Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

O' Malley originally set the number at $100K for a family. According to yesterday's Post the Senate is doing some pushback on that number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 04:04 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,217 times
Why don't they just raise fines? I don't want to leave anytime soon but the government really needs to get their head examined. The only place I'd ever want to leave to is VA or CA with a decent job opportunity, but that won't ever be in the long-term (not VA though) because of the communities I participate here in MD.

Last edited by rsh56; 03-05-2012 at 04:13 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Why don't they just raise fines? Goodness, the gov needs to realize that taxes isn't going to do any good.

Fines are too unpredictable. Any governmental unit that balances its budt using fines is in trouble. Besides, the gap that has to be closed is around $1B, you can't raise fines high enough to cover that.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:01 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,884,217 times
Could be worse, but across the state there are lots of middle/working class families as this is not going well with them.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:02 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,021 times
Alternatively, they can cut programs, but what should they cut?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Alternatively, they can cut programs, but what should they cut?
Exactly, what should be cut. A lot of counties and cities have scaled back public services to the bone so that may not be an option. I do think that they should make some hard choices on some of the projects that they are trying to implement.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
If you have any tips on how to secure this kind of arrangement, feel free to share with the group. My husband tried to find a job where my parents live and was unsuccessful for a year, we came here, and he found a job in 2 weeks with the same set of skills!

That's just it. My wife and I were looking to move to Florida. But the job market is horrible down there. My company just merged with a company who has it's headquarters in Miami. And my father in-law's new girlfriend has an empty house in Miami. Hmmmmm. I think the stars are aligning.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
That's just it. My wife and I were looking to move to Florida. But the job market is horrible down there. My company just merged with a company who has it's headquarters in Miami. And my father in-law's new girlfriend has an empty house in Miami. Hmmmmm. I think the stars are aligning.
I am in the same situation. I would love to move out of the area. Either down south or in the midwest but there are no jobs that would support my fixed expenses. .

Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 AM

207 posts, read 1,034,549 times
Quote:
If you have any tips on how to secure this kind of arrangement, feel free to share with the group. My husband tried to find a job where my parents live and was unsuccessful for a year, we came here, and he found a job in 2 weeks with the same set of skills!
My wife and I simply asked our employers if they would allow us to telework full-time from out of state. I guess we were valuable enough that they said yes (and we work for different companies). Don't be afraid to ask! You might be surprised. But, of course, it's good to have a Plan-B if possible.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I remember watching a 60 minutes segment that was about folks who were homeless with kids in the "new economy". Anyway they featured a family that moved from DC to Florida and the guy couldn't get a job so they ended up homeless. I was like you're moving from the area with the strongest job market in the region to the weakest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland