Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 07:45 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesefourwalls View Post
No no, its all good! We are basically saying the same thing I'm not sure how to explain what I mean by the character or personality of a place........sorry, wish I could put it better. Sort of a subtle feeling type of thing........and that's just me, I'm weird that way. I guess by character I mean more like vibe of the land rather than specific peoples personalities, if that makes sense? I do understand what you mean about things varying from neighborhood to neighborhood. I'm used to downtown Cincinnati and Columbus OH and let me tell you, things can change drastically in the space of two blocks there, so I get you! And then there's just the fact that, like I said, MD/NOVA as a whole will just be different right off the top. Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned that I won't be having a paid work week job, so I'm free to drive around and see new things in different areas other than where we live. Maybe that explains some of my interest in the areas as a whole? Anyway, its all good. No offence taken, none meant

Oh, and what you said about people having different standards for things.....SO TRUE! LOL! Theres really just no way to know how to filter things like that. However.......that aside (really, that aside).......what I can do is find the fun and interesting things to check out. Which is obviously also personal opinion, but hey what does it hurt to see what people have to say, right? Honestly I'm pretty adaptable and enjoy new things, so I think it will be good.

Anyway, the facts are that y'all are stuck with my Pollyanna azz coming to your state in a few months, and I do have a few thoughts in my head and I will want to get involved, why else would I still be here talking to everyone....(unless MD is like the last town we were in which was like Stephen King writes about the Midwest), so there!

Anyway, I'm getting tired of feeling like im sounding like I'm begging people to tell me more, tell me more. Cuz im over that, even if it would be nice to see more casual postive conversation (but its your alls board so whatever, i just say it like i see it when I feel the need to do so ) I'm here, deal with it
No problem. I agree I think we were saying the same thing. Feel free to ask about the area. I know there are a lot of helpful people on here willing to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 03:36 PM

5 posts, read 6,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Thanks. It is helpful. So, PG has a AAA rating and is viewed as stable at this point. This sounds as if PG could definitely sustain more economic development than it is receiving. If so, then what's the deal? Am I missing something? Does it not sound as if race isn't playing a role?
Well ...; I'm not so sure....

Prince George’s bets on MGM - The Washington Post

Old 12-29-2013, 03:50 PM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesefourwalls View Post

(And I really do wanna learn to catch and pick crabs, but so far I haven't had any takers )
It's easier, and less frustrating, to buy them rather than catching your own.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:13 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's easier, and less frustrating, to buy them rather than catching your own.

What??? No raw chicken necks tied to a string and lowered from a pier for you, NBP? LOL. You're right. Once the novelty wore off, I gladly paid someone to steam them for me. I haven't caught and steamed crabs since the 80s. And now I'm more soft, so I don't want to be the one to steam them to death and hear them banging against the pot when it heats up.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 AM

254 posts, read 406,140 times
Quote:
What??? No raw chicken necks tied to a string and lowered from a pier for you, NBP?
That's not bait! That's good eating while the rest of the chicken is doin' (cooks treat)!

Quote:
........hear them banging against the pot when it heats up.
Thank you ever so much for the visual!

Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 AM

1,261 posts, read 694,583 times
This could help!

ttp://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/westphalia-is-bracing-for-a-growth-spurt/2014/01/05/5351374a-62ab-11e3-a373-0f9f2d1c2b61_story.html?hpid=z3

Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
More than two dozen elected officials from Prince George’s County — most of them backers of Maryland Lt. Gov. Anthony G. Brown — signed onto a letter Monday accusing Democratic gubernatorial rival Douglas F. Gansler of making “demeaning” remarks about the county during a campaign stop over the weekend.
Quote:
Among the Gansler comments cited in the letter was his assessment Saturday of amenities available in Prince George’s. Gansler, a former Montgomery County state’s attorney, said that when he was growing up, “You couldn’t shop in a mall in Prince George’s or go to a restaurant with a table cloth in Prince George’s. You had to come to Montgomery County or Anne Arundel County. And it’s not that different now.”
Read more: Gansler comments about Prince George’s were demeaning, Brown backers say - The Washington Post

Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Perhaps a slightly stupid and uninformed comment, but to say it was full of 'outdated stereotypes' or 'demeaning' is just plain ridiculous. Of course what he said about the malls was plain wrong but his perception of having a table cloth restaurant is just a matter of perception. Maybe they don't have the kind of restaurants he likes to go to, but honestly, what difference does it really make? If he wins the Democratic nomination, is this going stop residents from voting for him? There have been plenty of Democratic candidates that have said demeaning and stereotypical things about PG County and/or the black community in general, but they have been largely ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland