Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:28 PM

100 posts, read 154,678 times

Advertisements

Bethesda and Silver Spring would be optimal for your needs if it wasn't for the commute.

You may want to check out some of the new developments closer to Gaithersburg: Rockville Town Square and Pike & Rose.
True, they're kind of faux downtowns, but would be better than some other suburban options.

"Downtown Crown" is under construction in Gaithersburg...that may be an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 12:02 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,690,517 times
Yeah, it comes down to how much of a crappy commute you can stand. Gaithersburg I'd think is definitely too sleepy for you. Downtown Silver Spring and Bethesda are the best areas if you want something vibrant/walkable/dense (Bethesda is wealthy/polished - some would say boring. Downtown Silver Spring is more diverse/interesting - some would say gritty), but both are fairly unappealing commutes out to Gburg. Rockville would be an easier commute, but there's only a couple square blocks of a "town center" that consists mostly of chain establishments. It's primarily geared towards families, though the area is not completely devoid of nightlife as some of those chains are decent, e.g. Gordon Beirch. Ultimately, that's the trade-off - vibrancy v. ease of commute.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,612 times
Bethesda to Gburg is a reverse commute and it really isnt that bad. Especially for this area. I would love that commute.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
Thats well over a 30 minute drive, without traffic. Like today, they blocked off the entire beltway for a robbery suspect....
270, not the Beltway. How often do you think they do that? In 16 year here, it's only the second time. The other time that I remember was during the search for the sniper.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,396 times
As someone who moved from Philly to Gaithersburg, I'm warning you: don't do it. If the job is that good and you just can't refuse it, look at housing in the Kentlands area, it's close to the metro and therefore easier access to nightlife.
Living in Bethesda and commuting to Gaithersburg might be a little bit better of an option, but seriously, if I could, I'd move back to Philly in a heartbeat if I could.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:29 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,690,517 times
Comparing Philly to Gaithersburg, MD doesn't make sense on any level. I'm pretty sure anyone who takes about two seconds to research G-burg knows it has exactly zero of the (good and bad) qualities of Philly, or any city for that matter. If someone wants to live in a city then Gaithersburg is smack between DC and Frederick w/Baltimore also being a viable option if someone doesn't mind a commute on the longer side.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:59 AM

1,261 posts, read 694,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Comparing Philly to Gaithersburg, MD doesn't make sense on any level. I'm pretty sure anyone who takes about two seconds to research G-burg knows it has exactly zero of the (good and bad) qualities of Philly, or any city for that matter. If someone wants to live in a city then Gaithersburg is smack between DC and Frederick w/Baltimore also being a viable option if someone doesn't mind a commute on the longer side.
Philly is a real city, Gaithersburg is just a small submarket, there is NO comparision.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
270, not the Beltway. How often do you think they do that? In 16 year here, it's only the second time. The other time that I remember was during the search for the sniper.
Well I've been here 50 years and its happened, for various reasons, more than once or twice. My point was, its always something. An accident, snow, rain, a sniper, its always something and its getting worse.

If you spend one hour in your car, thats 5 hours a week, you lose a day of your life in traffic a month, or more. You do the math. A shorter commute is what people want, if they can swing it. That job has got to pay a lot for a bad commute, thats just me....

Old 04-06-2014, 08:02 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
Well I've been here 50 years and its happened, for various reasons, more than once or twice. My point was, its always something. An accident, snow, rain, a sniper, its always something and its getting worse.

If you spend one hour in your car, thats 5 hours a week, you lose a day of your life in traffic a month, or more. You do the math. A shorter commute is what people want, if they can swing it. That job has got to pay a lot for a bad commute, thats just me....
It's got to pay more to afford the shorter commute.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It's got to pay more to afford the shorter commute.
Depends on what city....town, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland