Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:01 PM

48 posts, read 80,378 times

Advertisements

This summer, I'll be moving to MD(working over in North Laurel), and was trying to figure some options for places to live. I'm not looking for much, just a 1 bed/1 bath apartment for $1100 or less/month in a safe area. I already know not to look at PG, any of the apts along Castle Blvd. in Silver Spring, or any of the apts off Tamar Drive in Columbia.

So with all that in mind, what are some reasonable and safe options in Silver Spring, Columbia, or anywhere on the US 29 corridor between those points? Dring's Ranch at Briggs Chaney, Harpers Forest Apartments in Columbia, and Suburban Hill Apartments in Silver Spring are 3 complexes that seem to peek my interest(I plan on taking a weekend to go up and visit apts before making a decision), but what other complexes can I add onto my list? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jobworkinger; 03-31-2012 at 11:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 09:55 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
I wouldn't recommend Suburban Hill apartments. It is too close to Langley Park and multiple other apartment complexes that are less than desirable.

Why not look in Laurel? Although most of Laurel is in PG, the historic area has many nice small apartment buildings with reasonable rents. Also, it is a fairly safe and diverse area.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 AM

Now, would those apts in Laurel be along Route 1? I really don't know much about that area but if you know of any safe complexes along there, I'm all for names.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobworkinger View Post
Now, would those apts in Laurel be along Route 1? I really don't know much about that area but if you know of any safe complexes along there, I'm all for names.
I knew this discusssion also occurred several months ago. It mentioned The Pointe at Laurel Lakes, Emerson at Cherry Lane, Spring House and Patunxent Place. I'll leave it to you to find current prices and availablility, but the discussion was here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ng-people.html

Old 04-01-2012, 11:16 AM

Emerson at Cherry Lane seems to have gone down since a recent management change, according to apartmentratings.com. Let me look at the other places though and see what I find.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:00 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,021 times
Remember to take apartmentratings.com with a grain of salt. Sometimes people just log on to those sites to whine, or because they've had a problem that has not been addressed. My apartment had some awful reviews and I didn't have any of the problems that people wrote about (and I've been in my building for 3 years). Unless it's something that seems to have complete consensus I tend to ignore a lot of the reviews.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:58 PM

Now question, would it be worth considering looking at apartments in Gaithersburg if I'll be working in Skaggsville? Or would the commute be too much of a pain(ICC or surface streets regardless)?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobworkinger View Post
Now question, would it be worth considering looking at apartments in Gaithersburg if I'll be working in Skaggsville? Or would the commute be too much of a pain(ICC or surface streets regardless)?
Possibly, but I think you would be better off closer to Laurel/Scaggsville. Is there a very good reason to look at Gaithersburg? Otherwise the commute is a pain, and the cost of the ICC would mount up.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 PM

At this point, it's just about finding that "best combination" of cost/safety/commute. A great resource I've been using with any of the perspective apartments I've looked at is https://www.crimereports.com/

Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 AM

Any opinions on White Oak Towers off 29? I checked the crime maps and this complex seems to be clear of anything. Plus, the commute would be perfect to and from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland