm not a racist, I know lots of black professionals!"

The conversation went downhill from there.

The irony here is that this person is from NORTH Africa, and just happens to be very light-skinned. I lost a lot of respect for her after that incident and I did not want to be friends with her, when I had previously thought she seemed so lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 AM

200 posts, read 293,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Actually, once I was talking to an educated, well-to-do acquaintance from my church, and she told me she was voting Republican, and I asked why, and she said "I don't want my tax money going to some old black guy swinging on his porch!" After I picked my jaw up from the floor, I told her "That's sort of racist..." and then she got VERY huffy and said "I'm not a racist, I know lots of black professionals!"

The irony here is that this person is from NORTH Africa, and just happens to be very light-skinned. I lost a lot of respect for her after that incident and I did not want to be friends with her, when I had previously thought she seemed so lovely.
I actually meant on the big political level. You could go to your local grocery store, poll people there and come away with s many stories as most people will echo what they have been told by others be they friends or the MSM.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreater View Post
I actually meant on the big political level. You could go to your local grocery store, poll people there and come away with s many stories as most people will echo what they have been told by others be they friends or the MSM.
On the big political level, there's a lot of coded language coming from Republicans. It's not terribly difficult to notice. Think Sarah Palin's "REAL Americans" schtick or when they say things like "taking [our] America back," (back from whom exactly?) or Mitt Romney's multiple commercials showing hard-working white people and claiming the Obama administration "gutted" welfare reform (it didn't). There's also that constant undercurrent of hostility towards Hispanics, like the Arizona law, which basically legitimized racial profiling. Or the hostility towards Muslims and gays. If you're going to be hostile to one minority group, it's going to be hard to be palatable to other minority groups. A lot of it comes from more fringe Republicans like Michelle Bachman- but she is a Congresswoman and she had enough clout to plausibly run for president. There's also the inherent racism in questioning a black president's legitimacy vis a vis his birth certificate, and the comment from Dinesh D'Souza (I think) that Obama is trying to live out his father's Kenyan anti-colonial dreams. I'll admit there's some nuance to some of these comments, but I was recognizing this kind of stuff as a teenager, so it's not terribly complicated, and it's certainly not the doing of the msm.

On the individual level, I've met more than enough Republicans with racist sentiments to recognize that they feel that this is something they can legitimately express under the guise of their political platform.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
On the big political level, there's a lot of coded language coming from Republicans. It's not terribly difficult to notice. Think Sarah Palin's "REAL Americans" schtick or when they say things like "taking [our] America back," (back from whom exactly?) or Mitt Romney's multiple commercials showing hard-working white people and claiming the Obama administration "gutted" welfare reform (it didn't). There's also that constant undercurrent of hostility towards Hispanics, like the Arizona law, which basically legitimized racial profiling. Or the hostility towards Muslims and gays. If you're going to be hostile to one minority group, it's going to be hard to be palatable to other minority groups. A lot of it comes from more fringe Republicans like Michelle Bachman- but she is a Congresswoman and she had enough clout to plausibly run for president. There's also the inherent racism in questioning a black president's legitimacy vis a vis his birth certificate, and the comment from Dinesh D'Souza (I think) that Obama is trying to live out his father's Kenyan anti-colonial dreams. I'll admit there's some nuance to some of these comments, but I was recognizing this kind of stuff as a teenager, so it's not terribly complicated, and it's certainly not the doing of the msm.

On the individual level, I've met more than enough Republicans with racist sentiments to recognize that they feel that this is something they can legitimately express under the guise of their political platform.
You want to see it your way and there are no options.
Have you ever read the Constitution in earnest? "Taking back our country" isn't coded language.
What do you see wrong with the political scene? Big government(DEM and REP) has jumped into bed with big business and they grease each others palms at the expense of we, the people. The federal reserve, along with the government, has steered the country into a dumpster. We need to take the country back in both of those instances. Is race involved in doing such? I don't think so.
I have no idea what you mean by "hard working white people" and gutting welfare reform. How do you tie them together?
As far as AZ and immigration - you need to look at the laws of the countries illegals come from. You can't go to Mexico and get away with what Hispanics do here. If you were to camp out in a Home Depot parking lot waiting for a job down there they would most likely put you in jail. You won't have a timely court date and you might not get a phone call. You may get sent home after some time or be held for ransom. The same is true for most other countries around the world. We are the last bastion of freedom/liberty in the world. As far as profiling - I have driven around the border down in TX and have been stopped at checkpoints by the border patrol a few times. I am white and have blue eyes/light brown hair. There was no profiling at all as every car was stopped to see who the occupants were. My mother got a laugh out of it when with me once. Was I put out or was the border patrol doing their duty?
Gays don't bother me but they don't need civil rights to be gay just as I don't need them to be straight. I think the topic of marriage for them would be as messy as for straight people because divorce rates are super high and I don't think one's sexual preference would right that.
Muslims have an agenda and you can find all you want to know about it by doing research. It is more than a religion - it is their form of government as they base their way of life on what the Koran says. We, in this country, are infidels and they see us an inferior and should be eradicated for not being Muslims. Think what you want but I don't want to live under Sharia law. They have civil wars among themselves for the very reason.
It's funny you bring up the MSM because it is they are who is responsible for most of the negativity towards any conservative thinking.
You are looking for racism in everything and your post says so.

Read the Constitution and tell us what you think.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 PM

@motoreater- what do you mean I'm looking for racism? You expressed the idea that the msm is just making up the Republican hostility towards minorities, and I gave you a bunch of examples that suggest otherwise. One by one you can make up excuses for them, but in the aggregate they form a very clear picture.

And I know it is blasphemous, but reading the constitution "in earnest" is actually not that useful. It's a brief, old, ambiguous document. That's why we have so many nutty people whining and crying about how everything is "unconstitutional" when they clearly know nothing about the law. It's similar to people who claim things are against the Bible when they obviously haven't read that either. There's a tremendous amount of jurisprudence out of the Supreme Court that gives a much better idea of *how* we actually use the constitution to make laws. Now, if someone on this board would cite a Supreme Court case against something they're complaining about, I would consider them well-informed.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:40 PM

575 posts, read 554,489 times
Liberal Democrats love taxes. Nuff said.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
@motoreater- what do you mean I'm looking for racism? You expressed the idea that the msm is just making up the Republican hostility towards minorities, and I gave you a bunch of examples that suggest otherwise. One by one you can make up excuses for them, but in the aggregate they form a very clear picture.

And I know it is blasphemous, but reading the constitution "in earnest" is actually not that useful. It's a brief, old, ambiguous document. That's why we have so many nutty people whining and crying about how everything is "unconstitutional" when they clearly know nothing about the law. It's similar to people who claim things are against the Bible when they obviously haven't read that either. There's a tremendous amount of jurisprudence out of the Supreme Court that gives a much better idea of *how* we actually use the constitution to make laws. Now, if someone on this board would cite a Supreme Court case against something they're complaining about, I would consider them well-informed.
All I mentioned about the MSM is they are negative towards conservatives, I never mentioned race and if you read what I wrote a million times you will never find your wording in it. You are wanting to pull a race card.

As far as the Constitution - are you an American citizen or a communist in hiding? That brief, old ambiguous document is the guidelines for the most successful form of government to date. You apparently don't know anything about it if you can call anyone nutty or go on about how someone might think something is unconstitutional. Lots of what our government does these days was not laid out in the Constitution. The Federal Reserve, the Patriot act, NDAA, Obamacare and so many other undertakings by our government are unconstitutional and we, the people don't hold their feet to the fire to answer for them.
Where do you get your civil rights? All Americans have them as afforded by the Constitution. Ever read the 10th amendment? I suggest you become familiar with it and learn where it fits in.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:30 AM

513 posts, read 961,748 times
Quote:

You said the person is light skinned, meaning black. So a black is racist towards other blacks? LMAO

Everyone can recall an encounter with someone who is racist both black and white. I own 5 investment properties in MD/VA/CA and was shocked at how much money Section 8 minorities receive for not working and spreading their legs. This is fact, nothing racial. If you drive though baltimore during the day you will see large groups of men not working and hanging out their doorstep.

Your friend could have worded it better, but essentially what she is saying that she doesnt want her hard earned money to go to individuals who do not work hard and have no desire to work.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzyroyster View Post
They also conflate being African American with being Liberal. I know I am an African American and quite liberal. Many many African Americans that vote Democratic are not liberal in the sense that Republicans and conservatives believe. Believe me I know. Unfortunately I have heard many opinions and statements coming from fellow African Americans that hurt my liberal ears. Many Blacks that vote for Democrats only do so because Republicans disrespect them by calling Black people welfare cheats, slackers, and losers every four years to appeal to the bigots in their current base. If the Republicans ever wise up and learn that you can't insult and disrespect people and then expect them to vote for you they would cut into the African American and Hispanic voting blocks.
Very true which means at the end of the day gay marriage is doomed to failure in the state. I keep seeing polls that how increasing support among Blacks for gay marriage but I've yet to meet one in person, lol.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
You said the person is light skinned, meaning black. So a black is racist towards other blacks? LMAO

Everyone can recall an encounter with someone who is racist both black and white. I own 5 investment properties in MD/VA/CA and was shocked at how much money Section 8 minorities receive for not working and spreading their legs. This is fact, nothing racial. If you drive though baltimore during the day you will see large groups of men not working and hanging out their doorstep.

Your friend could have worded it better, but essentially what she is saying that she doesnt want her hard earned money to go to individuals who do not work hard and have no desire to work.
This is why as a black man as I get older I find myself becoming more conservative. It started in my 20s when I had to wait tables to put myself through school. I found that Black customers (by no means all) tended to be rude, entitled and most importantly didn't tip. However all this did was snap me out of my black nationalist phase during my teenage years.

My movement to full fledge GOP occured during business school I decided to do some volunteer tax prep. This is when I became exposed to the wonders of the Earned Income Tax Credit. All one has to do evidently is have a couple kids preferably be unmarried work a couple weeks out of the year and presto a nice check from Uncle Sam for 8-10K lump sum. For the ones with drug dealing boyfriends or even ones with legitimate jobs they make out like bandits.

Section 8 needs to be eliminated. I hope Romney wins and defunds HUD that'll be a great day for America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland