Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 12:58 AM

39 posts, read 54,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not just Whole Foods. The Upper Marlboro Giant (Marlboro Crossroads on 301 just south of 4) got to be like that, too, as did the Safeway at the end of Croom Rd. on 301.

So I stopped shopping at both of them even though they were more convenient to stop at going home than going to the ones in Dunkirk. In all honesty there was another, larger, reason but the paucity of groceries at the stores pushed me over the edge to changing.

I also worked with people who lived in Upper Marlboro who stopped shopping at those nearby stores and went to Dunkirk instead.
It's sad that you even have to venture away from where you live to get some decent groceries. Can you share what was the other larger reason why you changed grocery stores if it's not too personal? I feel the more insight will better help to shed more light on how bad it is in Prince George's County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBornAndRaised View Post
I've lived in Prince George's County but worked in Montgomery County for most of my professional life. I live one block from Montgomerry County so for the most part most of the retail I visit is in Montgomery County. That's very easy. Bottom line though is I live in Prince George's County and the quality of life here continues to detriorate, especially inside the beltway, so I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out because the issues in the county are larger than just retail options. For the longest it's been tolerable for me becuase I spend so much of my life and money in Montgomery County I was OK. Not any more. Why can't we have nice things?
It's really sad. Prince George's County is becoming worse day by day. I don't know how it can sustain itself. The county isn't helping by building all these overpriced townhomes(which is increasing traffic), crab joints and other off brand eateries.

On top of that, the crime seems to be getting more out of control. Just this past weekend at the Ritchie Station shopping center in Capitol Heights, a 12 year old shot and killed a 13 year old while another 13 year old was stabbed. All of this happened during a fight that broke out at the shopping center. It was about 200 12-14 years old kids who weren't allowed in Dave and Buster's without an adult after 10 pm so they all congregated in the parking lot and that's when the fight broke out. It's a damn shame too. It's also a shame that these parents lets these kids roam free at night without any adult supervision; especially the way the world is today. I don't care that it was a Saturday. It's not even summer yet and it's getting crazy. I mean it's not even May nor has the weather really broke yet. This summer is going to be crazy in Prince George's County.

On another note, I know the Boulevard at the Capital Centre is still on track to be remodeled with new luxury apartments, restaurants, and a shopping center along with the new University of Maryland Capital Region Medical Center that is coming soon. That sounds all good and well, but the whole thing is going to be chaotic. I see no one has learned from all the crime that occurred from when the Boulevard at the Capital Centre first opened with the murders and all the car break-ins.

Hell, I still remember the shooting that happened at former football player Lavar Arrington's restaurant The Sideline at the Boulevard which resulted in one death and few others injured some years back. I'm wondering the same question as DCBornAndRaised...Why can't we have nice things? If I had to answer, I would say because it's too many people who don't know how to act and messes it up for the rest of us that do know how to act.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the news article about the shooting in PG County this past weekend. It also has video with news coverage of the shooting.

12-year-old boy arrested in deadly shooting of 13-year-old in Prince George’s County, police say:
https://www.fox5dc.com/news/12-year-...georges-county
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 03:47 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcitynewme View Post
It's sad that you even have to venture away from where you live to get some decent groceries. Can you share what was the other larger reason why you changed grocery stores if it's not too personal? I feel the more insight will better help to shed more light on how bad it is in Prince George's County. -
Actually I live in Calvert County, the groceries in Upper Marlboro were just more convenient to stop at on my way home from work. You are correct for the people living in Upper Marlboro having to. There's serious money in the area.

The major reason I stopped shopping at them, other than the stores degrading was not necessarily a reflection on Prince George's County, it could have happened anywhere.

Basically I got ambushed in the produce aisle by a student's parent. She wanted to have an impromptu parent conference and after twenty minutes, with the kid who actually had an "A" looking mortified, I finally said that I was under a time crunch (true) and if she wanted to have a parent conference she needed to call the school and schedule one.

I walked into my house forty five minutes later to the phone ringing. It was my Principal who wanted to see me first thing the next morning to discuss my rudeness to a parent.

I do have to add that "first thing in the morning" for him, and the rest of the Administrative team, meant lunchtime when he, and they, would roll in (school started at 7:45, I was assigned "additional duties" so I had to be there at 6:45). Which may illuminate another problem.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:57 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
It's not a great place. IDK if id call the common sentiment hate though.

Dirty, boring, considerable crime, unattractive nodes/thoroughfares, subpar schools, too much fast food, lack of shopping, traffic.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:34 PM

39 posts, read 54,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually I live in Calvert County, the groceries in Upper Marlboro were just more convenient to stop at on my way home from work. You are correct for the people living in Upper Marlboro having to. There's serious money in the area.

The major reason I stopped shopping at them, other than the stores degrading was not necessarily a reflection on Prince George's County, it could have happened anywhere.

Basically I got ambushed in the produce aisle by a student's parent. She wanted to have an impromptu parent conference and after twenty minutes, with the kid who actually had an "A" looking mortified, I finally said that I was under a time crunch (true) and if she wanted to have a parent conference she needed to call the school and schedule one.

I walked into my house forty five minutes later to the phone ringing. It was my Principal who wanted to see me first thing the next morning to discuss my rudeness to a parent.

I do have to add that "first thing in the morning" for him, and the rest of the Administrative team, meant lunchtime when he, and they, would roll in (school started at 7:45, I was assigned "additional duties" so I had to be there at 6:45). Which may illuminate another problem.
That's ridiculous. That parent was out of line and so was your principal. The encounter was after school hours and the parent should have understood. I can't believe your principal took the parent's side. No wonder why the school system and these kids are so messed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Dirty, boring, considerable crime, unattractive nodes/thoroughfares, subpar schools, too much fast food, lack of shopping, traffic.
You are absolutely 100 % right.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:38 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcitynewme View Post
That's ridiculous. That parent was out of line and so was your principal. The encounter was after school hours and the parent should have understood. I can't believe your principal took the parent's side. No wonder why the school system and these kids are so messed up.

You are absolutely 100 % right.
As the husband of one and the Father of two teachers that's mild ,there are parents that if I ever meet them I will hit them ,seriously.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:20 AM

9 posts, read 8,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

PG for sure has its issues but you gotta admit there is an undercurrent of hate behind a lot of the flack it gets

Old 05-01-2021, 04:30 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitlandFly View Post
PG for sure has its issues but you gotta admit there is an undercurrent of hate behind a lot of the flack it gets
Well deserved.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:42 AM

47 posts, read 56,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Well deserved.
For some areas it is. The problem for me is that the county as a whole gets painted with the brush of being one big ghetto with crime out of this world that has nothing going for it. Most of the people who **** on the county have never even stepped foot in it.

The county has it's good and bad just like any other place.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:04 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

Whats the big difference between outer-beltway prince georges county and the rest of the beloved DC suburbs

Anne arundel county 579k 19 murders
Montgomery county 1 million 17 murders
Prince William county 479k 7 murders
Fairfax county 1 million 16 murders

Outer beltway PG county 550k 11 murders

Old 05-03-2021, 08:25 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Whats the big difference between outer-beltway prince georges county and the rest of the beloved DC suburbs

Anne arundel county 579k 19 murders
Montgomery county 1 million 17 murders
Prince William county 479k 7 murders
Fairfax county 1 million 16 murders

Outer beltway PG county 550k 11 murders
But you don't get to count just the "outer Beltway Prince George's" and compare it to the entirety of the comparison Counties, two of which the Beltway doesn't even pass through.

And, for better or worse, no news report (which is how people form their opinions) delineates between and 'inside the Beltway" or "outside the Beltway" crime. They will state town names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland