Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,419,022 times

Advertisements

i don't get why that guy started trippin
just because you asked about your own
people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 04:00 PM

377 posts, read 666,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Actually it's not strange at all. American Blacks are conditioned to think that one drop of Black blood makes one Black. That's a minority experience in the diaspora. South African Coloreds have a distinct culture from African Blacks that goes beyond skin color. Many are from the Cape, descend from Malay slaves and speak Afrikaans as opposed to English or an African language.

So it's not merely segregation based on skin color but culture.
And it is still strange to me and disgusting.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:00 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,449,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
And it is still strange to me and disgusting.
I can definitely see how it's off putting to an American. We tend to be a little idealistic about the world.

Heck in some countries they're all black and they will segregate on ethnic lines. That's why I took issue with the OPs question. I'm aware of the damage tribalism can inflict and I hope folks aren't importing their issues here.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:42 PM

44 posts, read 90,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i don't get why that guy started trippin
just because you asked about your own
people?
Exactly. I have no idea why...

Old 05-29-2013, 12:55 PM

44 posts, read 90,496 times
Quote:
I can definitely see how it's off putting to an American. We tend to be a little idealistic about the world.

Heck in some countries they're all black and they will segregate on ethnic lines. That's why I took issue with the OPs question. I'm aware of the damage tribalism can inflict and I hope folks aren't importing their issues here.
I can see where you are coming from, being that any type of prejudice holds us back as a people. But I think it's quite clear as I said many times in this thread, that tribalism is not a factor here.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,449,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayo_olu View Post
I can see where you are coming from, being that any type of prejudice holds us back as a people. But I think it's quite clear as I said many times in this thread, that tribalism is not a factor here.
Yes you've made that clear. My comment wasn't so much a general condemnation of you I was just reacting to what I thought was an odd question. In America few people care what tribe you come from in Africa.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:29 PM

671 posts, read 1,548,669 times
As long as someone is proud being a member of the 'American' tribe, then I am proud to call them brother. Be they from Yoruba or Igbo tribes, or hail from Nigeria or Ghana. Our multicultural bonds makes us strong, but only so as long as we remember the one bond that unites us should always be the strongest bond of all.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,231,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
As long as someone is proud being a member of the 'American' tribe, then I am proud to call them brother. Be they from Yoruba or Igbo tribes, or hail from Nigeria or Ghana. Our multicultural bonds makes us strong, but only so as long as we remember the one bond that unites us should always be the strongest bond of all.
This! +1

Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,884,170 times
Quote:
Very specific question. Does it really matter? So you immigrated to America to maintain tribalism? This is what's wrong with immigration today folks aren't required to assimilate since we allow so many here. People can stay comfortably within their own little niches.

I say this with respect as a child of African immigrants.
Hahaha what an educated response. Immigrants were totally required to assimilate back in the day. That's why there's no documented research of Germans out in the Midwest continuing to speak their language 3 or 4 generations deep. That's why there aren't still very homogeneous Little Italy's throughout the country. Wait a minute...

The guy asked a simple question about ethnicity or subnational identity out of curiosity and you came back with some unrelated bs that doesn't add anything to the conversation. I've seen grandparents argue about weddings between Sicilians and non-Sicilian Italians before. It's not something new about immigrants "these days." Get over yourself.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,909,014 times
Quote:
Very specific question. Does it really matter? So you immigrated to America to maintain tribalism? This is what's wrong with immigration today folks aren't required to assimilate since we allow so many here. People can stay comfortably within their own little niches.

I say this with respect as a child of African immigrants.

I respect your post. You stated exactly what is wrong with immigration today. It's not what the government does so much as the immigrants themselves. People used to move here to become Americans; that was the point. Now people move here from wherever, further the microcosms of whatever society they left and eschew becoming Americans. Do you think that would go over if an American family were to move to their former country and expect to do the same? Never.
A lot of immigrants barely, if they even attempt to, learn English - Most Americans will work with an immigrant to try and understand. I am becoming loathe to anymore when I realize it is a regular occurrence in that person's daily ritual, they don't really care. People move here now to enjoy the deteriorating lifestyle we have but, rather than assimilate, keep to their little communities of fellow immigrants.
Sometimes I wonder what's wrong with this country and little things like this remind me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland