Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 10:34 AM

22 posts, read 80,798 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I'm looking to move into a 2 bedroom apartment somewhere along the red line in Montgomery County, within a mile (or 1.5) of a metro station. We're looking to stay under $1600. Anyone with any apartment community/high rise/etc. suggestions? We lived in DC for a long time, moved to Chicago for the past year, and are moving back to DC but won't have time to look at apartments.

For transportation purposes we would need to be along the red line, and within reasonable walking distace (a little over a mile shouldn't be a problem.) Just wondering if there is anyone reading these posts that lives in a place like this now and actually likes where they live

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 01:15 PM

9 posts, read 40,575 times
Default Bethesda / Rockville

For apartments near metro stations in your price range, you may be limited to older communities. The following are areas with older apartment communities in excellent neighborhoods:

Bethesda Metro Station: Apartments along Battery Lane or Bradley Boulevard

Grosvenor-Strathmore Metro Station: Parkside Apartments on Montrose Avenue

Twinbrook Metro Station: Apartments along Rollins Avenue and East Jefferson Street behind Congressional Plaza

The following website (http://gis.montgomerycountymd.gov/dhca/aptresults.asp?Area=BETHESDA-CHEVY+CHASE - broken link) lists details of communities from the Montgomery County Department of Housing and Community Affairs. Good luck in your search!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:42 AM

265 posts, read 1,063,596 times
Good description, Nober. I'm in a similar situation but looking for a smaller place (1 BR or studio).
I lived in one of the older buildings on Bradley Blvd. for a couple of years. It was affordable but unrenovated, noise in this old brick building was a major issue, and there was no place to park in the neighborhood (the lot filled up early) if you were out late. A colleague, on the other hand, has lived for a long time in a condo rental on Bradley La. and likes it OK. Apartment Ratings - Apartments for Rent with Ratings and Reviews from Actual Renters can be helpful.
I'd watch the Washington Post ads and include condos for rent. The only drawbacks IMHO with a condo is that getting repairs is more complicated, plus condos have a million rules and people who relish reporting the smallest infractions.
I would also not knock out rentals in homes (usually basement or "ground" level), usually more reasonable in price (if you can deal with having people overhead) and can be on a nice, quiet street not too far from Metro.
I'm not sure you can find something good in a 2 BR for $1600 but I wish you luck. An expensive area, as you know, especially for a good and safe neighborhood... and don't take anything sight unseen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland