Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:21 PM

385 posts, read 1,920,324 times

Advertisements

NV Homes and Ryan Homes are the same company. Thus, NVR Mortgage (NV/Ryan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 01:42 AM

10 posts, read 25,804 times
your info on laurel anwers a lot of my questions i would love your assistance . i would be moving to creek court very soon and i hope you will be of help all tiny details would be appreciated.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,179 times
Can anyone advise where to rent in Laurel - Relocating this summer and need some help. What would be the best complex. Also I see there is a Main St was wondering if I should look for a place near there since I like the convenience of shops and restaurants where I live. Please help. Thanks

Old 02-12-2009, 02:29 PM

460 posts, read 1,876,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
As everyone on this forum knows (I think) I also live in Laurel in the Historic District. I have no problems living here, but that has been my experience. However, there are issues here. I don't think anyone should really fear for their life but there can be "events" that can be disruptive to your peace and quiet. I don't think Laurel "attracts" degenerates, I believe they are long time residents of this area. I think I had stated before about our little joke of "oops, there goes another one of Laurel's finest." Amazingly enough, prostitution is alive and well in this nice little town. Of course, definitely bottom of the barrel (at least they could try to look like they took a bath in the last month). I think at one time, Laurel was very inexpensive to live in. Over time, some of the locals have been priced out of being able to live a decent life.

I'm suprised about the comment about the cops though. For every incident in our neighborhood, they are here for us. Mostly its been for domestic issues with neighbors (luckily they are gone). Otherwise, its been fire crackers being set off at 3 in the morning, or a neighbor that decided to go hunting in his back yard because a ground hog was making his dogs bark. But, they were here and didn't tell us we were wasting their time and they had better things to do.
I also live in the historic district of Laurel and I'm glad to hear that the police force seems to be very responsive - we live very close to it and won't hesitate to call the non-ER line when necessary.

think a little community "policing" also goes a long way. When we lived in Frederick, we were in an end-unit TH that bordered a cul-de-sac. Over time, this cul-de-sac started to becoming a little hang out for teens to come over in their cars and either do a drug deal or sit there and try to smoke their drugs - it is shaded from the main street and isolated because it IS a cul-de-sac. The lady opposite us and I, since I was home with my kids and she did daycare in her house, were constantly policing that cul-de-sac (didn't hurt that the side of our TH had windows in the sunroom that looked out over it). My husband was a little hestitant with this b/c I was home with the kids during the day and the fear of teen retaliation, but I figured if we make it difficult for these people, the word will get out that don't bother going over there to F--- Terrace because you'll get busted.

After about 2 summers of this, the word was definitely out because you rarely saw cars you didn't recognize. Of course, that probably helped too. Everyone on our street recognized most cars of residents and friends/relatives of residents.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,032,208 times
I've been living for at least 25years in the historic district - about a block over from Main St.

There are some apts on Main St (not a clue what they're charging), however.. Main St is mostly the Post Office, a bank, a convenience store, a whole bunch of antiquey and 'stuff' stores and that's mostly it. It's not the most bustling place (which is why they keep having 'revitalizing' committees) The library is a few blocks up and over. there are tons of apt complexes all over - with quite a few on Contee Rd near Rt 197.

I originally lived in Fox Rest (right beside Fox Rest Woods and whatever the other one is near there). My BiL lives there now - it's gone downhill a lot and crime has gone up (I still think of the 3: Fox Rest is better.. and apparently not by much). Then we moved to Towne Center (which isn't in the center of town, it's on Contee!) which was ok -but we bought a house.

Wherever you end up, try to stay away from the apts lower down on 197 near the Parkway (Oxford Green? Burleigh Manor???)... there's something really funky there. I think it's groundwater, but it smells like septic all summer long!!!!

I had friends who lived in Foxfire off Contee for most of a year while their house was being rebuilt - never heard her complain about it. Electric heat I think, though - which means you pay for it.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:44 AM

83 posts, read 324,974 times
Another complex to avoid is Tall Oaks off of Maryland-198. I delivered mail there twice and, I didn't feel safe at all in that complex.

There are 3 complexes in the Russett part of Laurel: Camden Russett, Archstone, and Oakwood. Oakwood is the most expensive, Archstone the second most expensive and Camden Russett the cheapest. Camden Russett however has had some problems with crime. The biggest advantage of living in the Russett area of Laurel is you are minutes from the Baltimore Washington Parkway (Maryland 295). The parkway will take you straight to Washington D.C. or Baltimore.

There is a new posh apartment complex called Winchester (I think) on Contee Rd just down from Route 1. I don't know what they charge BUT I suspect they're not cheap. This complex is right next to shopping center with a Shoppers Food Warehouse, Longhorn Steakhouse, Coldstone Creamery, Applebee's, Starbucks, Chik-Fil-A and Chevy Chase Bank. Laurel Regional Hospital is about 8 minutes from this complex.

There is also new combination apartments and shop complex on Route 1 just down from the Laurel Racetrack entrance. It's location isn't the greatest and, I've heard it's a little expensive but, it is new.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:32 AM

66 posts, read 189,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmx Christina View Post
nothing personal, but i read a few things on this forum about ryan homes...
yea i would really look into ryan homes before moving in

Old 03-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
I've been living for at least 25years in the historic district - about a block over from Main St.

There are some apts on Main St (not a clue what they're charging), however.. Main St is mostly the Post Office, a bank, a convenience store, a whole bunch of antiquey and 'stuff' stores and that's mostly it. It's not the most bustling place (which is why they keep having 'revitalizing' committees) The library is a few blocks up and over. there are tons of apt complexes all over - with quite a few on Contee Rd near Rt 197.

I originally lived in Fox Rest (right beside Fox Rest Woods and whatever the other one is near there). My BiL lives there now - it's gone downhill a lot and crime has gone up (I still think of the 3: Fox Rest is better.. and apparently not by much). Then we moved to Towne Center (which isn't in the center of town, it's on Contee!) which was ok -but we bought a house.

Wherever you end up, try to stay away from the apts lower down on 197 near the Parkway (Oxford Green? Burleigh Manor???)... there's something really funky there. I think it's groundwater, but it smells like septic all summer long!!!!

I had friends who lived in Foxfire off Contee for most of a year while their house was being rebuilt - never heard her complain about it. Electric heat I think, though - which means you pay for it.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:12 AM

Default you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by missrpk View Post
Ive only heard bad things about ryan homes in other states but nothing in maryland. NV Homes are great from the models thats I've seen - the issue though is the affordabilty. Were loking at townhomes and NV homes is priced 150k over what we can afford. Any other suggestions......................

you are right NV can be expensive but prices should have droped .

Old 04-16-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanp View Post
Can anyone advise where to rent in Laurel - Relocating this summer and need some help. What would be the best complex. Also I see there is a Main St was wondering if I should look for a place near there since I like the convenience of shops and restaurants where I live. Please help. Thanks
to be honest iw ould move close to columbia main st is not that great i mean there are shops but nothing like columbia area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland