Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 04:22 PM

100 posts, read 154,717 times

Advertisements

December is bring Bethesda residents (and Bethesda workers!) a host of new dining options.
This week alone, Kraze Burgers and Smashburger will be opening. Panera opened last week. Roof and Cheesecake Factory are coming later this month!

Here are the links to updates on the openings I saw on the Bethesda News site that have photos of each new place:

Robert Dyer @ Bethesda Row: KRAZE BURGERS OPENING DECEMBER 12 AT WESTFIELD MONTGOMERY MALL IN BETHESDA (PHOTOS)

Robert Dyer @ Bethesda Row: CHEESECAKE FACTORY TO OPEN DECEMBER 19 IN BETHESDA (PHOTOS)

Robert Dyer @ Bethesda Row: ROOF BETHESDA LIGHTED SIGN INSTALLED (PHOTOS) - BETHESDA ROOFTOP RESTAURANT CONSTRUCTION UPDATE

Robert Dyer @ Bethesda Row: PANERA BREAD BETHESDA GRAND OPENING WEDNESDAY AT 6 AM! (PHOTOS)

Robert Dyer @ Bethesda Row: SMASHBURGER BETHESDA CONSTRUCTION UPDATE (PHOTOS)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 06:03 PM

349 posts, read 991,459 times
What does it say about Bethesda that it's teeming with Burger places (Krazeburger, Smashburger, and also the already-existing 'Burger Joint' in almost the same location), as well as Cheesecake Factory and Panera Bread? Do Bethesdans love their burgers, or what? LOL. What happened to all the good-quality ethnic eateries, such as Italian, Greek, or Middle-Eastern? Or is that perhaps too risky for the all-American suburban palate, which prefers bland overprocessed burritos and salads from California Tortilla and Panera Bread.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:23 PM

Downtown Bethesda, particularly Woodmont Triangle, was always known for a variety of locally owned restaurants and choice of cuisines. Hopefully, it won't lose that flavor. The new Roof is locally owned/operated, House of Milae just opened and is the first Korean restaurant in Bethesda, etc.

I noticed that all of the new development in North Bethesda/White Flint are chain restaurants (Roti and the like).

Old 12-08-2013, 07:45 PM

349 posts, read 991,459 times
Correct. I've noticed that too.

Downtown Bethesda does have Cava Mezze (Greek) and the new Shophouse Kitchen (Asian) which are really nice casual ethnic places. But other than that, it's your regular Cosi/California Tortilla/Panera Bread....

There are no good pizza or Italian cheesesteak shops in Bethesda. I can't for the life of me understand why no one throws their hat into the ring.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:24 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,404,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
What does it say about Bethesda that it's teeming with Burger places (Krazeburger, Smashburger, and also the already-existing 'Burger Joint' in almost the same location), as well as Cheesecake Factory and Panera Bread? Do Bethesdans love their burgers, or what? LOL. What happened to all the good-quality ethnic eateries, such as Italian, Greek, or Middle-Eastern? Or is that perhaps too risky for the all-American suburban palate, which prefers bland overprocessed burritos and salads from California Tortilla and Panera Bread.
All I wanna know is why Bethesda(and other parts of Montgomery County) are too scared to open a Deep Southern Style Soul Food Restaurants????

Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
The Cheesecake Factory opening is a little perplexing unless people are that hard up for Cheesecake Factory in Southwestern MoCo? This will make 3 (might as well count the one in Friendship Heights on the MD.DC line). Or could it be that they are taking into account the one at White Flint closing?

Old 12-09-2013, 10:20 AM

The Cheesecake Factory at White Flint is indeed about to close (from what I've read online), so the Montgomery Mall location will be covering much of MoCo. All of the CFs I've been to seem extraordinarily busy, so I guess the demand is there.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:55 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,749 times
Quote:
The market decides what restaurants go in what locations.. not history. Bethesda and most other "hip" parts of the DC area are becoming increasingly yuppified and catering mostly to the 18-30 alcoholic crowd.

The older, more quiet people and ethnic families are moving deeper into the county to places like Rockville, Gaithersburg, Damascus, etc.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:57 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,749 times
Quote:
Correct. I've noticed that too.

Downtown Bethesda does have Cava Mezze (Greek) and the new Shophouse Kitchen (Asian) which are really nice casual ethnic places. But other than that, it's your regular Cosi/California Tortilla/Panera Bread....

There are no good pizza or Italian cheesesteak shops in Bethesda. I can't for the life of me understand why no one throws their hat into the ring.
Mias Pizza is amazing (assuming its still open). Also Taylor Gourmet has some very good sandwiches.

Look around more.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:42 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
The market decides what restaurants go in what locations.. not history. Bethesda and most other "hip" parts of the DC area are becoming increasingly yuppified and catering mostly to the 18-30 alcoholic crowd.

The older, more quiet people and ethnic families are moving deeper into the county to places like Rockville, Gaithersburg, Damascus, etc.
Bethesda is hip and is becoming yuppified? lol I thought Bethesda was always yuppified. And "hip" and "yuppy" cannot be used together to describe a place. I never saw Bethesda as hip, but as stuffy overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland