Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 02:11 PM

61 posts, read 364,689 times

Advertisements

try calvert county its a nice county its not to rural but its not city but you wont be that far off from washington only a 35-45 min drive the county is growing and is very nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 PM

71 posts, read 337,490 times
Brandywine and Ft. Washington??? Those are holes. They only thing that could make them better is lots of gasoline and a match.

When you talk to a realtor, try checking out a couple homes in each County. You could live in Montgomery County (good one) and go against traffic for a commute.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:44 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo202 View Post
Brandywine and Ft. Washington??? Those are holes. They only thing that could make them better is lots of gasoline and a match.

When you talk to a realtor, try checking out a couple homes in each County. You could live in Montgomery County (good one) and go against traffic for a commute.
May I ask how you came to have such a negative view of Brandywine and Fort Washinton?

Fort Washington, MD is about 15-20 minutes fron Andrews Air Force Base. There are also some areas in Clinton that may fit what you're looking for.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,378 times
Wink LIVING IN MARYLAND---- The back and Forth SAGA

After skimming through many posts, I realize how very opinionated people are when it comes to moving...."TO THAT NEIGHBORHOOD"....safe...etc.
No matter what house it is, it is always location.location.location. I am the eldest daughter of a Navy Captain (deceased) of six children. We moved, moved, and moved forever. I went to 13 schools--- and all over the US and overseas-Japan.. The main experience that is a positive one is--- being able to fit in almost anywhere. The major thread to me is "is this Home At Last"! I have listened to so many remarks that in essence go like this "My friend and I went to the same H.S"...."I've known him for 30 years"...."I remember when we were in grade school".... and the gist being--- I always wanted to HAVE THAT, being able to tell someone that I have anyone in my life that I grew up with. I was born in California, moved to Hawaii where my sister was born, and from there we lived in the North East; NY,Pa.CT, MA, RI, DC, and finally MD.
I went to three different High schools and ended up graduating from Arundel H.S. A consistent thread during these years---- living side by side with people from who knows where---- Remembering how my Mother chastised her mother (former grandmother, she is A RACIST,RACIST, AND I WILL NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH HER) for being rude to her invited guests--- black being her Biggest Hate. My mother stated that if she didn't respect her guests, that she is no longer welcome there, she must show courtesy and civility no matter who we had in our home. I never forgot that. I didn't even know that people discriminated against black people--- I was overseas, and various other places. Not once, did I hear less than "everyone is the same......we are individuals..... and isn't it wonderful that people are different!". I have lived in PG county, and was one of the 1st White single women who attended Bowie State College, now U. I have the warmest memories of living with my roommates, and my sister and I climbing in and out of the dorm windows.('cause they had curfews back in the olden days). I married a black man, and in PG county----- oh, dear me...
I experienced first hand what it is like to be pulled over and then it all started. The police officer asked if I was age, meanwhile my boyfriend(then) was being thrown against the car, three cop cars beside us, and my bf was on crutches, the cop kicked the car saying "what a piece of junk". Then they arrested him for a NON paid parking ticket--- would you believe it? And, the took him to the police station in hand cuffs. What they didn't know is that E. always kept RECEIPTS OF EVERYTHING", which of course he would have given a copy, but we weren't planning on being harassed. Then, the incident report has that his race was white. He sent in the receipt, and never a word of acknowledgment. Yeah, maybe that was back in the late 60's to early 70's., but I wouldn't live there ever again.
After we got married, we chose to live in Columbia--- purposefully because of our daughter who was born at Howard Co. General. I can honestly say that it was a very culturally mixed area, no one looked out of place, we didn't get "those looks".... and my daughter grew up with a very diverse set of friends---- she married a Jewish man, and I can't wait to have a grandchild--- Just think; (I am 1/2 Polish), her Dad is 1/2 West Indian and 1/2 Irish and Indian---- with Jewish--- we can't wait (believe me I HAVE BEEN WAITING, hmm). The major reasons people form opinions that are unjust,. I think is because they don't take the time to know people , because it they did....there would be less anger. And I worked for the Housing Authority of Baltimore----- got a job offer from Howard County.... won a "city owned property" (the lottery means you got picked to apply for financing) and homestead. Not a fear in the world--- I can do anything.
The one thing I did notice--- people didn't bring big grocery bags from a super market/ or at least on my street. But, if you do something out of fear , you will be more of a target. My main regret about living in Columbia is that it became a community of the "haves" and the "have nots". I can't stand it. I didn't live (nor was my daughter brought up to be) that way. I could care less about how much money people have. That still bothers me, that people treat poor people with disdain. I worked for Habitat for Humanity for two years. I lived in Portland Maine---- and moved back last year---- because my only daughter/adult child said she wanted to have grandchildren soon. I moved back to Randallstown, NOT Columbia--- the home that my daughter grew up is now worth nearly $1 mil., and one day we drove by and it was gone. A couple purchased it, said it was outdated (all brick and built before Columbia came), and wanted a different style of home. It is quite symbolic------- I have been, in a way... searching for "my real forever home", and my daughter's childhood home is gone... We are deeply saddened. I don't think my feeling of sadness will ever go away. I couldn't even afford to buy back that home when I moved back to MD.
I have experienced living in areas that most people don't in a lifetime. I have lived in black neighborhoods, with a black family...... and very diverse neighborhoods. I actually don't like to be in an all white setting at all--- it feels empty, and makes me wonder why these people are all white. Last year, my daughter became pregnant. I went with her to the first prenatal visit. The nurse , as they usually do, is asking all sorts of family questions, who had what, etc. Then she point blank asked my daughter what race is she! (and she is black)---- not once but 3 x-- my daughter refused to answer and finally snapped "human". We were appalled.....I for one, sign up for each box, and try to mix it up at times--- well, I won't subscribe to having a person's identity be known primarily by race. When I talk to someone, I never say the person is Black, I always say "medium complexion", "dark", very light......and most white people don't even have a clue.
Should I have moved back to Md. I did this because MY only daughter, my family is the most important thing to me in life. I absolutely do not like Md.- I moved away from the busy busy style of life---- commuting 2 hours in rush hour, getting home and the wee hours. It seems like people are angry alot of the time, trying to get over, rude, disrespectful, whatever happened to "thank you","excuse me" when appropriate. In Maine, --- I lived there for 6 years. It was the first place that ever felt like-- "I am home at last". The quiet, the consideration given to others, no crime (only less than 30 murders in a whole year for all of Maine). I would forget to lock my door all the time. The genuineness is what really mattered. There was alot of cultural activities--- actually a Cultural center, where people met and did stuff, and bragged about being some nationality or another. I had friends that (just because they didn't know me for 9999 years) liked me for ME and wherever I have been. No back ups, (the most backups happen when people are trying to "get into" Maine for the summer. The worst is having to sit for 2 lights because people are so thoughtful--- they let everybody in, and it doesn't irritate most people. I loved my home, the friends, activities, and "the laid back style" of Maine. I would live there forever. My daughter is all I have...... and she is the BEST. I am proud to say that she is no an ASA. So, all of you guys who want to know about where to move, and what is good-----even the richest of homes, and wealthiest people do not compare to someone who is genuine at heart. They are not interested in flaunting... they are who they are. I feel like I have lived everywhere.
Good luck --- Sorry for the LONG post, but I get kind of carried away.
DJG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland