Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 PM

2,597 posts, read 4,660,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I have no use for Whole Foods expensive for no reason.
Yea and the fact they were exposed that their foods were not..whole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 PM

62 posts, read 189,151 times
I've recently started buy my meats from Whole Foods. I've never been to a Wegman's before but am looking forward to the one opening up in Germantown since I've heard so many great things about it. I've been shopping at Giant and Safeway for years. Recently my husband went to Whole Foods and bought some red meat and chicken kabobs. My gosh, the flavor and tenderness was amazing. Made me wonder what the heck I've been eating from Giant all these years. Seriously, the difference in taste was night and day.

Whole Foods is very expensive though and not close to my home so I can't shop there all the time. I've been waiting for years for some competition for Giant and Safeway. I'm not happy with either of those stores. Giant is one big processed food store. They don't have a large selection of Organics. I can't buy sliced deli meats because most of the workers cross contaminate while slicing meats. Touching trash cans and then go to touch food, not cleaning the slicer properly, etc. Once had some heavy shards of plastic wrap sliced off into the meat and ate it. Also, have purchased too many spoiled foods from the salad bar...and ate those too, unfortunately. Bought a 24 pack of water and started to put the water on the belt. The worker told me to leave it on the bottom of the cart. She went to scan the water and pulled it slightly off the cart...then, used her foot to push it back onto my cart. Thank you, but I'd prefer not to have fecal matter from the bottom of your shoe on my water bottles I'm going to be putting into my mouth.

Can't go to Safeway's bakery because one female baker's fingernails were filthy (looked like she had been working under the hood of a car!) and she was going to touch the cupcakes I was buying.

So, I really hope Wegmans can offer something nicer than what we've currently got up in the Germantown area. Maybe they will hire a more competent set of workers who won't bag raw chicken next to fresh fruits vegetables.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:35 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Burg Native View Post
I've recently started buy my meats from Whole Foods. .. My gosh, the flavor and tenderness was amazing. Made me wonder what the heck I've been eating from Giant all these years. Seriously, the difference in taste was night and day.
I am with you on the meat--the grass-fed beef is amazing. It's to the point that if I can't make it to Whole Foods, I don't bother eating beef. It's that big a difference--and worth the $.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,636 times
I have never been to WF but Wegmans was really nice.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:05 AM

1,261 posts, read 694,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosch80 View Post
Do you have a preference and why
First, I go to Whole Foods a lot because there isn't a convenient Wegmans near me. However, I do take the time to visit Sterling and now, Germantown, MD, new Wegmans stores and personally, there is no comparision. Wegman's are bigger with better variety. Better buffet food, for lunch or dinner, and a huge wine section. The prices? That I'm sure who has better pricing, depends on the item. But I love Wegmans.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 AM

I just looked at Wegmans in Maryland, I now wonder what their strategy is for locating stores. Is Montgomery County too expensive?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:28 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
I just looked at Wegmans in Maryland, I now wonder what their strategy is for locating stores. Is Montgomery County too expensive?
No, Montgomery County has an ordinance that is designed to keep Walmart out but also happens to affect Wegmans. It's based on square footage, number of employees and the presence of a pharmacy. Wegmans had to fight with the county for years to get in.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
No, Montgomery County has an ordinance that is designed to keep Walmart out but also happens to affect Wegmans. It's based on square footage, number of employees and the presence of a pharmacy. Wegmans had to fight with the county for years to get in.
I didn't know that. Thx. but Germantown is Montgomery County, no? There is a Walmart there...

Old 09-24-2013, 03:24 PM

304 posts, read 714,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
I didn't know that. Thx. but Germantown is Montgomery County, no? There is a Walmart there...
Yes, there is a Walmart in Germantown (a crappy one that looks like it's straight from Hicksville, USA... been there before, unfortunatley!) but the Walmart is a standard-sized Walmart. Wegman's are considered "hypermarkets" due to how large they are. A typical Wegman's is about the size of a large Walmart Supercenter. So, that's why Wegman's has probably has the issues they've encountered in Montgomery County. If Wegman's were the size of a standard supermarket, there may have been no issues at all.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
Yes, there is a Walmart in Germantown (a crappy one that looks like it's straight from Hicksville, USA... been there before, unfortunatley!) but the Walmart is a standard-sized Walmart. Wegman's are considered "hypermarkets" due to how large they are. A typical Wegman's is about the size of a large Walmart Supercenter. So, that's why Wegman's has probably has the issues they've encountered in Montgomery County. If Wegman's were the size of a standard supermarket, there may have been no issues at all.
Frankly, IMO, they are all "crappy". There is a new one in Tysons and it already feels like its old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland